Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > throttle hesitation at 2000rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

If you're getting some jerking... maybe have a read through this thread (throttle pedal) and see if any of their symptoms jump out at you - https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502-135.html

Let us know how it goes

Post #394447 19th Jul 2020 9:43 pm
FreelSol1

England 

Thanks. I'll add it to my list. Costs about £50 for a new pedal, so won't break the bank.
Can't see any mention of boost pressure release noise in the thread, but I still keep an open mind.

Post #394453 19th Jul 2020 10:22 pm
FreelSol1

England 

Remap the EGR?

I have spent a lot of time this year trying to get to the source of the throttle hesitation problem on my Freelander 2.
I could be completely barking up the wrong tree, but my conclusion is that the EGR needs to be remapped. I don't want it to be blanked, removed or 'remapped out' completely, but I want the EGR mapping to give 'sensible' values.

It has done 50,000 miles, so I am assuming that there is no significant soot buildup causing the issue in the EGR.

This whole story is below:
When I first started looking into this problem, it was suggested that the turbo actuator was at fault - I replaced the turbo, but this never solved the problem.

Eventually, after looking at various codes from my Foxwell diagnostics, I found that the 'Commanded EGR%' went from about 20% sharply up to 60%, then back down again within about 1 second. Also, the manifold pressure value decreased sharply at the same time, indicating a drop in pressure. This corresponded to the throttle hesitation so this is why I am investigating the EGR. An example graph is attached.

So, I went looking for 'EGR remap' on the internet and found a few Youtube videos.

According to one Youtube video: 'Optimizing EGR Operation using EcuTek ECU tuning software' from MRT Performance, there are many EGR maps already at work in your engine. I don't know the details of them, but I assume that in some/all of these maps, there are values that dictate how much the EGR valve is to be opened. There may also be values to command the EGR cooler as well. Unfortunately, EcuTec is only for Honda, Subaru, Missan, Mazda and Ford, not Land Rover.

So I need to find someone who will verify that all of this is possible and alter all relevant EGR maps to provide 'sensible' EGR values i.e. stay at max 20%, rather than shoot up to 60%. This means that the EGR will still be active (and do what it should legally do) but the throttle hesitation problem should be drastically reduced, and my MPG might be better as well (see below).

The other thing that might explain why my motorway MPG is low (approx 27mpg), rather than approx 44mpg that the dashboard 'Instant MPG' displays is that the EGR is switched on for most of a long motorway journey.
Should your EGR make you burn more fuel to reduce emissions at 70mph?
Here is a conflict between lower emissions while driving at 70mph against using 20-30% more fuel. Surely at that speed it's better to use less fuel (by reducing EGR) rather than reducing emissions on a motorway at 70mph.

So, my main objectives of an EGR remap are to:
have a small EGR value when running at speed (i.e. 5% EGR when above 50mph),
have a max EGR value of about 20% at all other speeds (rather than spike at 60% causing throttle hesitation).

This means I can have the best of both worlds:
the EGR valve will be used regularly to reduce harmful emissions by a reasonable amount, and
we can save fuel by reducing the EGR values while at higher speeds.

So, if there is a EGR map which uses speed as a condition, then this should be switched off, or a very low EGR value should be used.

I'm still waiting to find out from the person who did my ECU remap, if he can also remap my EGR, but if anyone else know how to do this, then please let me know.

This is a common problem, so if someone can remap the EGR successfully and cure the throttle hesitation, there will be a LOT of people that could benefit from this.

Post #399249 2nd Nov 2020 4:29 pm
Skifreak

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Hesitation at 30 mph.

Hello.
Thank you for letting me join the forum.

My Freelander 2 2007 105000 mile 2.2 diesel manual, has developed a hesitation at between 28 and 31 mph
regardless of the gear I am in or the revs. Once above this speed the hesitation clears.
There are no error codes on the diagnostic report.
One thing I have discovered is that if I select “ Sand “ mode, the hesitation does not happen.
Temperature makes no difference.
I would greatly appreciate any help or advice on the issue.

Post #403186 24th Jan 2021 7:35 pm
alex_pescaru

Remove the Haldex fuse and see if it happens again.
Ignore the temporary error.

Post #403194 24th Jan 2021 10:41 pm
Skifreak

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks Alex

I’ll try that and report back!

Post #403208 25th Jan 2021 11:30 am
KentLR

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Barolo Black

I know it's 18mths since the last post but I thought I would provide my experiences of this issue given I searched high and low for advice so hopefully this will help somebody.

I've just bought a 2012 auto (95k on the clock) with a FSH and appears looked after well. I have had the throttle hesitation just under 2000 rpm primarily when I am lightly pressing the throttle (it's a real drop and catch feel). The problem is not there if I give it some welly.

Anyhoo, I dropped some Wynns Extreme Diesel Clean in to the tank when about 25l was remaining and have run it down. The problem has noticeably reduced so I am hoping the concentration levels have given the system a good kicking and cleaned her out. Less clattering at idle after a run also.

I'm also a fan of the Liquid Moly 2 Stroke dosing as it worked a treat on my Fl1 so will let this run through, fill up tomorrow and then will start with the 2 stroke oil, every 2nd or 3rd tank.

Just my 2 bobs worth. Also whacked on the OBD when the problem was there and have no 'relevant' errors. Thumbs Up

Post #422893 1st Jul 2022 6:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234