Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How much vibration is acceptable in a SD4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Roddos

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Carrying a leak off test on the injectors is a good indicator, this could be done under load as well but you’ll need prob large leak off bottles

Post #398599 19th Oct 2020 7:48 pm
alex_pescaru

@sobrinho
Yes, that mechanic is right. A defective injector could cause those symptoms.
But, unfortunately, the SDD, for Freelander 2, can't show the injectors' balance, as the ECU is not reporting it.
Or at least, up until now, I didn't find the PID(s) for it.
So you can't know for sure which injector is defective.

Post #398609 19th Oct 2020 10:36 pm
sobrinho

Brazil 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

@alex_pescaru all bets are in the timing belt being slight out of time or the fuel injector since all the other options does not seem fit or have been discarded.

What's the best way to make sure it's the fuel injector? Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #398610 19th Oct 2020 10:42 pm
alex_pescaru

Maybe you should think the other way around, as the checking of an injector is much more difficult, with the DIYer tools, that the timing.
For the timing is just a matter of taking the timing cover off, slacken the crankshaft bolt, lock the shafts in place with the pins and then re-tighten the crankshaft bolt making sure that neither of the shafts will move at all. After this, the crankshaft peg should be exactly on the middle of the crankshaft sprocket slot.
Seems tricky now, but all will become much clearer when you will do it.

Post #398618 20th Oct 2020 8:36 am
sobrinho

Genuine diesel filter made no difference.

Auxiliary belt removed and made no difference.

The engine was a bit funny without it but probably because of that by itself and vibration at idle stayed the same.

The alternator pulley is good, same with everything attached to the belt.

I didn't check the timing because I don't have the timing tools or the appropriate tools to get access to it.

I'm afraid of being able to unmount but not mount everything back (the aux belt was a PITA to get back, took me almost 1 hour).

Turbo pipes are REALLY close to the carter protector (my finger doesn't fit between the pipe and the protector) but at idle it doesn't seem to be touching the body.

I couldn't remove the protector to be sure, my wrench is too weak, I need to buy a more appropriated one.

One thing I did observe though is a small movement in the front axles when I force it with my hand.

It even does a small "click" sound but it is the same on both sides.

Is that expected or it shouldn't have any kind of movement? Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #398638 20th Oct 2020 2:02 pm
sobrinho

Here are some videos of the engine running.

The first one you can hear something that seems wrong but in the second one (slow motion) you can't hear it, the strange noise seems to be from the belts side.

Do you hear anything out of the ordinary here?

PS: A/C was off just in case but nothing changes with it on or off. Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #398642 20th Oct 2020 3:42 pm
sobrinho

I did a small trip today (about 100km) and the car was shaking as usual.

When I got back home and used a generic OBD2 adapter, it got a DTC P2787(6Cool Clutch - Temperature too high.

No warnings/lights in the car, though. Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #398683 21st Oct 2020 3:41 pm
Roddos

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Not seen that code for a long time - suspect a faulty code reader as it refers to a manual clutch, and is controlled by an ecu, so in other words a manual clutch and manual gearbox but operates like an automatic, similar to the old Daf and Volvo system but without the CVT.

Last time I saw that code was on a Peugeot 1007, which was caused by the driver holding the revs on while crawling in traffic up a hill and causing clutch slip/overheat , Anyway really don’t think you have a freelander with that system

Post #398688 21st Oct 2020 4:54 pm
sobrinho

I believe the last garage done some test with the torque converter, probably the stall one, that might be the reason for the DTC.

Anyway, I cleared it and took the car for a drive and it didn't return, probably a false alarm.

Today I removed the Haldex fusible, the car popped dozens of warnings but the vibration while driving didn't change.

Next step: change all fluids.

Sometimes I have the feeling to be feeling a constant "scratch" in the steering wheel.

Starting to wonder if some of the wheel bearings aren't the culprit one, or maybe the differential itself.

Going to try to change all fluids and if the "scratch" is still there, I will pick an elevator to check if they aren't dying.

2014 MY isn't known to fail diffs/Haldex, even less the diesel version, but worth to check. Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #398690 21st Oct 2020 5:27 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

sobrinho wrote:

The first one you can hear something that seems wrong but in the second one (slow motion) you can't hear it, the strange noise seems to be from the belts side.

The "slo mo" video sound is interesting - to my ears its sounds if there is an irregular rhythmn to the engine cycle. I dont know if this is normal for a 4 stroke, 4 cyclinder diesel but I wonder could it indicate a injector or valve problem.

Has the cylinder compression been tested ?

Is it worth making a slo mo video of a healthy TD4 for comparison ? Jules

Post #398720 21st Oct 2020 10:40 pm
alex_pescaru

The "sane" engine from the first post: http://www.axelzone.ro/car/lr/engine.mp3
It's not as clear as it is dampened by the engine cover.
Still, the same pattern...

Post #398724 22nd Oct 2020 12:02 am
sobrinho

Indeed, looks the same.

I went to the Land Rover yesterday and they said that this vibration looks normal, if something is wrong with the engine or fuel injectors, doesn't worth testing due to the high cost of doing so (especially due to the lack of errors in the ECU).

One interesting thing though is that the vibration while running might not be related to the one in idle, according to an independent garage.

They also believe that the vibration on idle is acceptable but the driving one isn't.

Left the car there, let's see if they find anything. Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #398780 23rd Oct 2020 1:03 pm
sobrinho

Smaller front axl shaft replaced (driver's side) and the vibration is almost gone, 80% less I would say.

I can feel that the car still wants to vibrate but when it acts as going to, the vibration stops and goes back smooth.

Definitely something else still needs to be replaced but I'm out of options, so, I will leave it as is and assume that what is left is the factory behavior.[/list] Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #399089 29th Oct 2020 7:55 pm
sobrinho

The vibration/resonance is back so definitely not the small front axle.

Replaced the ATF, front diff oil, rear diff oil, and transfer case oil, no difference either.

The Haldex oil wasn't available and it is quite expensive so I didn't but tried to run without the Haldex fuse and no difference. Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #399598 9th Nov 2020 5:35 pm
sobrinho

Took to another garage and they suggested to lub the other front axl, they did and no changes Big Cry

Looking around, I found that the drive shaft (cardan shaft?) is a bit "loose" and if I try to turn it, it goes just a few degrees in either way.

Even it looks like the reason of the "click" noise when I change from Rear to Drive, a "cleck" happens sometimes.

Is that normal?

I will try to make a video tomorrow during the day. Freelander 2 2014 SD4 Automatic HSE Fuji White
CarPlay - WIP

Post #400385 25th Nov 2020 11:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>