Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
LR halogen replaced with Philips X-tremeVision

Not a lot of difference. The globes I pulled out of the car were:
Philips
HB3 LL 12V 60W(E1) 22S
9005 LL 12V 65W DOT

The New globe is a Philips 12V 65W +100% X-tremeVision 3350K

The photo was 3 averaged photos each globe, white PVC Forex sheet background, battery 12.2 volts & the car was last used 24 hours earlier, lights off in the car & garage door closed.

Manual F8 1/100 second on a desktop tripod sitting in the engine bay, right head light, RAW file, colour temp set to 3400K for processing from RAW to Tiff 16bit:

Click image to enlarge

So "technically" speaking a smidgen brighter, probably not worth the effort changing. The original globes have barely been used as I don't really drive at night. But if you want to squeeze a little bit more light out of the headlamps without spending too much money it's probably ok. Not too many cappuccinos one would have to sacrifice! The 3350K globes are cheaper than the higher colour temperature globes. You will also get more light because they don't have a blue filter. I have blue filter gel for photography & the amount to light it swallows up is staggering.

I don't have any photos but my long gone Peugeot 504 from the 1970s had four round 7 inch halogen headlights. The outer pair were high/low 60/55 watts & the inner pair were high only 120 watts. So 360 watts of high beam. It lit the road up like a stadium. You could even balance the light stork between low & high to have everything on. 470 watts! But the alternator had a bit of trouble keeping up with the load.

Also had a pair of Hella 100 watt rectangular driving lights & another pair of yellow 55 watt fog lights. The fog lights were useful for goat tracks seeing the edges of holes. I took the driving lights off in the end as they really didn't add any more worthwhile light & 360 watts plus 200 watts gave the car a hammering. You could see the volt meter gradually dropping as the alternator could not keep up with the load, fortunately I had the largest battery you could squeeze into the car. With everything on, balancing high/low & parking lights there was 0.8 kW of light out the front of the car & then a few 100 watts KEF GT200 hifi.

I still remember you could feel the heat off the 120 watt globes a metre in front of the car.

I think proper reflectors rather than the projection lights help a lot, but it is a gut feel only as it is not something I can test.

I also prefer standard Halogen colour temperature due to the better CRI (colour rendering index) to the high colour temperature being used these days if using LED.

For those who have globes that have done 2000 hours of work I think it would be worth replacing. It was easy, undo the two 10mm bolts on top of the light assembly bolts, then press down on the small lever at the back. This needs a little bit of massaging to unclip & fold back. The right light was a touch more fiddly but overall it was easy to put the whole thing forward & out. So well worth replacing the halogen globes if they are ancient. & remember not to touch the globe glass. The most difficult thing was actually removing the globes from the Philips retail packaging! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325830 23rd Jun 2017 3:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1