Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > All this talk of watches...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 22 <123 ... 1819 202122>
Print this entire topic · 
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

If you buy the right "expensive watches" you get the enjoyment of owning and wearing them and they can make quite a wise investment unlike money in the bank and most car people think nothing of spending £££ on a new high end car only to find it's worth half or less than the original purchase price two or three years down the road ... LR products are a very good example of this.

Post #402923 19th Jan 2021 6:48 pm
AmaraJohn

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bought myself a Breitling Navitimer in 1972. Was into sports and motor rally's and needed a stopwatch. Time passed and bought a Casio radio controlled watch with stopwatch world time etc. Became a geek to second accuracy. Sold the Navitimer for a small fortune at auction five years ago. Now I have a smart watch and take phone calls on it. I'm now at the age when I think I need "BEAM ME UP SCOTTIE"

Post #402924 19th Jan 2021 6:48 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

There was a bloke on Antiques roadshow this week with his dads beat up but very early Rolex sub. Again, Rolex subs are middle range tool watches. Have a look at it from 51:57. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000...-mansion-1 Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #402925 19th Jan 2021 7:06 pm
GundogSD4

Yeah saw that Thumbs Up, Are you very wealthy... Rolex sub mid range Shocked I suppose against A Patek maybe.

Post #402929 19th Jan 2021 7:51 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

But that Sub was valued on exactly what it was, a genuine military spec and service used watch with one owner and perfect provenance, it could go for more than the £50K estimate......military Submariner collectors really do splash out....see what I did there? Rolling with laughter

A normal high street supplied Sub of that age might go for as little as £20K. (which probably had a RRP of about £1K)......rarity and provenance is King.

I bought a Oysterquartz back in the early 80’s for about £400.....nobody wanted quartz Rolex then, it’s now easily £3K and going higher each year, the quartz Oyster Rolex are the rarest Rolex they made.....who knew?

I’d wish I’d bought a submariner while in the SBS though Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #402930 19th Jan 2021 8:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

GundogSD4 wrote:
If you buy the right "expensive watches" you get the enjoyment of owning and wearing them

I was recently reading that the expensive early smart watches are now obsolete. As every year passes they become obsolete like mobile phones. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #402932 19th Jan 2021 9:49 pm
GundogSD4

That could be said about most things, early Motorola brick phones are now worth more than they were when new as are early Apple computers, Atari games and so on...

Post #402940 20th Jan 2021 7:59 am
Boxbrownie

That is one of the points that puzzles me, people question why people buy expensive watches when they could use a mobile phone to tell the time and then go on to buy a new 600>1200 mobile phone every couple of years Whistle Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #402950 20th Jan 2021 10:48 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

My mind has turned towards Christmas already and with contributions from family plus putting money to one side over the coming months, I have decided that I want this:

Steve D, you have experience with Omega. This is £4,450 RRP which I am not wanting to pay. Swiss Watches Direct can supply it for £4,000.

Any thoughts on SWD? They get good reviews. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #407506 9th May 2021 9:04 am
Boxbrownie

Nice watch, that...or an earlier version was my first foray into watches, wow just realised it was a present for my 50th, only 17 years ago Shocked but it’s still used occasionally (I rarely wear watches nowadays I have retired) and never been serviced either, still keeps excellent time.

If your going to keep it as “your” watch it’ll be a great companion, if you might want to sell it (or flip it as is the term) in a few years then you might be better buying a cheaper Rolex as they just don’t depreciate. Regards

David

Post #407508 9th May 2021 10:16 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:

Steve D, you have experience with Omega. This is £4,450 RRP which I am not wanting to pay. Swiss Watches Direct can supply it for £4,000.

Any thoughts on SWD? They get good reviews.

So unlike you not to pay full retail Doc. That’s what married life does for you. Laughing

Yeah, SWD are fine to buy from. One thing I did when I bought mine was to take out an Amex card and use that to fund it - I got £100 back and two free airport lounge visits as well, then binned the card before I had to pay for the second years membership. Whistle Don’t forget to pay it off at the end of the month - IN FULL!

Im wearing my SMPc today with an Omega Nato strap - makes it very light. Thumbs Up

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #407528 9th May 2021 3:00 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

There is one thing to check Doc , before you part with your cash . Ask them if the watch is a U.K. distributor supplied unit , or is it a grey import . I say this as their website says that all watches come with the manufacturers ‘ international guarantee ‘ .
Now obviously that guarantee is good , but will the service be as good as you would get if there was an issue with the watch , and you went back to a supplying dealer in your home town ? . The suppling dealers may be authorised sure , but they may not be U.K.

I suspect that if you turn up at your local dealer with the intent to buy a £4-5k luxury watch , and you have a quote from SWD , you would be in a strong position to get price matching or near enough ( with the possible exception of stainless Rolex sports ) . I’ve certainly had 10 percent off a Tudor Ranger I bought (when I took my GMT in for service and it was going to be away for 4 months) and I know of several people who got discounts on less popular Rolexes .

Also your local dealer will do things like remove links from the bracelet If needed , to give a perfect fit , rather than you just using the clasp , take the hassle out of any warranty issue , and sit you in nice armchairs with glasses of champagne whilst you decide . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #407539 9th May 2021 5:28 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks both. Plenty of time for me to deliberate further and shop around just in case Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #407543 9th May 2021 7:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

MartynB wrote:
There is one thing to check Doc , before you part with your cash . Ask them if the watch is a U.K. distributor supplied unit , or is it a grey import . I say this as their website says that all watches come with the manufacturers ‘ international guarantee ‘ .
Now obviously that guarantee is good , but will the service be as good as you would get if there was an issue with the watch , and you went back to a supplying dealer in your home town ? . The suppling dealers may be authorised sure , but they may not be U.K. ....

Both my Omegas were grey imports - pre-registered abroad, unworn with all stickers and with all bar a couple of months missing from the manufacturers guarantee. Both have been off for repairs under warranty - the Seamaster (running slow) with less than a month warranty left on it and they paid for registered, insured postage. They fully serviced it and gave me a further two years warranty on the service. Bonus is, each time you get a nice free Omega travel case and hard shell to keep when it’s returned. Very Happy Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #407550 9th May 2021 8:47 pm
3landertwo

For those into watches.

Now on 19:00, Sky Arts (Freeview CH 11) is a bit on really old watches.

May be a repeat, may be of interest ??

Post #407610 11th May 2021 6:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 22 <123 ... 1819 202122>