Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Move from E5 to E10 fuel.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Move from E5 to E10 fuel.

Apparently the UK is moving from E5 to E10 fuel in September ie fuel will contain 10% bioethanol. It seems that vehicles produced after 2011 are compatible but has anyone looked into the implications for older vehicles? I believe that it affects diesel and petrol. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #409933 9th Jul 2021 1:41 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

E10 could damage O rings, rubber fuel system parts and aluminium fuel system components. However the worst issue is the ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere, which causes the fuel to age faster, and can cause corrosion in the fuel system.

Diesel is now B7 (7% grown in a field, but isn't distilled to ethanol), which while doesn't cause the corrosion of the fuel system, it can damage the injectors and HP pump, as B7 is slightly more viscous than standard diesel, but not by much. It can also produce slightly more soot when burned, which can cause its own issues. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #409935 9th Jul 2021 1:52 pm
3landertwo

my local filling station has moved to E10

............. and Diesel at £1.30/Ltr !!!

Post #409939 9th Jul 2021 2:07 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

E5 has destroyed the pipes in my 90's daily driver, I'm dreading E10.

I'm having to change the rubber fuel hoses to Gate Barricade so the E10 doesn't turn me into a fireball.

PITA

Post #409955 9th Jul 2021 6:05 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

3landertwo wrote:
my local filling station has moved to E10

............. and Diesel at £1.30/Ltr !!!

I'm currently in Whitby… diesel in the area seems be £1.36+ right now. On Wednesday when I filled to the brim, my local two pumps and hay for your horse garage (the only fuel vendor in our sleepy little Derbyshire town) was £1.31 for regular Texaco diesel.

Post #409956 9th Jul 2021 6:20 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Shell, BP and Esso are all around the £1.36/7 mark in east Kent, Rolling Eyes
Seems to vary a bit in the west midlands as I've only seen Texaco or Esso
variable from £1.33 > £1.36. DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #409958 9th Jul 2021 7:24 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

129.8p in St Austell, Cornwall this morning. Big Cry 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #409962 9th Jul 2021 7:35 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Australia has had E10 at the pump for years, no compatibility problems. A lot of imported cars were specced to run non-ethanol 95RON, however. I should think that if you can run a fuel with ethanol in it the extra bit won't make any difference. I'm sure there will be debate and websites that indicate compatible engines. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #409970 10th Jul 2021 4:04 am
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

According to the uk Goverment web site is says Land Rover E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996.

With regard to fuel prices the 10 lowest prices range from £1.28.7 to £1.35.9 however, for those with a Costco card it was £1.26.7 for there premium diesel.

Post #409971 10th Jul 2021 8:05 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

He He don't you just love it when the environmental lobby screw up again.

So the environmentally friendly B7 diesel makes more soot that not environmentally friendly stuff.
E10 petrol is hygroscopic - pulls water out of the atmosphere and holds it in suspension, then as the fuel cools at night some of the water drops out. Next day it warms up and is able to hold more moisture, drags some out of the bottom of the tank and some out of the atmosphere, repeat the night and day cycles and you get a substantial amount of water in the fuel tank. In reality if you regularly do high mileages (not environmentally friendly) then you flush the moisture through so not a problem. If on the other hand you buy a plug in hybrid, so you might only use a tank of fuel every 6 months, then you have an issue with fuel sitting in the tank for long periods absorbing water, making environmentally friendly petrol unsuitable for environmentally friendly cars.

E5 petrol really does screw with outboard engines, where it holds water and corrodes aluminum fuel pumps and carbs - these can sit around for months in the winter not being used, E10 is going to be a nightmare, wonder if boat yards will start selling non-E petrol? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #409972 10th Jul 2021 8:17 am
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Quite so.....
All modern small petrol-engined kit which is not in very regular/frequent use should have the fuel drained out and then be run until they stop/run out of gas. E5 and E10 fuel doesn't store and if left in the tiny carbs/pumps etc on these machines, you're asking for trouble. So - outboard motors, gennies, strimmers, hedge-cutters and chainsaws etc., run them out of fuel before putting them away for more than a week or three. An alternative is to use 'Aspen' petrol (E0) but very expensive, or I believe there's a fuel supplier down in Sussex that offers E0 petrol on their forecourts.
I do follow my own advice on this - especially for my top-end Stihl chainsaws etc. My 20hp 4-stroke outboard engine does get used on a year-round basis, but I still add a generous dash of 'FuelStor' or similar to be on the safe side after a £300 call-out bill a few years ago when the (tiny, sensitive) carb got clogged up by E5/10. I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #410302 18th Jul 2021 9:15 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

What about 2 stroke mix using E10 ? does the 2SO protect the engine in any way.

Found this on the Stihl website...
E10 petrol will contain up to 10% renewable ethanol. This is intended to help reduce CO2 emissions, but we know that some of you may have concerns about how this will affect your petrol tools. We recommend in all of our owners’ manuals that you should only use high-quality brand-name petrol with a minimum octane rating of 90, but we can reassure you that petrol with an ethanol content of 10% or less, like the new E10 petrol will not cause a problem with your STIHL petrol tool.

In fact, our STIHL M-Tronic engines can still deliver full power when run using petrol with an ethanol content of up to 25% (E25).

However, petrol with an ethanol content of more than 10% can cause running problems in engines with a manually adjustable carburetor so should not be used in such engines.

As with any petrol, we would still recommend not storing your machine with E10 petrol in it, to avoid any blockages in the fuel delivery parts of the tool. We also recommend that you store E10 fuel for no longer than 30 days in order to minimize the degree of fuel segregation. This is where the moisture in the air binds with the ethanol and settles on the bottom of the canister. This can cause running problems and shaking the container does not completely resolve fuel segregation.

In some tools, it may also be necessary to readjust the carburetor to compensate for the changed composition of the fuel. We recommend that you visit a STIHL Approved Dealer for this.
 Jules

Post #413265 8th Oct 2021 11:51 pm
jules

What happens to the E10 in your car's tank if you leave it for a month or more (eg visiting rels in Oz for 6-8 weeks).
Should it be drained ? Laughing Jules

Post #413266 8th Oct 2021 11:54 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

in reality only loons like me get dragged away at a couple of hours notice for weeks on end, most people get a few weeks notice. I would suggest that they fill up with E5 for a couple of tankfuls before going away. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #413270 9th Oct 2021 8:22 am
jules

I wonder for how is E5 Super petrol going to be still available ? Jules

Post #413271 9th Oct 2021 9:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>