Post Reply  Down to end
Page 63 of 93 <123 ... 626364 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
issus

United Kingdom 

estoril wrote:
You guys might find this useful:

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

It would be if it was complete - for instance all Valvoline 2T Oils are omitted, they are a major player in 2t oils! Up the Cobblers

Post #178847 5th Apr 2013 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
2T oil

Filled up with Shell fuelsave diesel yesterday, after adding 300ml of 2T oil. The first start up today, at about 2 degrees was much quieter, and the diesel knock that has been apparent, when negotiating the local side streets with the engine cold, has gone again. Very Happy
I usually use a FB Shell Advance oil, or some Carlube from B&Q that seems just as good. I don't have a DPF, so the ash content is not a problem, with a later DPF equipped FL2, you need to ensure ash is as low as possible.

Post #178879 5th Apr 2013 4:33 pm
harrym1byt

United Kingdom 

DiscoGeorge wrote:
Hi Past Master

One of the most intriguing aspects of using 2sO in continental Europe (as well as in the areas in and surrounding Lesotho) is, that it improves cold start behaviour. This can most easily be proven in those vehicles, that are fitted with a Webasto Diesel Preheater. These tend to refuse to start during very cold mornings and if the diesel fillied is not of the highest quality. This then normally results in the unit producing copious amounts of gray smoke with a persistant refusal to produce warm air.

George,

I have a Rover, the earlier versioms of which were fitted by default with a Webasto, but on mine due to cost it became an option. Last year I fitted one and also gained some level of expertise on the Webasto and its problems. I'm the resident expert on the FBH in the forum I subscribe to. The smoke you mention and lack of heat from the FBH is nothing at all to do with the fuel. The smoke is actually atomised diesel, which the unit has been unable to ignite. The fuel is pumped through a jet at a platinum gauze, at the burner side of which is a glow pin, which is supposed to ignite the atomised fuel in the combustion chamber. The glow pin and combustion chamber coke up with carbon, sometimes to such an extent that the fuel fails to be ignited. The units are intended to be regularly service by Webasto, but only rarely do they get serviced, hence the smoke and lack of heat. Servicing them is just a matter of carefully chipping away the carbon after which they work fine, with no smoke - I doubt two stroke would make much difference to them. I actually run mine from a separate tank of red diesel, because that is permitted in the UK.

2T ifor the engine is a different matter which I have been considering doing for a while and I have just taken the plunge. I had no reservations at all about it, only about its value. My engine has always been extremely quiet, pulls like a train is reasonably economical and I have had no issues with it. I started adding the 2T a couple of weeks ago, so far I have noted absolutely no difference at all, though I will give it more time. That is not entirely true - My HP pump has a well known noise associated with it, which means it makes a slight noise on the over run, which is suspected to be a metal gasket edge vibrating. On various cars it varies between hardly noticeable to loud and annoying, mine was barely audible, but now that noise seems to have stopped since adding 2T. Harry Bloomfield

Post #179008 6th Apr 2013 7:36 pm
harrym1byt

United Kingdom 

Guy Wood wrote:
Found this at Asda yesterday - nice round fiver a bottle. Pretty sure my 1.5 dCi has no DPF as the manual says nothing about one and there is no light on the dash for one:

Click image to enlarge

Car's now on it's fifth tank with 2SO and it's going great guns Very Happy .[/img]

Morrisons supermarket sell 500mL bottles of Carlube 2T motorcycle oil at £2.00 - it is their standard price rather than a special. It is the FB rated (low ash), not recommended for DPF's. Harry Bloomfield

Post #179011 6th Apr 2013 7:44 pm
Squeegy

Hi

My first posting.

I have read this entire thread with interest. The FL2 website regarding adding 2SO seems to be the one everyone is referred to from other forums regarding this. I must confess I don't own a Land Rover(sorry) but because of this forum I have decided to try 2SO in my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe. I have also recommended my father tries the oil in his 06 Fiat Ducato motorhome.

I know on a DPF equipped car you use FC SPECIFIED oil and FB if it's not. So on that note decided to take the plunge and ordered two litre sized bottles of Castrol Actevo from Asda direct and delivered to store at £7.50 a bottle. Is there a cheaper FC specced oil available anywhere or do you just wait for the offers?

Can I also ask how many of your are putting 2SO in your new or nearly new cars fitted with DPFs? And I have not heard of anyone as yet mention they have had problems after adding 2SO. Is this still the case?

Thank you

Post #179023 6th Apr 2013 10:02 pm
noddy2

United Kingdom 

Unnecessary quote removed
Don't use the quote button to reply, thank you

Funnily enough I'm the same - a Santa Fe driver, but this one a 2008, so no DPF. I'm planning to do the same as my mpg has dropped from around 36 to around 31, plus it's been a bit sluggish. The car does mostly short journeys - so I think 2SO will really be helpful.

I've been converted by people's experiences so can't see any harm. I'm also going top try it on my other car - a diesel alfa GT.

cheers
Nod

Post #179111 7th Apr 2013 6:30 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have been adding 2SO for the past 2,000 miles or so. MOT done this week. Interesting to note the MOT smoke test emissions (@ 93,000 miles) have just about halved since last year (50 instead of 98.). What's changed? Regular doses of 2SO, that's what! Must at least be cleaning the injectors I guess. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #179386 9th Apr 2013 1:26 pm
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Very interesting read bearing in mind I have been running 2SO in my (non DPF) Audi A2 TDi for over 15k miles. The improvement in smoothness, torque, and reduced smoke are amazing having passed the MOT with a result the garage couldn't believe. I have been using a semi-synthetic oil, usually Comma. Now having added an FL2 TD4e to my 'fleet' (so presumably has DPF) am I correct that if I use FC spec oil I will be ok? Incidentally on the A2OC forum there is a thread with lab photos showing the results on the injectors of different 2SO oil additives compared with no additive. eh tu?

Post #179816 12th Apr 2013 10:47 am
NinelW

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I am really interested to use 2SO in all my cars and even in my tractors. I have found the following oils at quite a good price, 4pound per litre. I would like to know which of them are better. Bear in mind that I will not use it in DPF cars.

http://www.mol.hu/en/business_centre/produ...l_arol_2t/
http://www.mobil.com/Bangladesh-English/Lu...er_2T.aspx

Post #179990 13th Apr 2013 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
issus

United Kingdom 

NinelW wrote:
I am really interested to use 2SO in all my cars and even in my tractors. I have found the following oils at quite a good price, 4pound per litre. I would like to know which of them are better. Bear in mind that I will not use it in DPF cars.

http://www.mol.hu/en/business_centre/produ...l_arol_2t/
http://www.mobil.com/Bangladesh-English/Lu...er_2T.aspx

item 1] I would not use it as no where does it mention JASO Spec FC or FB
item 2] Mobil JASO FB maybe ok but FC is better. Check the thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Smile Up the Cobblers

Last edited by issus on 13th Apr 2013 6:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #179994 13th Apr 2013 6:30 pm
issus

United Kingdom 

damn buttons !! Up the Cobblers

Last edited by issus on 13th Apr 2013 7:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #179998 13th Apr 2013 6:50 pm
issus

United Kingdom 

Adrian,

FC grade should be ok at least according to this thread Thumbs Up Up the Cobblers

Post #179999 13th Apr 2013 7:07 pm
dunkley201

I have been using FB spec - bought from Asda @ £5 per litre. Looks to be the same bottle as that branded as "Carlube". Recently I saw what looked like the same but in 500ml bottles @ £2 (£4 per litre) at Morrisons. Fine for my non DPF model. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #180003 13th Apr 2013 7:18 pm
NinelW

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I have also found the Motul 710 full syntetic. I can buy a 208liter drum for about 2000 pounds. So one liter it will be 1 pound, which in my oppinion is fantastic. Also it is a FD oil, so I think it's ok for my Focus with DPF. I will continue to search for a cheaper oil.

Here are the full specs: http://www.motul.com/ro/en/products/38

Is it ok to use a 100% syntetic oil?

Post #180007 13th Apr 2013 7:35 pm
dunkley201

208 litres! Shocked @ 200:1 That would be enough for over 680 x 60 litre refuels! Are you running a fleet? 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #180011 13th Apr 2013 7:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 63 of 93 <123 ... 626364 ... 919293>