Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 41 <123 ... 192021 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Unfortunately Elon is Tesla's worst enemy. The value of Tesla has dropped massively since he bought Twitter.
This has effected Tesla vehicle sales, which has been compounded by the current economic climate. Tesla have 1,000s of unsold vehicles in stock, which is costing the company money, so they needed to shift them to claw back some capital, and the only way to do this was to trop the price.

This will have a knock on effect across the EV industry, which I think is a good thing, as the prices of them should start to fall, particularly on the second hand market. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #429374 29th Jan 2023 10:33 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

IanMetro wrote:
Nice to hear someone is enjoying one of the best EVs and it JLR.

I would be interested to know how the insurance on the I-Pace compares with that of the FL2, by a real owner, in real pounds.

It know it is very nice to drive, but I was worried that it's impressive turn of speed, combined with its list price, may take it out of my reach.

insurance raised maybe 15% on the change from disco sport to ipace, nothing shocking At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #429375 29th Jan 2023 10:37 am
pinhead

Nodge68 wrote:
Unfortunately Elon is Tesla's worst enemy. The value of Tesla has dropped massively since he bought Twitter.
This has effected Tesla vehicle sales, which has been compounded by the current economic climate. Tesla have 1,000s of unsold vehicles in stock, which is costing the company money, so they needed to shift them to claw back some capital, and the only way to do this was to trop the price.

This will have a knock on effect across the EV industry, which I think is a good thing, as the prices of them should start to fall, particularly on the second hand market.

Hold on there tesla do not have 1000s of cars in stock hurting profits
They are selling more EVs than the rest of the industry put together and have no problem with demand
They are ramping up production at texas and Berlin right now and if they get to a point where they have a demand issue they will just launch one of the other promised models to take up the slack
Tesla currently make a gross profit of 30% on each car sold industry average is just 7% they have a lot of wiggle room to make other manufacturers squirm if they ever start to become real competition

The latest price drop is the reflection of materials costs dropping they had gone very high so prices went up they are now back to roughly the same as 18 months ago nothing more to it than that
The problem with the price drops is tesla has transparent pricing meaning everyone pays the same traditional pricing models have a crazy list price and different discounts and promotions throughout the year and then you can negotiate a better deal too (currently at landrover you will wait 2 years for a list price car that may change from day of ordering or pay over list to get one now)
So essentially when a legacy manufacturer drops the price overnight you don't know about it in the same way

Then the share price
Have you followed the markets
Yes the value has tanked recently this has followed the trend of all the tech and growth stocks with the interest rate rises from the fed and inflationary pressures

With tsla this is compounded by elon selling off huge amounts of his shares to buy twitter short sellers and stop loss trades
Now the bottom seems to have been hit and prices are starting to stabilise and have risen since the last quarterly earnings report was above expectations Currently up 38% this week

Second hand prices
Yes they have been crazy high for a while now not following the traditional depreciation model this was caused by the waiting lists and lack of supply of new cars in the whole industry pushing many to buy a used car instead of new
Luckily this is now a changing picture and used values have taken a real nose dive
This has been very sudden due to the way tesla deliver cars at the quarter end so loads of pcp and lease cars have come on the market in 1 big hit the auctions suddenly got 3 months worth in a week
A used tesla has never been more affordable than today in the UK many still have a years warranty left and many years of battery and drive unit warranty

What's hurting tesla
Well in my opinion the decision to drop parking sensors from the buikd before the tesla Vision system was ready was a proper home goal with many cancelling orders because of this (luckily they have enough demand they just put someone else in the car)
Promised tech that takes much longer to materlise than they say
Software downgrades
Yes these same awesome software updates that keep the infotainment system factory fresh can also take away features that owners loved the ability to roll back to previous software should be possible
Opening up superchargers
This was tesla USP and really makes a huge diference to long distance travel no other network comes close
I understand the reason for opening up and its all de to legislation and planning but it really does spoil the experience an ipace for example has to block 2 charge points

Interior
Not everyone like the minimalist approach and everything on the touch screen
I think regulators have let this happen
There should be a minimum amount of functions available by standard position stalks and buttons that you can lay your hands on easily without looking
My early car has all this but the newer ones have much more on the touch screen
Service
Service was amazing in the early days they knew owners had paid vast sums of money on this brand new tech from a new company and they made sure you felt you had made the right choice they coukd not do enough
Now Service is very hit and miss they still do great things like a ranger at a supercharger will go round topping up screen wash checking tyres and sorting any small niggles you have for free
But then you get damaged in transit new car and they take 6 attempts to polish the scratches out and replace a bit of damaged trim that should have been done before delivery
I do really love my tesla but not sure if I will have a newer one let's see what the competition comes up with and that includes rapid charging networks

Post #429379 29th Jan 2023 11:39 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I am hoping that the 'Covid' Premium on prices works through the system and car production, delivery, and pricing returns to normal for all vehicles.

As seen with Tesla's sudden (about £5k) un-announced price drop there has been a bit of hidden profit making during the pandemic. Perhaps in the near future car buying will return to a more normal experience.

And unfortunately the early adoption of EVs has become an ideology, and what should have been a steady evolution from ICE to EV, has become a fight between the two dogmas of old and new.

I have been a 'would -be' buyer of the new technology ever since I expressed interest in the first Peugeot 3008 Hybrid back in 2012. They sent factory engineers out to demonstrate the vehicles, and they were a bit more forthcoming than the salesmen.
My engineer/demonstrator advised me that without the business tax advantage, the HEV could not compete against the normal car.

I just wish that the Government had spent all the money' given away as tax incentives, on building up a national charging infrastructure, and also subsidising a few EV Battery and Car Factories on British Soil. The way we are going is we will be left with (mainly business bought) foreign produced EV cars, and ALL others banned.

The way things are at the moment, EV cars do not make economic sense for me to buy, even though I have liked the ones I have driven. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #429388 29th Jan 2023 1:06 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Glad there are always different opinions..EVs Vs ICE!
As to who is right is another matter (people cant even decide on faith/god so EVs definitely will never be everybody's choice).

What people seem to do is only think of themselves and their situation but my consideration is also for those who are not as fortunate especially with regards to costs as EVs may be beyond their financial scope. So issues such as purchase/maintaining vehicle/cost of charging/tyre cost/insurance all play their part.
Therefore being able to own a cheap car is the only way forward!

Also they are not the solution to greener future and we should not be brainwashed to think they are Shocked

"Most of what you've said is fossilganda".....is this a neologism? (not the version as used in psychiatry, that would suggest illness)

Post #429395 29th Jan 2023 3:23 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I'd love to be in the position to own an EV, but unfortunately I'll have to wait until they're affordable, which will be some time yet.
I quite like the look of the MG 4 or Cupra Born, the latter being some £6k more expensive when new, for no real gains except for the name. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #429403 29th Jan 2023 4:45 pm
IanMetro

Nodge said
I'd love to be in the position to own an EV, but unfortunately I'll have to wait until they're affordable, which will be some time yet.

I think that just about sums it up for most non-business motorists! --- can't agree more. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #429407 29th Jan 2023 4:56 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

We bought an eMini late last year, a business purchase, to replace a privately owned Disco Sport
The wife will.use it mainly, school run, nipping around, going to shops etc. Ideal for a small EV. We are fortunate enough to also have other larger vehicles to choose from should we need 7 seats, towing capacity, longer range etc

£34,500 List price Inc VAT

We get the VAT back
The wife and I are both self employed within the business, so.comes off pur tax bill (estimated to be around £7k saving each Shocked )
The privately owned DS was sold, and we made an overpayment to our mortgage, saving nearly 3 years of payments and £10k in interest ( Shocked )
Then we don't have to pay road tax until 2025, so another £750 in savings for 3 years
Then fuel cost. The DS was doing 6k a year @ 28mpg, give or take £1500 per year in fuel (though it seemed a whole lot more) which is around 25p per mile

Even at todays energy prices, we can charge to 100% overnight for around £8, which gets us anywhere between 75-100 miles. Worst case, around 11p per mile, or £660 annually

All that into consideration, over 3 years, the Mini will have "cost" us, personally, only £1250, but doesn't include servicing/tyres/wear+tear etc. Neither does it account for when we sell it on

Had to argue with the man maths Thumbs Up

BUT...

We wouldn't have bought it privately. It only made sense as a business purchase Thumbs Up

Post #429414 29th Jan 2023 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

AT1963 wrote:
Glad there are always different opinions..EVs Vs ICE!

Ah.

You seem to have conflated your opinions (which you presented as facts) with the facts that were used to demonstrate that they were, in fact, incorrect.

Anyone can have an opinion, which is why on the whole they are worthless. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #429416 29th Jan 2023 9:00 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Mikey wrote:

Even at todays energy prices, we can charge to 100% overnight for around £8, which gets us anywhere between 75-100 miles. Worst case, around 11p per mile, or £660 annually

Interesting , for the same 6000 miles our Fiesta ST would cost about £900 in petrol. So there is not a lot in it.

But clearly the Mini EV makes a lot of sense for you for all the other reasons.

I was going to ask about insurance but there are too many variables; age, convictions, previous claims, location etc Jules

Post #429430 29th Jan 2023 11:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

'Elon Musk has made me embarrassed to drive my Tesla now'

"I wondered if people were making a judgement about me that I wasn't looking for."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64376727

FFS, Get a life. Laughing I mean everyone who drives a black Range Rover is a drug dealer or pimp, right ? Jules

Post #429431 29th Jan 2023 11:45 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

jules wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Interesting , for the same 6000 miles our Fiesta ST would cost about £900 in petrol. So there is not a lot in it.

But clearly the Mini EV makes a lot of sense for you for all the other reasons.

I was going to ask about insurance but there are too many variables; age, convictions, previous claims, location etc

Currently, in winter it's 11p per mile. When temperatures are warmer, and we don't use the cabin pre heat function, its down to around 7p per mile.

If/when electricity comes back down in price, it'll be cheaper still

But again, it doesn't warrant spending £34k to save a few hundred quid in fuel every year...

Insurance, can't answer. Trade policy covers everything Thumbs Up

Post #429433 30th Jan 2023 12:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pinhead

Fuel savings were pretty huge for us and the justification for getting the tesla but it does a lot of miles at the time of purchase my wife did 20k a year commuting this used to cost 3.5k a year just in diesel and that was before the prices went up
Until very recently all charging at home came in at 5.5p/kwh and worked out about 1.5-2p a Mile any supercharging is free for us too
When we first went on an EV tarrif we load shifts as much as we could to the cheap rate dishwasher washing machine etc and effectively it only added £20 a month to the electric bill
The car has never needed any services I did take it to cleevley EV for a service for peice of mind but other than a cabin filter it was purely an inspection it cost just over £100
Tyres last twice as long as they did on the astra diesel that it replaced
So all I'm all we seem to have swapped running costs for depreciation
Now the astra needed swapping anyway and it wad probably going to be a golf diesel to replace it if we had stayed ice
At the time a nice couple of year old low mileage example was £20k the tesla was £43k at 2 years old
Not sure on the current value of the tesla but £25k should be about right
A 16 plate golf is now about 10k with similar miles
So realistically it's cost 8k and saved more than that in diesel

So even without the company car tax incentives then they are still worth it if you do big miles

My new tarrif that I have just switched to is now 10p/kwh off peak so costs have roughly doubled but I can cope with 4p a mile still
The wife has a new job now for the same outfit but now uses her own car for business miles she roughly gets 5k a year tax free for this now so that's all going in a savings account to buy the next car when this one has had it

Post #429440 30th Jan 2023 8:07 am
oldseadog

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A very interesting take on EVs by Harry Metcalf

I'm going to hold off on buying an EV and stick to my good old diesel Freelander! -------------------------------------------------------------
1965 Series IIa Safari LWB White - gone
1982 RR 2 door Sahara dust - gone
2000 Freelander 1 3 door white gold - gone
1995 Discovery 1 200Tdi Biaritz Blue - gone
2009 FL2 TD4 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #429445 30th Jan 2023 10:57 am
IanMetro

YOU MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO

This is the best, logical, balanced description of the present state of EVs I have seen.

I found that, the more I watched it, the more I agreed with the presenters views and conclusions. It was very well researched and came to some very thought provoking ideas.

Thanks Oldseadog for posting it.

[/b] FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #429447 30th Jan 2023 11:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 41 <123 ... 192021 ... 394041>