No - I am not using 2 Stroke oil
51%
 51%  [74]
Total Votes: 145

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 93 <123 ... 232425 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

Regarding the biodiesel's winter-characteristics, indeed, the gelling point of biodiesel is quite high but the 2T oil is also increasing the viscosity of diesel fuel. Therefore, during cold periods, other actions must be taken for lowering the viscosity of the diesel fuel. In other words, besides biodiesel or 2T oil, other petroleum additives must be added to diesel fuel.

As for what I've said in the previous message, I don't doubt that adding a little 2T oil is beneficial for the engine. It is! I've seen it and heard it from experts in mechanics. Many workshops, even official ones, when rebuilding diesel engines and diesel high pressure pumps are adding a small amount of oil inside fuel, especially when starting that engine/pump for the first time after rebuild.

What I've tried to point out is the fact that, as Dave suggested, when you make a statement, it is better to back it up with evidence from your or others experiences / experiments.
And when somebody tells me that something is in a certain way, but he can't (or isn't allowed to) tell me why, I became a little circumspect... Sorry, maybe it's my technical nature, but this is the way I feel.
You have no idea how many things people are doing just because this is the way that they've heard from a friend, neighbor or so... And not always it is the right thing to do.
Fortunately in this case, adding the 2T oil is a good thing, but I am a little disappointed that the person who promotes this thing most is telling: It's OK, I know why, I have the proof, but I can't (ain't allowed to) tell you...

Ding ding..., another 2p in the life's jukebox... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #73395 4th Aug 2010 9:29 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Yes, Alex, I can fully understand the need for more scientifically-based information on the benefits of 2-t-oil. But not always life gives you a detailed description of how and why it works Smile Sometimes you have to rely on empirical knowledge. Numerous reports of people who tried this and are satisfied with the result are completely sufficient for me. Of course, I would be glad too, if I saw these advantages verified on paper Cool

Post #73431 5th Aug 2010 9:10 am
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

YF
Many thanks for your suggestions, and I agree with your comments re 500ppm and the environment.
My fl2 has been using 500ppm diesel now for 58k klm and I have consistantly changed the engine oil at HALF the recommended period ( in order to get rid of the build up of sulphuric acid). Would you comment on whether you feel the 500ppm diesel, which I have been using, has been providing sufficient lubrication for the fuel system components? and is it too late to start with the 2stoke ie has the damage already been done?
Bow down
OT

Post #73679 9th Aug 2010 5:36 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi ou toppie, your first question is difficult to judge as many other parameters will have to be considered.
But it is never too late to add the recommended dosis of 2-T oil to your diesel. As the 2-T oil has an astonishing cleaning effect on deposits build up in the engine and related parts (mainly soot and sulphor) you may experience some noise for a very short while (loosened deposits rattle in the exhaust), but such noise is normal and will stop soon.

YF

Post #75022 1st Sep 2010 2:06 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Many Thanks YF
Will start with the 2T and monitor the smoke etc.

Post #75102 2nd Sep 2010 8:17 am
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Can you stil buy Castrol-R, it may not be as good but used to smell wonderful. Wink Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75369 6th Sep 2010 10:59 pm
jjasper

United Kingdom 

Yes. http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp...de=090.915

Post #75381 7th Sep 2010 8:47 am
Ozie

Australia 

Dear Yamaha Fan, or anyone who has knowledge of the composition of 2 Stroke Oil.

First let me thank you folk and your forum, for allowing my presence, and particularly for this very informative thread on 2-, and most particularly YF.

I came across the use of 2- on a 4x4 forum here in Aus., and after rigorous research, and mostly from this thread, I began using 2- about 9 months ago. Of course another happy user.
On this forum the old thread has been resurrected, and various questions come up, mostly I can answer them from reference here, apologies if it seems like plagiarism, I do give credit.

So to my query: Does mineral 2 stroke have ammonia in its composition? Can't find the answer anywhere.

Also some of the folk here are using outboard (ie marine) 2-, I think from their research doing what our US cousins do.
Is this currently not the best option? When we, as yourselves, have everyday chainsaw, mower 2- available.

PS I realize that YF only drops in now and then these days.

Thank you,
regards,
Ozie.

Post #76966 26th Sep 2010 10:28 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Ozie, you are most welcome - even though I am only a guest to this forum.
If mineral 2-T oil has ammonia in its compound I do not know. But it is possible although I would think that semi-synthetik of fully-synthetik 2-T oils may be well off with a dosis of ammonia too.
Mercedes uses liquid ammonia to clean and re-generate their diesel particulate filters, and to meet EURO 5 and 6 pollution control legislation in their diesel vehicles.
2-T oil for marine appliances is typical for the USA under their stringent pollution control regulations.
But any semi-synthetic 2-T oil with JASO FC classification will do for our purpose, as cheaper and more easy to obtain.

YF

Post #77960 8th Oct 2010 3:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

85000 views of this topic, somebody must be using the info your supplying YF Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #77967 8th Oct 2010 5:03 pm
Ozie

Australia 

YF, thank you for your response.

npinks, I have read on this subject on forums all over the English speaking world, and it is amazing how many refer back to your forum, and YF's input.

ou toppie, how is your monitoring of 2T going?

Post #78081 10th Oct 2010 10:58 pm
flydive

Hello YF, just a quick question.

Would there be any problems using 2t oil in a car with DPF?

Thanks

Post #78146 11th Oct 2010 7:36 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

flydive wrote:

Thanks

Already been covered. Go back to page 1 and read through.

Post #78160 11th Oct 2010 10:06 pm
flydive

Past master wrote:
flydive wrote:

Thanks

Already been covered. Go back to page 1 and read through.

ok

Post #78163 11th Oct 2010 10:16 pm
Johnny2R

I'm not a Land Rover driver, but like huge numbers of people round the world, I've picked up on this fascinating thread elsewhere. I drive a Rover 75 CDT (which has a common rail version of the BMW 2 litre diesel engine) and for the last few months I've been using 2 stroke oil as suggested, with definite benefits in terms of quietness and smoothness, and almost certainly benefits in economy as well (I haven't done any strict testing but I've been struck by how far I've been getting out of a tank of fuel).

So, thanks very much to Yamaha-Fan for bringing this all to light and leading the debate so well. If it is all true, you have done a massive service to diesel owners worldwide. (And if it's all false, and some kind of scam, then you've done it with such plausibility that I'd hire you as my lawyer any time Very Happy). You mentioned that you are now driving a Qashqai 2.0dCi. This is interesting to me as my partner is looking to buy one, but as she does a lot of local driving (not exclusively) I am worried about the possibility of DPF clogging and am wondering whether it would be wisest to avoid a car with a DPF. My hope is that the use of two-stroke oil might make the regeneration interval long enough so that it is not an issue (meaning that once a month or so we'll probably do the kind of driving needed to clear the soot, but not every couple of weeks). Any DPF issues for you so far?

Post #79562 30th Oct 2010 11:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 93 <123 ... 232425 ... 919293>