Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > My boot is stuck closed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Largered

FREELANDER 2

THE BEST 'FORD x FORD' x Far-eastern parts

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #383700 3rd Jan 2020 3:50 am
a100ian

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Very Happy Very Happy

Post #383708 3rd Jan 2020 9:42 am
a100ian

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Thanks again for all your help especially thehelper! It was great to still be able to use my car whilst I waited for the part to arrive. At first I used a different pattern part to the one I linked but it failed within a few days Shocked so I had to do the whole job again but this time with a genuine part.

As stated by thehelper; once I had the black plastic cover pulled down a bit I had access to the three torx bolts, removed the electrical plug, and I could then push the boot open.

I then tried to open the boot latch casing using two screwdrivers but I ended up breaking the plastic off (not that it mattered as the part was broken anyway) I wound out the plastic cog using a screwdriver until the lock came off.

Post #385679 2nd Feb 2020 11:33 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Should have looked at “ Tailgate Switch/Latch issues - All here” It includes how I fixed exact same fault back in 2013! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #385728 2nd Feb 2020 7:49 pm
brengun

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

thehelper wrote:
Same thing happened to me on my 2008 HSE. The lock was broken and would not release. I crawled inside and managed to get the large rear plastic panel off the inside of the tailgate. It took some tugging and would only come off at the top and sides as it loops over the lock. But I managed to pull it down enough to unscrew the lock from the tailgate. With the electrical plug removed the tailgate could then be forced open leaving the lock still locked on to the catch.
I then managed to lever open the plastic mechanism of the lock and spin the motor gears with a screwdriver and the catch opened.
I ordered a new lock from ebay.
Whilst waiting I refitted the lock temporarily but left the plug off and also the plastic trim panel. I found that if I short out the two outer pins on the plug, the car sees the tailgate as closed and I can lock the doors.
When the lock arrived I once again unscrewed the the lock from inside, forced open the tailgate, opened the catch with the screwdriver again. Once the new lock was fitted all was well. PS the hardest part was pulling off the plastic trim, closely followed by lining up the fasteners and refitting it. Good luck

Hi, wonder if you can help before I go any further. I now have the boot in the open position with the lock remained connected to the catch. How do I now remove this. I see you advise to lever open the plastic mechanism and spin the motor gears with screwdriver. No obvious to me where to attack with the screwdriver on the plastic housing. Would appreciate some advise please.

Had another look and just wondering that what is required here is just to smash the thing apart to get inside and turn the screw type mechanism to unlock/remove. Job for tomorrow now. New part on order. Appreciation confirmation that my brut force and ignorance approach is spot on...

Post #392212 8th Jun 2020 3:15 pm
brengun

Just to update. Followed advice above to get panel off and open door so just lock mechanism remained engaged to be removed. Smashed it open to expose screw to turn to unlock. Problem was that screw shaft had broken which was the problem. There is a little catch on the right as you look at photo that gets pushed open when screw shaft unwinds. Here it is over to the right which is the lock open position which allowed me to open. Hope this may help somebody in same position. My thanks to those in previous posts that have helped. New lock fitted this morning.

Must be a first as within a year I have replaced the switch to unlock and now the lock itself.

Last edited by brengun on 13th Jun 2020 11:56 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #392477 13th Jun 2020 11:48 am
3landertwo

you say .... Must be a first as within a year I have replaced the switch to unlock and now the lock itself.

well if its 1 in 350,000 cars build ...... then LR quality is excellent !

and I haven't allowed for the Ford range of cars that use the same part.

Post #392478 13th Jun 2020 11:53 am
brengun

No dramas for me. 08 plate and I have it for 7 years. Never been in a garage. I sort out issues myself with the help of this forum. Mate does servicing and big jobs. Motor going strong and I will run it into the ground. No doubt during this time I will be back on here looking for help. Cheers guys. Smile

Post #392480 13th Jun 2020 11:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123