Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > To Oslo & back - Freelander 2 & Caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

dunkley201 - Without checking to see what others have advised here (including the ever knowledgeable CG Laughing ) there is several important things may help (and that I didnt realise when I first migrated here) Rolling Eyes

When driving in Sweden and Norway:
1). Dipped Headlights on (always) during daylight driving.
2). When driving on side roads that do not show you have the right of way (many) you MUST give way to traffic entering on the right at junctions and crossroads. Failure to do this may result in a dent and expensive bill to pay.
3). There is a 0-tollerance drinking & driving law. Do not even inhale your partners gin & tonic is my advice and if you do wait eight hours before sitting in the driver’s seat.
4). Beware the speed cameras - if you get blinked it will drain your holiday account. Most of the permanently mounted ones are all signed some way before, but you never know where the mobile ones will be. Road speeds here are much lower than in the UK, but best ignore the locals that drive faster that the speed limit (they know where the cameras are). AND….....
…..... While on the subject of speed - on the main roads unmarked police cars patrol in all types of vehicles, so a speed devil you see may well be a cop.
5). If you get asked at customs what all the gear you are carrying is for - its for personal use during your holiday - it is NOT for your son in Oslo as you may be asked to pay import duty on it all.
6). Again if you get stopped at customs, ensure you do not have over the limit of tax free. Booze is expensive here and they are hot on the heels of "smugglers" Whistle

Hope this helps a little Question - PM me if you need any more info I can help a fellow Brit with in this land of trolls and driving regulations. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #136885 20th Mar 2012 8:37 am
LRCRAZY321

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
trip

I think its a legal requirement to have your headlights on at all times in denmark and i'm sure that goes for the rest of scandinavia,plus don't speed in germany on the autobahn where a limit applies as you will get done on the spot with a cash only fine,the crafty beggars have great hiding places and you won't know you've been nicked until it's too late,if you are in fact going via germany and flensburg try to hit the ELBE TUNNEL before or after rush hour as it gets very busy and with major roadworks in this location now it's a nightmare..alle ist klar Thumbs Up 57 tambora flame SE mud flaps,side strips,twin s/roofs,18"HSE wheels,courtesy lights on w/mirrors

58 saab 93 convertible vector sport 1.9 TTid 180

Post #136897 20th Mar 2012 9:58 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

julytourist wrote:
Had a great time but main complaint was the price of Scotch..... JT

Thanks for the tip JT. I had already planned to ensure we had the maximum permitted - especially Scotch. I won't go over the limit though, I could risk losing the lot and maybe a fine too! (and that would definitely take the shine off the trip) 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #136996 20th Mar 2012 9:58 pm
dunkley201

AndyC wrote:
dunkley201 - Without checking to see what others have advised here (including the ever knowledgeable CG Laughing ) .....

Thanks for the helpful reply Andy. You may not be surprised, you have already been mentioned in dispatches!

There are some useful tips there. Although I already knew about 1) & 3), the others make perfect sense. We intend to store most of the instruments etc under the bunks. A lot of the other kit will look no different to ours anyway. IME, so far, at other customs points, they rarely show interest in caravan contents, in fact the only time I have had a customs man show any interest at all was at Portsmouth! And there he just did a walk through! Forewarned is forearmed though! Regards speed limits, I understand that generally it is 80kph on main roads and 50kph in towns - is that about right? Any different for towing?

pm me if you need any UK bought spares etc - (I am off to Duckworths at the weekend for a service). Any spares I carry would be "for my own use"

Many thanks, Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136998 20th Mar 2012 10:16 pm
AndyC

All roads are speed signed - Motorways generally have 90 or 100 kilometres per hour in Norway and 110 in Sweden. Side streets in residential areas are often 30 KPM Shocked or 50 KPM.

When driving on “main roads” best to stay awake, which normally have a 80 KPM limit unless reduced to 70 or 60 (or even less) in certain areas Rolling Eyes . The speed signing generally is very poor and signs are (often) few and far between. Good idea to note the first sign and remember what it was, because there may not be another for a while, and that may be “after” a speed camera Embarassed . I always forget what the last sign said and slow down to 70 or 60 just to be on the safe side when passing a camera Whistle , but you probably have a better memory than me Thumbs Up .

I don’t think there is a restricted speed for towing a caravan, but I am not 100% sure on that account Question .

Many thanks for the offer, I normally get my LR needs on my UK visits. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #137059 21st Mar 2012 12:22 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Is the Newcastle/Oslo ferry not an option?

ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #137360 23rd Mar 2012 8:19 am
dunkley201

Sadly not: "However Fiordline now no longer operates any ferry crossings from Newcastle, England."

Thanks for your help, Ghyllie 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #137446 23rd Mar 2012 10:22 pm
athelstan

The Newcastle ferries of old to Bergen/Stavanger/Kristiansand became victims of low cost flight operations to Norway.

These ferries were extremely popular for Norwegians' as mini shopping cruises to the Metro Centre, once the flights started the ferries could not compete on price or convenience. Nor could they replace the "shopperholicks" with viable volumes of "normal" tourism by Brits or Norwegians.

Post #137483 24th Mar 2012 8:36 am
dunkley201

A quick update: Wife poorly, hospital, etc, will be ongoing for 2-3 months or so. Have cancelled ferry today. Will re-plan when fit & well. Best concentrate on gardening....... 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #138756 5th Apr 2012 1:24 pm
AndyC

dunkley201 wrote:
A quick update: Wife poorly, hospital, etc, will be ongoing for 2-3 months or so. Have cancelled ferry today. Will re-plan when fit & well. Best concentrate on gardening.......

Sorry to here about the wife, but weather wise its certainly worth delaying a visit. Although the weather is bright and sunny at the mo its turned very cold from +22 degrees just over a week ago to -2 this last night and ca. 5 during the day. Hope the better half makes a quick recovery. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #138760 5th Apr 2012 1:40 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

wish her well from all at the forum mate, hope she has a speedy recovery.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #138769 5th Apr 2012 2:50 pm
dunkley201

Thanks guys. Will pass on your message. Also thanks for your pointers for travel to Oslo. Will keep the info and update when about to travel. May even arrange a Kodak moment of Freelander + 'van in Norway if we are lucky! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #138804 5th Apr 2012 9:10 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

best wishes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #138816 5th Apr 2012 10:18 pm
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hope the wife gets well soon there mate : (

By the time you are sorted to come over, I will have my new car, I make at least one trip a year up to norway, so we may be able to set up a convoy : )

If you look at a map, there is a bridge from Denmark to Sweden, I literally live on the south side of it by the sea. The door stands always ajar there is leccy, water, toolkits and anything else you guys may need. I know the perfect spot to set up the van with the most amazing sunset if you guys want a bit of space : )

There is a decent network of LR owners here in sweden and up the westcoast there is a decent amount of us with lifts, tools and winches : )

Keep us posted on progress, and send on get well wishes!

Post #139822 15th Apr 2012 6:01 pm
dunkley201

LRSwe. Thank you for your kind offer! I have passed on your get well wishes. At present I guess we will be delayed by at least 3 months, possibly more. This may mean we will have to put off our journey until 2013 due to the early onset of winter in Scandinavia. I will PM you when I know for sure. Thanks again!
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #139931 16th Apr 2012 8:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>