Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Anyone have any feedback on these.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Anyone have any feedback on these.

HB3 / HB4 Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LED Headlights.

Looking to upgrade my headlights to LED, these come at a cost but hoping because of cost & the fact they are Philips they will be a good replacement for halogen.

Post #406585 14th Apr 2021 5:42 am
Slobbox

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

At the risk of sounding like a Censored it does say on the website they are not legal on public roads.
As far as I'm aware no aftermarket LED bulbs are legal for normal use due to the spread pattern.
Taken from the Philips website:-

It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements.

The lamps are not permitted to use on public roads.

*Compared to the minimum legal standard for halogen bulbs. Up to +200% for Ultinon Pro9000 HL [H1] and [H3] types.
**For extended warranty (+1 year/ +3 years) of your Philips headlight bulbs, please contact our call center to register them.

Post #406586 14th Apr 2021 6:06 am
SWalker

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

also an MOT fail now Stewart
2007 Freelander 2 SE TD4
2007 A6 quattro 3.0 TDI Manual
1986 coupe quattro (kv) square wheels.
1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series

Post #406588 14th Apr 2021 7:07 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

200% brighter is not much brighter.

Brightness is inverse square. So you need 400% for twice as bright.

Here is halogen globe that are 100% brighter, basically nothing in it.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29503.html

The problem with LED is you may have more light, but if the spread is not exactly correct, ie more foreground light, it won't be any brighter in the distance where it is needed, more than likely less light.

Also 3200k globes have far better CRI than 6000k. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #406589 14th Apr 2021 7:22 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Anyone have any feedback on these.

blueboy wrote:
HB3 / HB4 Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LED Headlights.

Looking to upgrade my headlights to LED, these come at a cost but hoping because of cost & the fact they are Philips they will be a good replacement for halogen.

They're not road legal, and will fail the MOT, as well as not putting the light where you want it. It doesn't matter how bright they seem, if the light doesn't go where you want it, it's a waste for time, money, and potentially landing you with a prohibition order on the vehicle too.
Buy some second hand xenon lights for it instead, or stick to road legal conventional bulbs which are brighter than standard. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #406604 14th Apr 2021 12:36 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

This has been extensively discussed in another thread - they are technically illegal but if they are properly designed (LED position matching HB3 filament position) then they will give the same light output pattern and it is highly unlikely they will fail an MOT. Same applies to HID replacement bulbs for the HB3 as sold by ABD etc.

At the end of the day you have to decide what you are personally comfortable with. If you want to stick with the letter of the law then you have to stick with halogen lamps. If you do swap them then make sure the beam pattern is still correct because some LED bulbs scatter light everywhere and are a menace to other road users.

(the other thread - https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36279.html )

Last edited by congoblue on 15th Apr 2021 4:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #406648 15th Apr 2021 12:41 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Looks like the members are a set of upstanding, law abiding, citizens so no-one has tried them.

Give them a go and let us reprobates know how you got on. Twisted Evil Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406659 15th Apr 2021 3:55 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Would his 2007 MY have HB3 bulbs? MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #406662 15th Apr 2021 4:41 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

He has a 2014 HSE according to the other thread.

Post #406663 15th Apr 2021 4:42 pm
blueboy

tenet wrote:
Would his 2007 MY have HB3 bulbs?

Yes changed it now, I am just a little worried about the reliability of the halogen bulbs given all the negative threads about how poor the lights are. If a bulb goes while a fair way from home I have to drive with one headlight as the dip beam has gone as well, There is glass fragments in the left hand headlight from a previous bulb blowing I think.

I am always very legal while driving, keep everything well maintained & looked after, my insurers say they have no problem with it so as above its down to me to decide, I dont really want to spend hundreds or thousands trying to keep a set of headlights working & bright, I dont want to drive home either with one headlight which is far more dangerous in my opinion,

I was looking at the Philips as they are a respected company & they are not cheap ebay led's that will scatter light everywhere.

My headlights are projector types which from what I have read on the internet are more suitable for led or hid lamps.

Read quite a lot on different sites about led & hid lamps, it appears that legislation has not kept pace with new things like this for cars. I did read about the auto leveling needed for hid lamps which I dont have (only manual ) so thought the leds would probably be the better bet out of the two.

Post #406667 15th Apr 2021 5:32 pm
blueboy

I would just add that I am not a driver who dont give a damn about others & happily blinds/dazzles other drivers with cheapo over wattage lamps.

If I fit these & I am constantly flashed by others coming the other way I will take them out & have to think of something else.

I have driven the car at night & they are pretty poor in use as they are, I would ordinarily just upgrade the halogens to a better brighter halogen bulb but from what I have read that just makes things worse because more heat more problems.

Very surprised that Land Rover fitted such rubbish lights to a premium car.

Post #406668 15th Apr 2021 5:43 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

one of the reason that HIDs must auto level is also that they are an arc light, when they first strike up they point towards the floor to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406673 15th Apr 2021 8:05 pm
blueboy

Just to re-kindle this older thread of mine still looking to do something. Nights are starting to draw in a bit now & in the next month or two will try to upgrade my headlights.

I just spoke to my insurers (as just changing) she told me its not classed as a major modification & so did not want to know about it, I have the conversation with her sent by email just in case.

Still looking at the Philips Ultinon Pro9000 unless anyone out there has tried something else with good success. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

I keep pushing the escape button but I am still here.

Post #410891 1st Aug 2021 11:16 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Why not just use an HiD conversion instead, on a good set the filament will be in exactly the same point as the halogen bulb and give the same output (give or take a knots cock) as the LED bulbs, which can never give a perfect beam pattern as they are a two sided filament and do give 360 degree output.

HiD are just as illegal but probably less likely to raise an eyebrow at MoT time as Freelanders did come with HiD projector lamps on top versions. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410894 1st Aug 2021 11:53 am
blueboy

I was just a bit worried at MOT time as my headlights have a Halogen sticker on them, when they put the lights on they may notice the delay more easily as they warm up, mind you I suppose I could rip the sticker off.

Do the HID's get very hot, I dont want to melt my headlight reflectors.

My 2014 HSE would have been HID if it had been a HSE Luxury I guess, I bet it would still have the same headlight units that are in my car now, just have additional auto leveling & HID bulbs fitted instead of the halogens. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

I keep pushing the escape button but I am still here.

Post #410897 1st Aug 2021 12:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>