« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > conspiracy theory
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
conspiracy theory

Not that i am particularly prone to healthy sense of paranoia but i have a theory:

As we know fuel prices have skyrocketed and we are all suffering and out of pocket,

So how about the shift to EVs means ICE fuels are being given the chance to have hugh profits in the next few years as a bit of a golden retirement package as the new fuel providers electricity takes on the mantle of years of obscene profit.

All this Censored that we are saving the planet by buying EVs is also so wrong. EVs will only become co2 neutral after approx 7-10 years means that buying one brand new may not provide the carbon reduction you are told it will.
Honestly-how many of you will keep the car up to and beyond the point of it becoming carbon neutral??

Also- the clever bit is you are being led to believe that it is you who is responsible for global warming and as such you need to change your car as the single biggest thing you can do. However, this seems to suggest that global warming is our (the consumers fault) and not those who have caused hugh pollution from their methods production.

I personally feel that EVs have their place but so does conventional fuelled cars. After all correct biodiesel can cut co2 emissions by 90% but this is not being pushed as land is being used to rear animals which ironically produce emissions.

There you go....responses on a post card please Rolling with laughter

Post #422140 8th Jun 2022 8:32 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Totally agree. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #422150 9th Jun 2022 1:17 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just for balance I would like to say that I totally disagree.

I would like to say that, but ........

I believe that milk floats (OK fast milk floats) are a stop gap, the charging issues for those without off-street parking are not going to go away. Oil is too precious to waste burning it, and for the UK it's supply is only going to get more expensive.

We need an onboard charging system with a battery as the main propulsion - fuel cells possibly. While hydrogen is freely available and the technology (hydrogen fuel cells) is becoming mature I am not totally convinced that this is as yet viable - time for industry to gets it's thinking cap on. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #422156 9th Jun 2022 8:17 am
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: conspiracy theory

AT1963 wrote:
EVs will only become co2 neutral after approx 7-10 years means that buying one brand new may not provide the carbon reduction you are told it will.
Honestly-how many of you will keep the car up to and beyond the point of it becoming carbon neutral??

Well, as the batteries will need replacing within that 7-10 year life, the cost will probably be more than the car's worth, and surely you'll be triggering another 7-10 year carbon-neutrality cycle. Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #422157 9th Jun 2022 8:27 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Andy131 wrote:
Oil is too precious to waste burning it

Absolutely agree - its the base of so many things we really cannot do without.

Wonder where they get the plastics to make EVs from ? Jules

Post #422160 9th Jun 2022 8:42 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Manufacturers are moving to make use of recycled materials from...... old cars among other things.

Fisker are making use of plastics recovered from the sea for much of the interior in the upcoming Fisker Ocean. There's also a move away from leather towards other natural products and weaves - the Polestar 2 is a good example. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #422164 9th Jun 2022 10:08 am
pinhead

I disagree
As an owner of an electric car the hay day is over
The benefits I have had as an early adopter have been huge
And although oil and its products have gone up in price so has the price of everything else
The cost of charging a car away from home now is often the equivalent to running an economical diesel
The waits for a charge point are up as infrastructure has not kept pace with adoption
Batterys are getting better and more understood all the time mine has over 90k miles on it now and is performing well the new cars hitting the market now should be capable of 500k on the original battery (not all but some manufacturers are there)
Rapid charging times are dropping
I would not own a BEV if I could not charge at home or place of work just not worth the hassle buy if you can and do big milage the saving over the last 4 years for us have been huge
On the environment side don't belive all you read so many studies have been funded by those with a vested interest in fossil fuels its impossible to work things out unless you go really tooth and nail but BEV are better for the environment and they don't take 8 years to become so unless you are a super low milage user
On hydrogen its a non starter for cars far too inefficient it may have its place but not for cars IMO

But the big savings for going green are gone the higher purchase price and the high cost of electricity mean you have to work hard now to make it work out cheaper not impossible but a lot harder
on the price of oil going through the roof and having a pay day I disagree there too its nothing to do with EV'S if anything they are helping ease the pressure
All commodities have gone up I work on a farm and everything is pretty much double what utvwas 12 months ago
Red diesel,fertiliser,electricity,grain,oil seed rape
The only thing that's not up a huge amount for us (cannot speak about other sectors of ag) is spuds but they will be up next year for sure as all the pricing was done before the increase in inputs

Post #422170 9th Jun 2022 5:24 pm
axle

"On hydrogen its a non starter for cars far too inefficient it may have its place but not for cars IMO"
Are you sure?

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyotas-new-porta...-the-world Common sense isn't very common.

Post #422182 10th Jun 2022 12:52 am
pinhead

Quite
I didn't read your article as there is no point to explain my reasoning

There are 2 types of hydrogen production 1 is produced from fossil fuel and the other is produced by electrolysis
Only the second is classed as green for obvious reasons
Now let's use green electricity to produce enough hydrogen to drive 100 miles
Now let's just put that same amount of green electricity in a BEV and see how far it will travel
The answer is approximately 200 miles
Hydrogen is really quite inefficient and that's before you have dragged it round in tankers
I belive it will have a place though in areas where energy density is very important like aviation but in cars where its less important why bother
It's not really nice stuff to store or handle either and the equipment you need in a car make it an expensive option
Oh and you need battery still aswell although not as big you still need one
Hydrogen has 2 advantages energy density and it keeps giving fossil fuel companies hope

Post #422183 10th Jun 2022 7:53 am
axle

You didn't read it but you know it wont work! Common sense isn't very common.

Post #422185 10th Jun 2022 8:07 am
pinhead

Just to make you happy I have now read the article
It changes nothing its just a cartridge to facilitate simple refueling with hydrogen
It changes nothing about what I wrote above and why its not appropriate for cars

Post #422186 10th Jun 2022 8:33 am
3landertwo

Andy131 wrote:
Oil is too precious to waste burning it

they said that in the 70's during the middle eastern oil crisis.

that was only 50yrs ago ........................

Post #422187 10th Jun 2022 8:55 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I think that as a privileged car driver you are making a fundamental mistake.

I say privileged as you obviously have somewhere to charge a BEV - either at work or home, or maybe 7 hours shopping at the supermarket. There are a huge number of car drivers who don't have that luxury, forget public charging, there aren't currently enough working chargers for the volume of cars that presently need them, what's it going to be like three years after BEVs become compulsory?

I stand by my comments, BEVs are a stopgap for a privileged few, an electric car that uses an onboard generator is the way to go - Back To The Future anyone? Delorian with a fusion generator. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #422188 10th Jun 2022 9:23 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Agree with you Andy; I’d consider some form of hybrid, especially as Khan will inevitably be extending ULEZ next year to include all London Boroughs but there’s no facility here, or within a reasonable distance, where I could easily keep it charged. Until someone gets on top of that it’s a non-starter from my point of view. Despite all his blustering about pollution, getting non-compliant vehicles off the road etc ULEZ is presently a huge cash cow for him and will only increase next year.

Post #422190 10th Jun 2022 10:01 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

What is being missed here is that private car ownership is on borrowed time. Within the lifetime of many on this forum it will only be the wealthy who own a car - everyone else will subscribe to car pools and shared use models. The "freedom" to tie yourself to an expensive chunk of metal sat on expensive real estate for 23 hours of the day in exchange for the 1 hour on average you use it will be no more.

Lots of manufacturers are fully bought into this and are already working on how they can differentiate their offering. Pricing by quality and cleanliness of the transport that arrives at your address. Behavioural reward/penalties (if previous user has left it dirty there's a three-strikes and they're banned from that service for a mid-tier, but for "prestige" it's zero tolerance and you pay a premium for the "always new" experience).

The cries of "but what about my caravan/boat/trailer" - You subscribe to an appropriate service, either as a top-up for occasional use or full time if regular. Expect to pay more, in the same way we pay more for a Freelander than we do a Fiesta.

Charging ceases to be an issue in towns if vehicles return autonomously to a central depot for cleaning and charging before being added back into the service rota. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #422191 10th Jun 2022 10:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>