Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Launch Control (Electronic Handbrake)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Hippo

United Kingdom 

It's amusing to read some of the comments but it should be remembered that although it may have the power to pull away fast, it's not ideal as it puts it under a lot of pressure. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #280013 1st Nov 2015 12:16 am
Powerful Pete

Wales 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi, I'm shortly to take delivery of a 2014 SD4 SE, with "launch control." It's my first Land Rover and first auto for sometime and I've been wondering what the best proceedure is when held at traffic lights and junctions (for economy and kindness to the transmission rather than drag racing considerations).

This thread suggests that the transmission is wound up if the car is held in D by the EHB so for economy should I use the foot brake and dazzle a following driver with the high level brake light or use N and the handbrake?

Pete.

Post #280353 4th Nov 2015 3:13 pm
taztastic

England 

I use the EPB all the time and it hasn't fallen apart, if its a long wait then pop it into N for a while, sitting blinding the driver behind is a pet hate, don't be a lazy tosser, use the EPB Thumbs Up

Post #280364 4th Nov 2015 4:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i use D and my foot, unless in long drawn out line of traffic, then i use D and my foot or P

Hand brake when i park it

Don't use it as Launch Control either, its a 4x4 not a sports car Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #280365 4th Nov 2015 4:26 pm
LOLER

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

taztastic wrote:
I use the EPB all the time and it hasn't fallen apart, if its a long wait then pop it into N for a while, sitting blinding the driver behind is a pet hate, don't be a lazy tosser, use the EPB Thumbs Up

+1 Thumbs Up MY 2014 SD4 HSE

FIRENZE RED AUTOMATIC

Post #280366 4th Nov 2015 4:38 pm
Powerful Pete

Wales 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

taztastic wrote:

Thanks, thats what I thought. and what I used to do on a previous car with auto. It was just that there seemed to be some suggestion here that using the EPB had the vehicle straining at the leash whereas the foot brake somehow disengaged the drive.

The catapult effect discussed here is presumably achieved because of the sudden release of the EPB under full load, whereas transferring right foot from stop to go pedals has less kick

Post #280374 4th Nov 2015 7:33 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Bill Turner wrote:
cqr wrote:
Would I kill a 2008 auto trying this
Standard hand brake ??

No you will not.
As I have stated on various other topics on this forum, I always brake with my left foot and accelerate with my right foot.

I learned how to do this during my period of rally driving. Keep your right foot planted to the floor as you enter a bend and hit the brake pedal hard to flick the back end out so corner is taken quickly and engine revs are keep in the maximum torque range. This method of driving was pioneered by the likes of Ari Vatanen and we all know how good he was.

I transferred this method to every day driving when I purchased my first car with an auto gear box some 35 years ago and have never owned a manual gear box car since.
Apart from eliminating the FL2 hesitation as suggested by others on this topic, if you are an urban commuter it is much more stress relieving.

Bill

Since I posted this in 2015 I have happily carried on left foot braking with no problems, but a discussion started at Wallasey Motor Club last evening which worried me.
According to several members all current makes of car with auto boxes will not let you left foot brake.

Apparently if you even have a fraction of throttle open if you touch the brake pedal the engine cuts out as the electronics think there is a major fault in the system.
Trying to get information whether this is correct on year 2016/7 cars as I am too old to be starting to learn how to change a life times habits and will stick with my 09 SE and refurbish it.

Any info on this scenario would be much appreciated.

Bill Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #323843 23rd May 2017 4:45 pm
taztastic

England 

It is correct Bill, nearly all autos these days cut the throttle and torque as soon as you touch the brakes, there is a delay before the power comes back on, I believe this is part of the issue when people say the car hesitates when at roundabouts etc, it's a safety feature, but a pain too.

Post #323868 23rd May 2017 9:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123