Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Anyone have any feedback on these.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have never had any issues with HiDs being running hotter than Halogens, I’d be more worried about the heat and heat sink required for some LED bulbs.

Just make sure you buy the 35 watt HiD sets not the silly 55 watt high power sets, and keep the colour temperature down as well 4000/4300K is as high as you need go. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410911 1st Aug 2021 5:44 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

blueboy wrote:
I was just a bit worried at MOT time as my headlights have a Halogen sticker on them, when they put the lights on they may notice the delay more easily as they warm up, mind you I suppose I could rip the sticker off.

Do the HID's get very hot, I dont want to melt my headlight reflectors.

My 2014 HSE would have been HID if it had been a HSE Luxury I guess, I bet it would still have the same headlight units that are in my car now, just have additional auto leveling & HID bulbs fitted instead of the halogens.

Yes just remove the halogen stickers
HID conversions are the way to go if you want improved long distance performance. I can confirm that the headlight design and architecture on MY13 onwards are identical for models with halogen and HID units.This projector lamp was designed for HID, it was only a last minute cost cutting exercise by JLR to use the inferior flawed HB3 halogen design into all but HSE Lux and then Metropolis models.
However the HID conversions are illegal for road use and do breach current MOT guidelines, despite in the case of FL2 vastly improving night time vision and safety.
No problems with heat or damage to reflectors.
So it's your choice,. I would go with the HID kit or look for a set of OE HID Xenons , but they are rare and expensive.
Ps if you fit OE xenons you do have to have the car's computer tweaked by an indie. Main dealers won't do it. Costs about £50.
The only problem you have then is the lack of auto levelling and it's not really a problem, don't think it's even mentioned in MOT guidelines. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #410936 2nd Aug 2021 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Boxbrownie

Thumbs Up

I am sure there was/is mention of auto levelling in the MoT but basically it said/says if it’s fitted it has to work. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410937 2nd Aug 2021 9:47 am
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Lakelander wrote:
blueboy wrote:
I was just a bit worried at MOT time as my headlights have a Halogen sticker on them, when they put the lights on they may notice the delay more easily as they warm up, mind you I suppose I could rip the sticker off.

Do the HID's get very hot, I dont want to melt my headlight reflectors.

My 2014 HSE would have been HID if it had been a HSE Luxury I guess, I bet it would still have the same headlight units that are in my car now, just have additional auto leveling & HID bulbs fitted instead of the halogens.

Yes just remove the halogen stickers
HID conversions are the way to go if you want improved long distance performance. I can confirm that the headlight design and architecture on MY13 onwards are identical for models with halogen and HID units.This projector lamp was designed for HID, it was only a last minute cost cutting exercise by JLR to use the inferior flawed HB3 halogen design into all but HSE Lux and then Metropolis models.
However the HID conversions are illegal for road use and do breach current MOT guidelines, despite in the case of FL2 vastly improving night time vision and safety.
No problems with heat or damage to reflectors.
So it's your choice,. I would go with the HID kit or look for a set of OE HID Xenons , but they are rare and expensive.
Ps if you fit OE xenons you do have to have the car's computer tweaked by an indie. Main dealers won't do it. Costs about £50.
The only problem you have then is the lack of auto levelling and it's not really a problem, don't think it's even mentioned in MOT guidelines.

Thanks mate for your input, I am being swayed to the HID conversion a bit more now. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

I keep pushing the escape button but I am still here.

Post #410958 2nd Aug 2021 2:10 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Anyone have any feedback on these.

blueboy wrote:
HB3 / HB4 Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LED Headlights.

Looking to upgrade my headlights to LED, these come at a cost but hoping because of cost & the fact they are Philips they will be a good replacement for halogen.

I tried LED replacements for my HB3 bulbs- very disappointed - brighter nearby, but distance was worse - could not get a good beam pattern despite rotating them as instructed. I returned them for a full refund.

Ive had two HB3 blow within a couple of days of each other. I worried about loosing both on a long trip and then having only the LED sidelights. So I carried a set of HB3 bulbs in the car and a 10mm spanner.

I've since gone done the HID route. Jules

Post #410962 2nd Aug 2021 3:08 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

HID 👍 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #410970 2nd Aug 2021 5:23 pm
blueboy

jules wrote:
blueboy wrote:
HB3 / HB4 Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LED Headlights.

Looking to upgrade my headlights to LED, these come at a cost but hoping because of cost & the fact they are Philips they will be a good replacement for halogen.

I tried LED replacements for my HB3 bulbs- very disappointed - brighter nearby, but distance was worse - could not get a good beam pattern despite rotating them as instructed. I returned them for a full refund.

Ive had two HB3 blow within a couple of days of each other. I worried about loosing both on a long trip and then having only the LED sidelights. So I carried a set of HB3 bulbs in the car and a 10mm spanner.

I've since gone done the HID route.

Did you get the stealth 35W from autobulbsdirect ? if so any probs getting all the kit inside the headlight housing so nothing seen outside under bonnet. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #410977 2nd Aug 2021 8:37 pm
blueboy

An Idea that maybe if someone on here has HID headlights could take a picture of the headlight HID labels LH & RH I could make some stickers to replace my halogens. Just an idea but would look a bit more authentic. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #410978 2nd Aug 2021 9:00 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I would just take the stickers off.
I have HID Xenons but removed the stickers as I don't want to draw any attention to the fact that I only have manual levelling.
But really I don't think it is a big issue for MOT. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #410995 3rd Aug 2021 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Boxbrownie

blueboy wrote:
An Idea that maybe if someone on here has HID headlights could take a picture of the headlight HID labels LH & RH I could make some stickers to replace my halogens. Just an idea but would look a bit more authentic.

Not sure about the stickers but my FL2 HSE had the bulb type moulded into the headlamp lens rather than a sticker. Regards

David

Post #411007 3rd Aug 2021 1:43 pm
jules

blueboy wrote:

Did you get the stealth 35W from autobulbsdirect ? if so any probs getting all the kit inside the headlight housing so nothing seen outside under bonnet.

Yes, no problems. There is plenty of space to get everything inside the housing. Jules

Post #411042 4th Aug 2021 3:54 pm
jules

Boxbrownie wrote:
blueboy wrote:
An Idea that maybe if someone on here has HID headlights could take a picture of the headlight HID labels LH & RH I could make some stickers to replace my halogens. Just an idea but would look a bit more authentic.

Not sure about the stickers but my FL2 HSE had the bulb type moulded into the headlamp lens rather than a sticker.

Mine had a sticker - which peeled off by itself after 7 years. I searched but could not find any markings on the housing or lens to indicate the lamp designation. Jules

Post #411044 4th Aug 2021 4:02 pm
blueboy

jules wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Did you get the stealth 35W from autobulbsdirect ? if so any probs getting all the kit inside the headlight housing so nothing seen outside under bonnet.

Yes, no problems. There is plenty of space to get everything inside the housing.

They are out of stock at the moment, sounds the way to go tho given all the positive feedback.

Thanks to everyone for helping me decide what to change to. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

Post #411046 4th Aug 2021 4:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12