« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Car Delivery Lead Times
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
New Car Delivery Lead Times

I have just had a call from JLR Dealer Sales Team.
My Metro is in for it's annual service on Monday, and it seems that they would like a quick chat around what I might think about replacing my car. I explained that I am not planning to change until my FL2 is nearer its 10th birthday, but agreed to meet a salesman/lady.

What triggered this note is that they said that with the long delivery times I should be thinking of starting the buying process off soon as it would be well into next year before I received a new car.

I recently started monitoring the Hyundia Forum as I was checking out what was being said about the Ioniq 5 EV, which seems to have the right size and looks for me. What I quickly noticed was that there were lots of comments (complaints?) about multiple missed delivery dates and delivery delays, stretching to nearly a year. Also certain trims/power units were not being produced, and things like wrong interior colours were having to be accepted.

I think that these problems with deliveries are quite common across all car producers.

Apart from confirming that owner's forums are always worth checking before making decisions, I can see that the only way that you can be certain of buying a car in a reasonable time at the moment is try to find a used one and pay the inflated prices there.

PS Oddly the JLR Dealer missed a chance of 'hooking me' by not being able to source a DS PHEV as a loan car for the day.
I did ask if it was possible.

Also, I have now been very happy with my FL2s over the last 10 years, and as it continues (touch wood) to provide comfortable, pleasant and reliable travel, I might be hanging onto it forever. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #422665 24th Jun 2022 1:57 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Save you loads if you did hang onto it!!
Even if the reason for getting rid at 10 years is the dreaded 10 year service (just had mine done £995-part dealer/part Bells auto) this price is probably about 2/52 payment/lease for new car Shocked
No brainer-save money and keep yours Thumbs Up

Post #422696 25th Jun 2022 10:09 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

What ever you do don’t be tempted by the PCP trap it’s a mugs game.

Post #422697 25th Jun 2022 10:18 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Not really. When you pay a PCP, all your doing is paying the depreciation you would have lost of you'd bought it outright...

Post #422701 25th Jun 2022 12:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Exactly you’re only paying for the depreciation then at the end of the contract your are faced with a massive final payment.

Post #422707 25th Jun 2022 4:05 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

One of my sons placed an order for a new Porsche 911 Carrera earlier this week. He had to put £5k down as a (returnable) deposit to get in the queue and he has been told that he will probably get it at the end of 2023. In about 3 months he will be given a build date. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #422711 25th Jun 2022 6:44 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I ordered a HiLux in August 2022 . Delivery estimate April 23 , now told it’s Nov 23 . I feel like cancelling it , but the other option is buying an overpriced used car . I’m also told that as I’m buying on discount scheme I can’t lose if I take delivery and sell on .

I do wonder If as a cash buyer for the HiLux I’m getting bumped back as various lease /PCPs are more lucrative to the trade than the discounted scheme from my shooting organisation

At the end of next month the Grenadier will be available for test drives , but delivery will be over a year . My farming friend Liz has just taken delivery of a Velar , all round that’s a very impressive thing but delivery is around a year . I looked at a new Subaru last week , again another but … but I don’t want petrol. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #422717 26th Jun 2022 5:08 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

What is causing this delay now? The covid excuse can't still be valid. I'd have thought manufacturing would be back to normal. A year + wait for any new car is ridiculous, as are second hand prices just now. Glad I've no intention of changing the Freelander any time soon. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #422719 26th Jun 2022 6:22 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

MartynB wrote:
I ordered a HiLux in August 2022 . Delivery estimate April 23 , now told it’s Nov 23 . I feel like cancelling it , but the other option is buying an overpriced used car . I’m also told that as I’m buying on discount scheme I can’t lose if I take delivery and sell on.

It was seeing comments like this, on many owners forums, that led me post my message.

What confuses me is that the salesmen seem to be still eager to sign you up, although in truth there is no certainty that a new car will arrive within a reasonable time. Even then, some people are desperate enough to accept the wrong spec or colour.

Of course, there are nearly new cars being sold at inflated prices (more than new price), but I would be reluctant to pay over the odds.

My own Metro is now 8 years old and is still JLR serviced and fully warranted (at a cost), and has had its major 7 year service last year. My original plan was to sell my Metro in it's 10th year, and still well short of 100,000 miles, giving the new owner a bit of comfort that it was still covered by the transferable LR warranty.

As I have been always intrigued by the latest technology, I have looked at Hybrid and Electric cars for some time but, so far, I can't see it making economic sense with my pattern and needs of driving.

So although my heart might delight in something new to play with, my head (and my wife) (and it seems quite a few forum members) says keep the Metro while it continues to give reliable and comfortable transport. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #422724 26th Jun 2022 9:31 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Bobupndown wrote:
What is causing this delay now? The covid excuse can't still be valid. I'd have thought manufacturing would be back to normal. A year + wait for any new car is ridiculous, as are second hand prices just now. Glad I've no intention of changing the Freelander any time soon.

Covid in the UK seems to have settled down, yes it's still here, yes it's still causing disruption - 3 out of 24 at our place currently off with Covid. But cars are built from components sourced world wide, have you seen how the Chinese seem to be dealing with it - stuff vaccinations, just put whole districts into lockdown.

We could go back to "The Good Old Days" where British Leyland would build a car with whatever came to hand - disc brakes on the drivers side and drum brakes on the passenger side anyone? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #422725 26th Jun 2022 10:05 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

British Leyland UK engineering at its best 😂

Post #422734 26th Jun 2022 3:30 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

As long as they don’t bring back the square steering wheel … oh and the special Allegro paint scheme .. dog **** brown ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #422735 26th Jun 2022 4:24 pm
riverblanche

England 

IanMetro wrote:

What confuses me is that the salesmen seem to be still eager to sign you up, although in truth there is no certainty that a new car will arrive within a reasonable time.

Hi,

There happy to take your deposit its something on the books and then wait to see when it might turn up Question
some dont even have a build slot to sell, but will still take your deposit (allegedly Laughing )

we ordered with Porsche in April last year with a 3 month (optimistic!) built time, we thought 4-5 months realistically and wanted to reg in Sept if it came in 3 months great but nearer 5 and it would wait till Sept
7 months later Thud it turned up.

Currently place an order and its 7-10 months Rolling Eyes were thinking next car Jan 2024 when do we order, Jan 2023 Shocked .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #422737 26th Jun 2022 6:41 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

All of this is in stark contrast to many years ago when I worked for an accountants who had the audit for a car importers. They stored the vehicles in yards in Kent where they awaited degreasing and preparation. A colleague had to audit that stock every year and found many of them still parked up from the previous count, obviously waiting to be moved on to dealers

Post #422740 26th Jun 2022 8:39 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

Bobupndown wrote:
What is causing this delay now? The covid excuse can't still be valid.

Here is a list of reasons all still valid.

Chip shortages worldwide.
Covid restrictions in China, causing much reduced output.
Travel and Container shipping is also drastically reduced from China.
War in Ukraine has closed factories.

The company I work for in the UK is also affected by all the above issues, and the only way around this is to order thousands of items six months in advance, instead of tens or hundreds.

Post #422743 26th Jun 2022 11:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>