Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2011 facelift 150bhp engine with intermediate missing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 17 <123 ... 91011 ... 151617>
Print this entire topic · 
TOGGI

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Soz folks new to this game Will stop Shouting Thumbs Up Ps Did shout when i fixed it fingers crossed

Post #352636 3rd Jul 2018 2:16 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

TOGGI wrote:
HI THERE ARE AT LEAST 4 PEDAL ASSY NUMBERS THE PEDAL LABEL DOES NOT HAVE A LANDROVER NUMBER ON IT BEWARE BUT IT HAS A MANUFACTURE DATE IF YOU BUY OFF EBAY DONT BUY ONE MADE IN 2011 I DIDNT CHANCE IT BOUGHT NEW AROUND 78 £ DELIVERED GOT MINE FROM MATFORD LANDROVER IT IS A DIRECT REPLACE MENT IDLE SPEED WAS BANG ON AFTER FITTING I HAVE PART NO FOR 20011 MANUAL GS RHD LR031902 BUT QUOTE VIN NO TO THEM ITS EARLY DAYS FOR ME ONLY FITTED FOR TWO DAYS BUT HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET CAR TO DO IT BUT BEEN BRILL IT DID IT EVERY DAY IN SUMMER BEFORE FINGERS CROSSED Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As far as I know, the part number for the pedal assembly is the same for ALL manual 150bhp RHD Freelander 2s. I ordered an ebay pedal before reading your post - the one I have bought is dated 2010 - but I'm only paying £15 including postage, so I've not much to lose if the electronics in the pedal I have ordered don't work in my 2011 car!! I will update here in a few days when the pedal arrives and I have given it a try.

TOGGI - Please post again in a week or so to let us all know if your car is still working well. Thanks! Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Last edited by SkyeGuy on 3rd Jul 2018 5:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #352659 3rd Jul 2018 5:55 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

TOGGI wrote:
Soz folks new to this game Will stop Shouting Thumbs Up Ps Did shout when i fixed it fingers crossed

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #352660 3rd Jul 2018 5:58 pm
pv3001

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Six weeks and over 1000 miles with no hesitation

It is now over 6 weeks and I have covered over 1000 miles since replacing the throttle pedal / sensor on my car. The replacement I bought from ebay had exactly the same reference numbers on the sticker, however the original pedal had a date of January 2011 and the replacement July 2011.

One thing I have noticed since replacing the throttle pedal is an increase in average fuel economy by just under 3mpg.

I am glad to hear that others are finding their problems are solved.

Post #352721 4th Jul 2018 3:50 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

pv3001 wrote:
dorsetfreelander wrote:
What does the connector look like and how many wires are involved?

There are six electrical connectors as shown

I have google searched and the throttle sensor appears to use a number of inductive proximity sensors, where the metal plate is detected by an electro-magnetic detection field produced by each sensor. A bit like a metal detector, hence there is no contact between the sensors and the metal plate.

In respect of temperature sensitivity, I bought my car last November and never noticed the fault during the winter. it wasn't until the warmer weather came along that the fault showed itself, but it could easily have just developed. Surely temperature sensitivity, if proved could rule out many potential sources for the problem.

My knowledge of physics does not extend beyond the use of google but it would be interesting to know if electro magnetic detection is or can be temperature sensitive.

The Throttle Position is the one which works with a 'Hall Effect' sensor. The Accelerator Pedal is described in the Repair Manual as below
Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor
The APP sensor is located on the accelerator pedal. The sensor comprises a plastic housing which contains two potentiometers and an analogue/digital converter. The potentiometers are connected to a common shaft which is actuated by movement of the accelerator pedal.
The APP sensor provides the ECM and the CJB with information relating to the position of the accelerator pedal.
The ECM uses this information to actuate the damper motor in the electric throttle assembly to move the throttle disc to the correct angle in relation to the pedal position. The APP sensor receives a fused 12V supply from the CJB, which is controlled by the ignition relay in the BJB. The CJB also provides the sensor with a ground.
The sensor provides two outputs; the analogue output is transmitted directly to the CJB, which in turn issues the signal to the ECM on the CAN bus, the second output is the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) signal which is transmitted directly to the ECM. Both the analogue and PWM signals transmit the same positional information.
The ECM uses the PWM signal to calculate the required position of the electric throttle disc in the electric throttle.

In the event of a failure of the PWM signal, the ECM uses the analogue signal received from the CJB as a replacement. If the analogue signal is also incorrect or missing, the ECM limits the maximum engine speed to 2000 rpm.

The PWM and the analogue signal are used for diagnosing faults with the APP sensor. If the ECM detects a difference between the analogue and PWM signals a fault code is stored. The ECM will use the signal with the lowest value for electric throttle control.

The APP sensor position and any stored fault codes can be read using a Land Rover approved diagnostic system.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #352728 4th Jul 2018 4:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Interesting, so it's a sort of duplex analogue/digital system with some sort of redundancy and fault tolerance. The only thing I can say is that when we had the hesitation problem the dealer said that there were no fault codes present.
My money is currently on LR having bought a batch of pedals in early 2011 with a few out of spec duds in there. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #352732 4th Jul 2018 5:35 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

So, after all these years, countless visits to clueless dealers (not in an offensive way), various experiments by members here, and it *looks* to be a problem with the throttle pedal....

Who'd have thunk it? Rolling with laughter

Getting mine from the garage tomorrow so depending on how much the clutch was, I may order a new pedal as I too suffer this.

Anyone know of Dan can offer a decent price? Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #352739 4th Jul 2018 7:17 pm
dorsetfreelander

I have said this elsewhere but we had a 60 reg and an 11 reg in the family at the same time and I drove both of them. I always felt that the throttle response was very different (ie the 11 reg felt more sensitive) but I put it down to the 11 having the DPF and other engine changes for the emission regs. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #352741 4th Jul 2018 7:24 pm
Chuckalicious

Mine is a 60, but a facelift with the DPF. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #352742 4th Jul 2018 7:25 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Mine is a 60, but a facelift with the DPF.

If you are fit enough - clamber into the footwell with a camera and get a photo of the sticker on your throttle pedal. It will have a date on it. I'm thinking that early 2011 was the date of the duff batch of throttle pedals. Probably all made in Mumbai on a Friday afternoon... Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #352744 4th Jul 2018 7:49 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Chuckalicious wrote:

Anyone know of Dan can offer a decent price?

How much would you pay to rid yourself of this stupid jerk/hesitation? I love my Freelander, but the car is entirely spoiled by the 'jerk'. If I don't find a cure soon, I will be trading it in for a Volvo, or a BMW, or maybe a Trabant...

...and then of course, because the dealers don't care about such things - some other poor s*d will get stuck with the jerk/hesitation issue in my car that I trade in.... Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #352745 4th Jul 2018 7:54 pm
Chuckalicious

Oh I'm happy to pay the full £70 odd for this but as there's the potential for a lot of members on here who may want one I wonder if Dan could do something for us.

My pedal has to be late 2010 at the very oldest as the car was registered 31/12/2010. But as I say it's a 150 TD4 Facelift. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #352746 4th Jul 2018 8:07 pm
dorsetfreelander

I wonder if a call to LR customer services would be helpful here, perhaps a discounted offer on replacements? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #352761 5th Jul 2018 7:53 am
Iguana

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Bali Blue

I've had my 2014 plate now for under two weeks and loving it Thumbs Up

I do although feel that at times, especially when cold, there is a little hesitance, or missing on occasions, tend to notice it in 1st or 2nd gears, but not seen all the time.

Perhaps it's my imagination, but just feels on occasions (Not all the time), that it misses or hesitates before finally pulling, once or twice also noticed a little spluttering, before the power smoothly;y comes in

Wasn't sure if the pedal issue was seen on 2014 models also? Thoughts appreciated

Post #352841 6th Jul 2018 1:24 pm
dorsetfreelander

I assume you have a manual TD4 2014. I can't answer the question as my current FL2 is 2014 SD4 auto and doesn't have the problem but one thing to remember is that from MY2013 onwards there appears to have been an alignment with the Evoque production line and a lot of the electronics are therefore different pre and post 2013. Perhaps worth looking at Evoque forums for inspiration? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #352842 6th Jul 2018 1:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 17 <123 ... 91011 ... 151617>