Total Votes: 145

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 93 123 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
2SO - 2 Stroke oil and Diesel

To all interested:
due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

Yamaha-Fan

Post #6739 14th Sep 2007 5:39 am
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Bow down Bow down

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #6740 14th Sep 2007 6:31 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

yf Thumbs Up
However, are you saying that diesel owners should add some 2-stroke oil whenever they fill up their tanks, or should do that every now and then? Doesn't this affect other parts of the engine? How about cars without a c-pdf?

Post #6747 14th Sep 2007 9:33 am
evanessen

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi YF,

You mentioned 2-stroke oil as used in lawn-mowers etc. How about more sophisticated 2-stroke oils like Shell Advance Scooter 2T (fully synthetic, exceeds JASO FC, API TC, ISO-L-EGC)? Does it make any difference or will any 2-stroke oil do the job.

Eddy

Post #6750 14th Sep 2007 9:38 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I would be more concerned whether adding Two Stoke oil would invalidate your warrenty,

If you have something go wrong and they required to do a fuel test and they found two stroke oil in the diesel. Question

Post #6753 14th Sep 2007 9:59 am
yamaha-fan

To all:

Def: yes, fill in 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil with every tank filling. You will notice a surprisingly big difference in the smoothness of your engine running, the noise level is reduced, particularely when the engine is cold, and the fuel ecconomy will increase besides the described other advantages.
The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time.
Everybody who has used the 2-stroke oil in his/her diesel engine has confirmed that they could not have done better.

Evanessen: see above. Do not use fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, as too expensive, and you do not really need this high quality for your purpose. Semi-synthetic will do.

npinks: the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will under normal circumstances not be evident, as the 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel by forming an emulsion, which will not seperate.
As I have said, we have to undergo every 2 years a pollution control inspection by our TUV, and the emission values as measured are by far better with use of 2-stroke oil than without. I have not come accross any case in which a car manufacturer has waived its guarantee obligo for cars which have used this 2-stroke oil (off course, not knowing this).
Dismantling the test diesel engines after the 2-stroke oil test has revealed that such engines have been in an extroardinary clean and top condition. So why should any car manufacturer have any reason to waive any guarantees (for whatever technical reasons) if the concerned engine is otherwise in a clean and top condition.

Yamaha-Fan

Post #6758 14th Sep 2007 10:37 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Vauxhall told me they took a fuel sample to be analysed for anything been added (Petrol, Additives, Dirt) I think they was looking for some petrol in my diesel car that was misfiring and cutting out at motorway speeds. And couldn't find anything wrong on the computer.

It turned out it was just diesel in the car and 2 sensors had gone intermitantly on the timing belts, but if they found anything in the fuel I think I would have been having to argue with them. Obviously Fuel can not alter the sensors on timing belts.

But I wouldn't take the risk now and leave the two stroke to my lawnmower

Post #6762 14th Sep 2007 11:05 am
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

I mentioned this idea to my local dealer this morning while there on another issue.
Basically, he says "DON'T".
The engine has numerous sensors, some of them monitoring the fuel pressure, mixture, spray etc etc etc and additives may adversly affect the engine. it might be ok to use the 2-stroke oil on old diesel engines but the F2 is full of electronics.
Like the idea but i'll give it a miss. Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #6788 14th Sep 2007 7:13 pm
yamaha-fan

2-stroke oil

Wildrover, sorry having to say that, but putting this question to your LR-dealer was not very wise. What do you expect him to say. He has to go according to rules and regulations, and we all know how much non-sense some rules and regulation represent in practical and/or logical terms.
To answer your question: I use the homoeopathic dosis of 2-stroke oil in my Freelander 2 TD4 Automatic from day one (now for some months), and my engine is running fine, and the electronics do not protest. My fuel consumption with automatic is at present 8,8l/100 km, and the burn free process of my DPF (diesel soot filter) takes place at an average of 1.200 to 1.300 km (normally, without 2-stroke oil, this happens around every 600 to 700 km). Nobody can convince me, that this positive effect will do any harm to engine or electronics.
But it is up to everybody to decide,
Landrover recommends the use of Motor Oil for the Freelander 2 according to the Ford Norm 913B. This norm respresents the lowest available oil norm according to ACEA B1/B1 with reduced HTHS value (shearing stability). This norm is absolutly not suitable for the Freelander TD4, and if you want to destroy your engine soon, than you follow this recommendation. Annother example of unwise rules and regulations.
We are all aware that the TD4 engine is a cooperation between Peugeot and Ford, and Peugeot demands motor oil for their TD4 of a much higher quality than Ford. How come?
Yamaha-Fan

Post #6828 15th Sep 2007 1:06 pm
albert frederik

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Narvik Black

Good evening Yamahafan,

to be honest we have now driven 5000 km and our average consumption is 10l/100km

Question:
This burn free process at your car is it shown in the dash?? since i have never seen or experienced this yet.

regards albert frederik.

Post #6841 15th Sep 2007 5:18 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi,

Do you also recommend adding this oil to the enhanced performance diesel fuels eg "Diesel Extra".

Is it worth paying the extra cost to use these performance diesel fuels, or are they Rolling with laughter ??

thanks, Jimmy

Post #7678 1st Oct 2007 10:33 am
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: 2-stroke oil and diesel

yamaha-fan wrote:
To all interested:
due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

Yamaha-Fan

I've just tried this and added closer to 0.5 ltr (then 0.33 ltr) of shell 2 stroke oil to a full tank of diesel (the oil can slipped Whistle ).

Maybe I'm hearing things - but the engine did sound quieter - much, much less "rattle".

Anyone else tried YF's advice and added 2 stroke oil ?

Post #10202 17th Nov 2007 10:36 am
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Can someone please explain if adding 2 stroke oil has so many (proven ?) benefits why LR and other manufacturers don`t recommend doing it Confused Question

Post #10204 17th Nov 2007 10:55 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Goldstone69 wrote:
Can someone please explain if adding 2 stroke oil has so many (proven ?) benefits why LR and other manufacturers don`t recommend doing it Confused Question

If they did, it would mean that they admit their engines - or at least their sophisticated diesel injection pumps - are not adapted to the modern diesel fuel.

That wouldn't be in their own interest, would it ?

Post #10218 17th Nov 2007 1:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yamaha-fan

Why car manufacturers do not recommend 2-stroke oil

You may all know that Mercedes Benz have conducted in 2007 a long distance reliability test with a number of Mercedes E-Class 320 cdi from Paris to Beijing. Due to the fact that the diesel quality in East European Countries, Russia and China does not meet the DIN requirements, and Mercedes did not want to take the risk of their engines to flopp due to lousy fuel, the total tour has been accompanied by diesel tanks to re-fuel the E-Class cdi's. Selected members of the Mercedes clientele could apply to participate in selected parts of this test-tour, and advocats and notaries had to certify the correctness of this long term reliability test.
Although Mercedes does not like it published or made public, it is a fact that the diesel-fuel used for this test did contain 2-stroke oil to grease the high pressure pump components and to keep the engines clean during this marathon.
Why our car manufacturers do not officially allow the homoeophatic addition of 2-stroke oil to the diesel fuel has many reasons, mostly of legal nature. Besides this, which car manufacturer has any interest in excessive reliability of their engines? Their repair shops will have great problems.
Meanwhile the "2-stroke-oil to diesel" issue has attracted the interest of a number of Universities in Germany, as this 2-stroke oil has shown to have amazing poperties if added in a small dosis to diesel fuel (1:200), especially the positive impact on air pollution, reduced fuel consumption and improved long term reliability of the diesel engine. The pro and con discussions will go on for a while. But as soon as an accademic report has been published by one of our Universities, this will change very fast.
By the way: all car manufacturers reject the addition of any fuel "additive" in their cars, and warn that guarantee MAY be affected. Nobody says, that guarantee WILL be rejected. 2-stroke oil in its properties is not an additive, as you add oil to oil if you "dope" you fuel with a dosis of 2-stroke oil. The dosis of 2-stroke oil in your diesel-fuel is very difficult to analyse, as every (chemical) analysis has the main function to identify substances which are harmful. But 2-stroke oil has proven not to be harmful at all, on the contrary!
Personally, I use 2-stroke oil now for many years in all of my diesel cars (my present business car is a Mercedes 320 cdi DPF Automatic). And I never had any problems whatsoever.

YF

Post #10223 17th Nov 2007 3:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 93 123 ... 919293>