Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > New Haldex fitted, its like a new car! -listen out for yours
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Chambers

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I've found a couple of other FL2 owners on this forum with Haldex units/diff problems, and the one guy suggested his noise sounds similar to this link [/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1c2oDpdv7w

It is a norwegian Volvo XC90, which seemingly uses the same Haldex unit as the FL2, the video shows the underside of the vehicle while its driven, also indicating the noise coming from the vehicle/faulty diff or Haldex unit. Dunk and Ashton, would you give it a look and comment if your noises are similar to that video.

My noise is nothing similar though for what its worth...

Thanks guys for your views Thumbs Up

Post #83887 11th Dec 2010 1:58 am
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

Chambers wrote:
I've found a couple of other FL2 owners on this forum with Haldex units/diff problems, and the one guy suggested his noise sounds similar to this link [/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1c2oDpdv7w

It is a norwegian Volvo XC90, which seemingly uses the same Haldex unit as the FL2, the video shows the underside of the vehicle while its driven, also indicating the noise coming from the vehicle/faulty diff or Haldex unit. Dunk and Ashton, would you give it a look and comment if your noises are similar to that video.

My noise is nothing similar though for what its worth...

Thanks guys for your views Thumbs Up

No, not at all like that.......just a rumble/groany bearing type noise from the rear. Very mild off roading, ie: stubble fields, a little soft sand, heavy rutted/flooded tracks and every time it snows, the sort of place a car would struggle but minimal for the FL2. Stop worrying and get it checked man Laughing

Post #83889 11th Dec 2010 4:07 am
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Bloody hell......sounds like hes got a creaking gate fitted to that volvo! No mine was nothing like that.

In all honesty chambers I dont think froim your description that your noise is the haldex, if its not audible on a smooth surface then you are looking at a tyre issue or similar. If you think about it logically the noise is for want of a better word a "transmission" noise when the vehicle is moving and if it is the haldex it will be there constantly, more noticeable at certain speeds, mine was at 30mph and on quiet road surfaces. It was there on all surfaces but the road noise masked it.

If you are not getting this noise all the time then you need to be looking elsewhere than the haldex.

Try and get someone to swap wheels and tyres with you to try that.

Post #84027 12th Dec 2010 11:23 am
Chambers

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks again Dunk and Ashton. Thumbs Up (Ha ha, I like your description of the volvo's noise - "Sounds like he's got a creaking gate fitted" - must be a Norwegian after market upgrade!!)

Yeah, I'm defo gonna have it checked out. Ashton, it makes perfect sense what you mentioned that if it is the Haldex, the noise should be there all the time, irrelevant of road surface. My reasoning is also telling me the same would go for the fact that if it was the diff, the same would apply, in other words, irrelevant of road surface. I mean if the diff or haldex was faulty and making a noise, the noise should be audible even if one was driving over a perfectly smooth surface like ice wouldn't it. ( me hopes me reasoning makes sense Confused )

Off the subject, but me going to attempt a oil and filter change today, Just cant get myself to pay to have it done, as its out of warranty, and the dealers want crazy money, and the independents wont let you use your own oil, and a few of them i've asked what oil they use cant even tell me if they use a semi or full synthetic oil Shocked

Will keep you guys updated on my noise - eh, i mean the Jeep's noise and not the better half's Laughing

Post #84036 12th Dec 2010 12:46 pm
robbie666527

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi guys, ive been running a td4 f2 for 35,000 miles and have started to notice a whine coming from the gearbox ? Seems to be in 1/2/3rd gears. It happens when i am pulling away. My thoughts are low gearbox oil or maybe clutch bearing whine. Any pointers for me ?
If its low oil, can i add a friction reducer ( slick ) ?
After reading the haldex problems, what symptons are i looking for ?
Cheers lads.

Post #86311 3rd Jan 2011 6:13 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

robbie666527 wrote:
Hi guys, ive been running a td4 f2 for 35,000 miles and have started to notice a whine coming from the gearbox ? Seems to be in 1/2/3rd gears. It happens when i am pulling away. My thoughts are low gearbox oil or maybe clutch bearing whine. Any pointers for me ?
If its low oil, can i add a friction reducer ( slick ) ?
After reading the haldex problems, what symptons are i looking for ?
Cheers lads.

I'd also like to know as i think this maybe what mine is experiencing Sad

Post #86322 3rd Jan 2011 6:59 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Chambers, are you used to cars with wide tyres? I get quite a lot of tyre noise from my Goodyears (must be tyres as it's entirely dependent on road surface) and a friend of mine was quite shocked by it the other day (he drives a Yaris with skinny little tyres). Basically rough road = rumble!

Post #86339 3rd Jan 2011 9:50 pm
gg

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

LR France replaced my rear diff due to "internal bearing wear". Sealed unit etc. etc.

It sounded like a wheel bearing or completely worn tyre. Was told they had never replaced similar before. (07 100k km).

driving slowly down hill with brakes engaged (slightly) sounded as though something was going to split in two from the rear.

Turns out they had replaced two previously and then had to replace the complete haldex unit also as they screwed up with the mounting and oil went everywhere.

Now after 20k extra km feeling a little tyre scrub going around roundabouts so will check oil level.

Do not believe them when LR dealers say not something they have replaced before - they have.

Gordon

Post #86353 3rd Jan 2011 10:53 pm
themightymcphed

This forum really is excellent with information and help. A very nice place to be!

I've had my 07 SE for about 1/12 now and for the past week, I've been aware of a noise from the back of the car. I think it is there all the time. I first noticed it on the way back from the shops. didn't notice it on the way there (although i had the radio on). When first set off that morning, the handbrake had stuck (when reversing away had the thunk as it became unstuck).
On the way back from the shops, I heard the sound. It sounded like I was dragging something. A rumble/roar from the back (almost similar to if a door had been left ajar in the car). I don't know if this is just road noise that I've not noticed due to having the radio on (prev had a tdci focus). It is out of original warranty, but when I bought it, they gave me a full years LR warranty.
If I hadn't been checking for known faults online before I bought it, I'd probably just have put it down to road noise. But now, I'm obsessed by it and concerned that it's the diff/haldex.

Does this sounf like it could be the difff to you? Also, does anyone have experience of the LR warranty when it's an add on for a used car?

Any help would be very appreciated.. I'm very paranoid with this car for some reason. Smile

Thanks. Iain As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #86397 4th Jan 2011 12:11 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

On the three occasions, first one just out of curiosity and then the second and third time when I was a little more concerned it sounded like a cross between a wheel bearing running dry/worn slightly and possibly tyre groan. The first tech' who came for a test drive suggested wheel bearing and as the tyres were to be replaced he suggested I carry on until the tyres were changed to see if the noise abated......which it did! Each time I swapped/fitted new tyres to the rear the noise would go until the last time I had a new pair fitted to the rear and the noise stayed and got quite bad quite quickly. It was always the passenger side rear that scuffed up and caused the tyre noise but obviously the diff' wasn't 100% which caused the problem each time. It's very hard to put into words, it's an ocsillating type 'urrrrrrrrr' noise. To start with mine was only very noticable at approx 50 mph but that was because the tyre had worn and going faster/slower would mask it, it was only apparent on smooth roads at any other time but more difficult to hear. In time the noise was very obvious and was quite obviously a bearing noise, apparently the case hardening wears away to give you another indication to how it may sound?

Best get it checked, it'll cost very little for an indie to diagnose and will give you peace of mind Thumbs Up

Post #86503 4th Jan 2011 11:43 pm
alex_pescaru

You guys that have the differential or only the bearing replaced, be aware of the following:

Reference: SSM46477
Date: 25-Nov-2010
Issue: Excessive rumble/humming noise or high pitched whine coming form the rear of the vehicle
Cause: Root cause, Pinion Tail Bearing spalling caused by subsurface material deformation. Cause of subsurface deformation is static overload.
Action: For reported concerns where LTB00342 (Rear Differential Lower Level Repair) has been carried out or if a Rear differential is replaced, please be aware that a software update has been made available to help prevent premature pinion bearing failure in the future. This update should only be applied to the Haldex Coupling control module if the lower level pinion bearing repair has been carried out or if the rear differential assembly has been replaced.
Note ! This software is only available for Generation 4 Haldex couplings which were fitted from Start of 2009 MY vehicle manufacture. A number of Vehicles built before 2009MY originally fitted with a Generation 3 coupling, may have since been fitted with a Generation 4 coupling during service repair and could also have this software update applied if required.

Post #86527 5th Jan 2011 9:06 am
garytodd

Jersey 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Nightmare Landrover dealer

Hi all.
I'm going through hell with my local dealer (who should be banned from selling cars all together)
I've been in an complained about the noise that is clearly a common problem on a number of ocasions and also got hold of the LTB00342 document which is Land rovers own technical bulletin on the problem but they refuse to accept that there is a problem and say that i'm just hearing road noise.
i'm now at the point where I'm considering contacting a lawyer. My problem is that I'm in Jersey so have no other dealerships to go to.

Has anyone ever contacted land rover directly to get assistance with bad dealers?

Post #130964 6th Feb 2012 11:22 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Not personally contacted LR Customer Relations but know others who have.
Best approach seems to be to keep it polite, explain the problem, lack of dealer response and ask LR to intervene on your behalf. If LR agree to assist, they will contact the Dealer Principal who should then contact you and handle your complaint until rectified.

Post #131025 7th Feb 2012 7:32 pm
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Ok So I am hearing a high pitched noise coming from the rear but only seems noticeable on first gear.
it's an auto, petrol on normal terrain response.

Should I be concerned? Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #131170 9th Feb 2012 6:23 am
Arctic Fire

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I think this is different. (Like yours) Mine is whiney in first, and into second under acceleration, but my noise CHANGES with RPM, which i don't think the rear bearing/diff noise does. I was concerned at how loud mine was but drove the LR2 loaner- same noise, but not quite as loud, or so i thought.,. I may try to video tape the noise to see if it sounds like everyone elses.

My noise seems like it's coming from the engine area, or under my dash. It changes with RPM, not affected by turning or electrics. It kinda sounds like it's in low range 4x4 if anyone's ever driven a truck with it. Anyone eles with a petrol notice this? It's louder than I like, and I swear it should be quieter on a $58,000 truck Sad It was suggested in another forum that I add another "earth" or gorund wire, but I am not sure what that's all about.. maybe someone can chime in?

I took it into Rover twice complaining of a whirring/whining noise in first/second and they said it was all normal. After owning my CVT mini cooper which was basically a rolling time bomb (don't ever buy a CVT cooper. ever.) I am so afraid of any noises in any of my vehicles.

Post #131178 9th Feb 2012 10:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>