« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > To Oslo & back - Freelander 2 & Caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
To Oslo & back - Freelander 2 & Caravan

We are going to Oslo in May to visit our son and be there for Norway Day (17th May). Am routeing Harwich/Hoek, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway. (Taking caravan partly to take all his bulky PE's he could not take on Ryanair - guitars, accordion, etc, etc). I would appreciate any tips etc re driving rules, permits, vignettes (if any) et al. We will pack all the usual: spare lights, 2 x triangles; 2 x dayglo vests; V5 & insurance docs; First Aid Kit. We have driven France, Holland, Germany before, but this one is a bit different! Also any recommended sites, places to visit etc. We are looking forward to it! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #136643 18th Mar 2012 9:26 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

CG enterprises will be despatching an agent to makes sure that caravan never returns to the UK. We will of course wait until your sons goods are delivered before acting, he is an innocent .

AndyC's advise could be helpful in ths thead (a rare event) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #136646 18th Mar 2012 10:17 am
athelstan

Why not go overnight DFDS Harwich > Esbjerg that gets you to Denmark, and from Esbjerg to the northern Danish port of Hirtsals is only a short drive of 280kms (175mls) - Hirtsals has regular ferries to Kristiansand or direct into Oslo. Idea

That way your caravan will be less of a hindrance to the good folks of Holland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Wink

Post #136690 18th Mar 2012 5:22 pm
dunkley201

chicken george wrote:
CG enterprises will be despatching an agent to makes sure that caravan never returns to the UK.

Thanks CG for your not unexpected comment. You do seem to have your needle stuck on the subject but the FL2 is undoubtedly a great tow car Whistle 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136692 18th Mar 2012 6:12 pm
dunkley201

athelstan wrote:
Why not go overnight DFDS Harwich > Esbjerg that gets you to Denmark, and from Esbjerg to the northern Danish port of Hirtsals is only a short drive of 280kms (175mls) - Hirtsals has regular ferries to Kristiansand or direct into Oslo. Idea

Athelstan, many thanks, I did consider this route, but DFDS charge an arm & leg for caravans plus with Stena taking caravans for free the CBA turned in favour of Harwich/Hoek. Apart from that, we have never been to the likes of Osnabruck, Lubeck & Goteborg! Wink (There is even a DFDS Commercial ferry plying Immingham/ Brevik /Goteborg but that costs even more again and has limited sailings) 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136694 18th Mar 2012 6:21 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

dunkerly201 suppose you could put an advert in cg;s local paper for the pikes advertising free camping in Yorkshire area included will be RRS for wedding use Whistle rainy-city
xs

Post #136709 18th Mar 2012 7:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunkley201

No Alf! I'll not pour oil on the fire. Least said soonest mended. I'm all for the quiet life! Wink 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136728 18th Mar 2012 10:08 pm
dunkley201

athelstan wrote:
Hirtsals has regular ferries to Kristiansand or direct into Oslo. Idea

Athelstan. I might revisit the Hirtsals option - at least it avoids Sweden & maybe one or two night stops. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136733 18th Mar 2012 10:44 pm
athelstan

dunkley201 wrote:
athelstan wrote:
Hirtsals has regular ferries to Kristiansand or direct into Oslo. Idea

Athelstan. I might revisit the Hirtsals option - at least it avoids Sweden & maybe one or two night stops.

When her Ladyship lived n worked in Oslo for many years I used the route from Blighty via Esbjerg and Hirtsals a lot but never with a caravan (not my cup of tea at all) mostly on my motorbikes - in winter I flew. The ferries on this route are (were) a cut above the average cross channel "cattle" barge with comfortable cabins and decent restaurants. The Danish roads from E to H via Holstebro and Viborg are excellent and not too busy, although north of V you will see a marked increase in traffic volumes. And the Danes drive very sedately - maybe something to do with the speeding fines.

However they are not as fiscally draconian as the Swiss. Go 30kph over the sign posted limit and you'll be needing a mortgage to pay the fine and you'll loose your licence on the spot Big Cry

Post #136752 19th Mar 2012 8:58 am
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: To Oslo & back - Freelander 2 & Caravan

dunkley201 wrote:
We are going to Oslo in May to visit our son and be there for Norway Day (17th May). Am routeing Harwich/Hoek, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway. (Taking caravan partly to take all his bulky PE's he could not take on Ryanair - guitars, accordion, etc, etc). I would appreciate any tips etc re driving rules, permits, vignettes (if any) et al. We will pack all the usual: spare lights, 2 x triangles; 2 x dayglo vests; V5 & insurance docs; First Aid Kit. We have driven France, Holland, Germany before, but this one is a bit different! Also any recommended sites, places to visit etc. We are looking forward to it!

I'd recommend that you take the A7/E45 thru Germany, and to Hirtshals. Denmark. Embark on a prebooked Superspeed ferry to Larvik, Norway, and you'll have a two hours drive to Oslo, from there.

The Superspeed takes 3 h 45 mins, and has every facility you need for a ferrytrip. If you book the Business class seats (recommended), you'll be provided with free Wi-Fi, light drinks, coffee and snacks.

http://www.colorline.com/ships_and_sailings/hirtshals_-_larvik Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #136753 19th Mar 2012 9:16 am
dunkley201

athelstan wrote:
And the Danes drive very sedately - maybe something to do with the speeding fines.

The big advantage of dragging a 'van is you are well aware of the speed. I generally keep to 60mph in UK (unless the limit is below that). (Cannot stand being slowed down by "slow coach" 'vanners with under powered cars - they give 'vanning a bad name! ) In France I have gone faster - limits are 110k - 130k. However, I believe in Scandinavia it is generally 80kph for all - no problem with that. I am used to HGV driving being limited to 90kph on governor anyway! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136760 19th Mar 2012 10:06 am
dunkley201

Re: To Oslo & back - Freelander 2 & Caravan

Oscr wrote:
I'd recommend that you take the A7/E45 thru Germany, and to Hirtshals. Denmark. Embark on a prebooked Superspeed ferry to Larvik, Norway, and you'll have a two hours drive to Oslo, from there.

The Superspeed takes 3 h 45 mins, and has every facility you need for a ferrytrip. If you book the Business class seats (recommended), you'll be provided with free Wi-Fi, light drinks, coffee and snacks.

http://www.colorline.com/ships_and_sailings/hirtshals_-_larvik

That looks good, Oscr. I will take a look. Thank you for the link, just what I was hoping for! Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136761 19th Mar 2012 10:09 am
athelstan

Big Cry They didn't have "SuperSpeed" ferries in my day Big Cry Those ships do look comfy Thumbs Up

Oscar's post made me look again at those routes to see what other changes/improvements have been made over the years since I last made that journey and there's certainly more choice now for routes and ferry companies. Competition is there so maybe prices are more attractive these days:

Color Line and Fjordline do the Hirtsals>Kristiansand
Colorline Hirtsals>Larvik
Stena Line Frederikshaven direct into Oslo harbour

All of which can be booked via the consolidator websites: FerryLines - FerrySavers - DirectFerries etc..

And I now see that Regina Line are competing with DFDS on the Harwich>Esbjerg crossing so Dunkley play the field and do let us know how was the route you finally used so that folks thinking of going north to the land of the Nogs have a "travel guide" to reference. Happy and incident free motoring Very Happy

Post #136774 19th Mar 2012 11:29 am
dunkley201

Will do, Athelstan! I already booked the Harwich/Hoek through Caravan Club in February. (May 3 & May 25) I will check out the Hirtshals ferry lines' web sites tonight/later. Then fix on dates out and back from Hirtshals. This option will give us more touring time in Norway Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #136777 19th Mar 2012 11:52 am
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

If you like a tipple or several, stock up and hide it in the van to bypass customs..... My late Dad took his Saab to Norway aged 77, ferry up north and roads south. (family convinced he would drive off a cliff!) Had a great time but main complaint was the price of Scotch..... JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #136877 20th Mar 2012 2:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>