Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Dieselgate rolls on for UK customers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

VW could potentially have to refund 100,000 owners in Germany if this court actions wins through.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3742325-ed90-4857-bc84-e295586b238e Jules

Post #390779 4th May 2020 12:59 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

VW clearly lied but how many of the people who bought their cars did so with an eye to those figures, very few I suspect. Majority of owners haven't been mis-sold anything, they're been perfectly happy with their purchase and didn't give tuppence about emissions at the time.
Bird at work has joined an action group but has no idea what the hell its about - she just feels she has a claim because she drives a VW. Truth be told, she likes VWs, has had one on a contract for years so simply keeps renewing it every two years.

Last edited by Sidthecat on 4th May 2020 7:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #390787 4th May 2020 4:26 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

My wife runs a 2013 VW Tiguan Tdi, we got the invite to have it 'reprogrammed' to meet the regulations when they developed the fix. Didnt bother having it done. Its still running great at 110k miles and a great car all round. We'd have aanother VW without any reservations. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #390790 4th May 2020 5:54 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My wife runs a 2013 VW Tiguan Tdi, we got the invite (invitation) to have it 'reprogrammed' to meet the regulations when they developed the fix. Didnt bother having it done. Its still running great at 110k miles and a great car all round. We'd have aanother VW without any reservations.

J

Post #390796 4th May 2020 9:07 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bobupndown wrote:
My wife runs a 2013 VW Tiguan Tdi, we got the invite to have it 'reprogrammed' to meet the regulations when they developed the fix. Didnt bother having it done. Its still running great at 110k miles and a great car all round. We'd have aanother VW without any reservations.

Our Audi Q3 was a brilliant car also, but it had the defeat software fitted, ran the same after the update......not sure what your point was Bob? Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #390806 5th May 2020 10:03 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Heard lots of reports of poor running, worse fuel economy etc after 'fix'. Rolling Eyes Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #390807 5th May 2020 10:09 am
Boxbrownie

That’s odd.....I never heard that, although I wonder if a lot of that might have been the placebo effect, if it’s changed and they cheated then it must be worse after.

My understanding from my buddies in emissions where I worked was the cheat was only in operation when on a rolling road test facility as the software detected no input from the steering and “knew” the first few seconds of the legislated test procedure and then went into cheat mode, when the update was applied it simply removed the cheat software and used the “road” software as from new, VW spent a long time trying to adapt the old software to meet their published figures but failed.

All I know is ours felt and drove exactly the same after as before, as was fuel consumption Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #390809 5th May 2020 11:30 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

VW are not idiots (well not all the time) if they could meet the emissions and have kept the same fuel economy and performance then they would have done. Why risk being caught and singled out as villains otherwise.
So in changing the software to meet the emissions then something has to give, fuel economy or performance.

Now performance might not necessarily be 0-60 time, it could be adblue usage, it could be DPF needing more regens, it might be higher EGR recirculation and therefore increased clogging and failure over time. It could be a combination of all the above, fairly sure VW are not going to let owners know the full extent of the downside to the modified software.

Now come on guys, get your cars software modified and save the polar bears (can't find an emoticon with tongue in cheek), Us DS drivers are doing our bit for the planet by having modern efficient engines with superb emissions equipment - where is that emoticon again? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #390811 5th May 2020 12:24 pm
Boxbrownie

That’s the whole point, they had to keep the same performance and economy as before the update (otherwise they really would have lost customers), what they couldn’t meet was the homologated emissions with the straight software, only with the cheat software on the dyno.

That is what all the legal action is for the emissions do not meet the stated levels.

And yes, they are idiots to have thought they would get away with it in an industry that looks over one another shoulders all the time, we had almost every other manufacturers vehicles in for tear down and evaluation continuously, I can categorically tell you the industry was stunned when it was discovered that VW would even contemplate something on this scale. We all used to “squeeze one past” (legitimately and with their approval) when we had TUV or Dot in to witness and sign off a test, but it was sensible levels of professional understanding of what was acceptable. VW didn’t break the rules, they threw them out the Censored window! Regards

David

Post #390817 5th May 2020 5:02 pm
jules

"Volkswagen bosses avoid trial over ‘Dieselgate’ with €9m settlement"

"Volkswagen put to bed one of the most potentially damaging cases in its "Dieselgate" scandal, paying 9 million euros in an out-of-court settlement to prevent its two bosses going to trial over market manipulation charges.

The German car giant's chief executive Herbert Diess and supervisory board chief Hans Dieter Poetsch were in September charged for allegedly failing to inform shareholders in a timely manner about the pollution cheating scandal in 2015."

https://www.france24.com/en/20200520-volks...settlement Jules

Post #391405 21st May 2020 10:22 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

The cost of "Fahrvergnügen: It's what makes a car a Volkswagen" Very Happy

Post #391415 21st May 2020 1:10 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Gtd

I had a strange undate on my 64 plate gtd.i was told my car was not effected by the scandal .then when they serviced the car they changed the lamba sensor.i asked to keep the old one for a spare .as it worked OK to me.they clamed up on me got very defensive and refused to let me keep it.sofeware update with no explanation but VW told them to do it.no confidence in them .ater all there car sales men.

Post #391439 21st May 2020 7:22 pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

One of my previous Transporter t5.1’s went into VW commercial dealer for some exhaust sensors in 2016.
When it came back it had less power, less responsive, and less MPG.

No sir nothing we have done!

As you have found this was not part of the effected models!

All wrong, Rolling Eyes

Post #391445 21st May 2020 8:21 pm
jules

https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen-has-r...n-package/

Unfortunately, in UK it just drags on as VW continues to fight any form of compensation for UK customers ...

In 2015, Volkswagen Auto Group admitted to placing secret software and cheat devices in more than 550,000 vehicles. These devices were used in the company’s diesel vehicles, which are among its most popular cars in the world. Many VW models sport a TDI or Turbocharged Direct Injection, which uses direct fuel injection systems. Many owners report that fuel economy is better with TDI models.

However, some of these tested vehicles would have never hit the road if the company would not have installed the cheat devices. After the Environmental Protection Agency noticed that there was a violation of the Clean Air Act, an investigation ensued. The EPA then found that the German car company had intentionally programed cheat devices to help vehicles that emitted up to 40-times the number of Nitrogen oxides into the air.
(sic) Jules

Post #394870 31st Jul 2020 11:09 am
jules

More VAG staff in the dock ...

"Three former board members at German car manufacturer Audi, along with a retired manager have been charged with fraud, criminal advertising and indirect false certification for their part of the "dieselgate" scandal."

https://dw.com/p/3gUqx?maca=en-gk-volltext...googlenews Jules

Post #395217 8th Aug 2020 10:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>