« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > New Haldex fitted, its like a new car! -listen out for yours
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
New Haldex fitted, its like a new car! -listen out for yours

Ive finally got rid of my irritating noise.......no Ive not left Mrs A at home!! Stratstones Doncaster replaced my unit yesterday.

I took it in believing it to be a wheel bearing but all credit to them they quickly diagnosed it as the Haldex coupling. It took about 10 days from order to delivery but I suppose given the weather thats not bad. They fitted it in about 6 hrs. Car valeted and clean on collection.

The car has done 25k which is not good really but I suppose these things happen. Thanks though that it was under warranty, not something one would want to fork out for!

Its just something to be aware of if you are approaching end of warranty period, anything that sounds remotely like a whine or rumble get it in whilst LR are in the buying seat!

Last edited by ashtons99 on 10th Dec 2010 1:46 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #83699 9th Dec 2010 7:50 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Nice Smile
I've 3 months left on my FL2 warranty so i'll be getting my ear 'prep'd and ready to listen for noises' Smile
I did think i heard a whine before but i believe it to be the turbo...although it did appear to be of lower tone than a turbo whistle...hmmm

I'll listen a bit further and then ask for some advice from this fab forum.

Post #83722 9th Dec 2010 9:35 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

maffs wrote:
Nice Smile
I've 3 months left on my FL2 warranty so i'll be getting my ear 'prep'd and ready to listen for noises' Smile
I did think i heard a whine before but i believe it to be the turbo...although it did appear to be of lower tone than a turbo whistle...hmmm

Don't make the mistake I did of assuming it to be tyre noise, I had my 'noise' checked by LR twice while in warranty only to be told all was fine. When you have a service done, or if you take it in just to have the noise checked ask for some sort of written confirmation you actually asked for it to be investigated or make sure they put a note on your invoice to that effect, you'll be glad you did if you get problems once the warranty is out and should of been diagnosed beforehand Thumbs Up Mine did not sound like a whine, it was more akin to a bearing/tyre noise and the rear passenger side rear tyre always wore irregularly...the noise abated for a while when I changed tyres, only to return.

Post #83729 9th Dec 2010 10:11 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

maffs wrote:
Nice Smile

I get one like this and I'm thinking it might be the power steering pump / reservoir problem! I’ll get it sorted when I get chance Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #83730 9th Dec 2010 10:16 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I finish work a week tomorrow for Christmas, I'll get it booked in that week Smile
Better to be safe than sorry,
Wink

Post #83738 9th Dec 2010 10:44 pm
Dunk

maffs wrote:
I finish work a week tomorrow for Christmas, I'll get it booked in that week Smile
Better to be safe than sorry,
Wink

1, Lucky Censored ! 2, you're doing the right thing Thumbs Up

Post #83744 9th Dec 2010 11:16 pm
Chambers

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hey Dunk and everyone else. New to this forum, so hi. I got a 2007 FL2 with about 45000mls on the clock. I have become aware of a a very faint whining noise, seemingly coming from the rear. The noise sounds like a feint wheel bearing noise, or tyre noise. Dunk you mentioned you had similar symptoms and ended up being a new Haldex unit. I've only owned the car for about two months now, but to be honest I cant say whether the noise was there before or not. Its a commercial vehicle, so it has no seats in the back, and I thought that could be contributing to "Road Noise" but i'm not so sure after having read these few posts and that Dunk had to have his Haldex replaced.

Unfortunately my vehicle is out of warranty, so not keen to cough up for a new Diff if it is the case. Can anyone on here advise if these are the dreaded symptoms? Are these Haldex units generally liable to give up the ghost at such a low mileage?

Thanks for any advise![/quote]

Post #83750 10th Dec 2010 12:02 am
Dunk

Chambers wrote:
Hey Dunk and everyone else. New to this forum, so hi. I got a 2007 FL2 with about 45000mls on the clock. I have become aware of a a very faint whining noise, seemingly coming from the rear. The noise sounds like a feint wheel bearing noise, or tyre noise. Dunk you mentioned you had similar symptoms and ended up being a new Haldex unit. I've only owned the car for about two months now, but to be honest I cant say whether the noise was there before or not. Its a commercial vehicle, so it has no seats in the back, and I thought that could be contributing to "Road Noise" but i'm not so sure after having read these few posts and that Dunk had to have his Haldex replaced.

Unfortunately my vehicle is out of warranty, so not keen to cough up for a new Diff if it is the case. Can anyone on here advise if these are the dreaded symptoms? Are these Haldex units generally liable to give up the ghost at such a low mileage?

Thanks for any advise!
[/quote

As far as i'm aware the haldex unit and the diff' are two seperate things. My diff' sounded like a wheel bearing or slight tyre roar from the rear passenger side. I kept changing/swapping tyres and the noise would go for a while only to return. It now sounds seriously bad and i'm awaiting a unit to come from france to be fitted on the 23rd. I would get advice or search on here ref' wheel bearings in the first instance and check that first as a fair few owners have had them replaced and cured the noise. The only way to check if the diff' is on it's way out is to go to a LR or independant and get them to check it using a scope etc. It won't be expensive to have it diagnosed......good luck, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you Thumbs Up

Post #83753 10th Dec 2010 12:10 am
ashtons99

The Haldex unit is part of the split drive system Haldex are simply the manufacturer/developer.

Chambers - Your symptoms are the same as I had but make no mistake if it is the diff it will worsen quickly over a short period. Mine sounded like a faint hum/rumble from the nearside rear but I think that was just the sound perspective from the drivers seat.

If anyone is interested this is a technical bit on the third generation unit in our vehicles:

The third generation of Haldex coupling made its appearance on the newly re-designed Land Rover Freelander 2 (LR2 in the United States). With enhanced capabilities, it allows more immediate off road response. The Freelander's 4x4 system has been developed in conjunction with Haldex, whose centre-coupling technology continuously alters the front-rear torque split, normally through a hydraulically operated multi-plate wet clutch. However, Land Rover wanted an electronically controlled centre coupling – linking the propshaft to the rear differential – that could pre-engage at rest to reduce wheelspin from standing starts, engage quickly when traction loss was detected and disengage quickly without compromising stability control systems. The system also had to transmit the necessary torque to achieve Freelander 2's off-road traction demands. The result is used exclusively on Freelander 2, and pre-emptively engages four-wheel drive quickly and completely. An improved high-pressure pre-charge pump charges the hydraulic system as soon as the engine is started, allowing for full-time 4x4 from rest. It also reduces the time taken to achieve full torque once wheel-slip has been detected – within 15 degrees of wheel-slip rotation (compared with 50 degrees of wheel-slip rotation with the previous generation Haldex). The Freelander 2's Haldex unit is designed to allow up to 1500 Nm of torque transmission. An accumulator also speeds up the unit's response. Full torque transmission can be achieved in 150 milliseconds. In effect, the new Haldex coupling gives the benefits of full-time 4x4 and the efficiency and fuel economy of an on-demand system.

Post #83759 10th Dec 2010 1:44 am
Chambers

Thank you for very informative answers with detailed explinations lads.

Like somebody has mentioned somewhere on here before, the possible negative side of these forums can be where people have had certain problems with their cars, and one starts looking for possible signs of problems others have experienced Shocked

The strange thing with this slight whining/tyre noise i've got, is that it seems more prelevant when going across "rough" tarmac,ie larger bitmac used, and when one gets to roads where the newer generation "smooth" tarmac is used it seems dead quiet??? Its also only really noticeable on slow driving where generally one experiences little or no other cabin noises such as wind noise or other road noises. Can you guys shed your views on that if possible.

You guys mentioned your whining noises became progressively worse over a short period of time, how long did it take roughly to become so loud from the first time you started noticing the noise?

I've tried changing tyres back to front just to see if it could be tyre noise on a bad tyre, but its the same. Tyres are good quality Continentals.

Post #83785 10th Dec 2010 11:26 am
Dunk

Chambers wrote:
Thank you for very informative answers with detailed explinations lads.

Like somebody has mentioned somewhere on here before, the possible negative side of these forums can be where people have had certain problems with their cars, and one starts looking for possible signs of problems others have experienced Shocked

The strange thing with this slight whining/tyre noise i've got, is that it seems more prelevant when going across "rough" tarmac,ie larger bitmac used, and when one gets to roads where the newer generation "smooth" tarmac is used it seems dead quiet??? Its also only really noticeable on slow driving where generally one experiences little or no other cabin noises such as wind noise or other road noises. Can you guys shed your views on that if possible.

You guys mentioned your whining noises became progressively worse over a short period of time, how long did it take roughly to become so loud from the first time you started noticing the noise?

I've tried changing tyres back to front just to see if it could be tyre noise on a bad tyre, but its the same. Tyres are good quality Continentals.

Just to give you and anybody else who's worried about the diff' problem some encouragement, it is now possible for LR to replace the bearings within the diff' itself in house at a huge cost saving.....I only found out this morning from an ever helpful TH White, they really have done their level best to help me out and restored some confidence in a previously disgruntled LR customer Thumbs Up It's a very recent developement but worth asking about should your diff' be on it's way out, approx £700 cheaper too.

In answer to your question mine was over a long period, but now I daren't drive it until I need to take it in for repair, it's that bad. I would have yours checked out, it won't be expensive to diagnose and it'll give you peace of mind one way or other.

Post #83792 10th Dec 2010 11:58 am
Chambers

Thanks again for great info Dunk. Much appreciated, and a slight lift of weight off the shoulders with the possibility that bearings can be replaced.

I Think i'll get it diagnosed as you suggested to give me peace of mind, otherwise i'm gonna keep driving around with the radio turned down, and my head stuck into the back of the jeep trying to listen to noises - its driving the wife bonkers!! Laughing

Post #83810 10th Dec 2010 1:37 pm
Dunk

Chambers wrote:
Thanks again for great info Dunk. Much appreciated, and a slight lift of weight off the shoulders with the possibility that bearings can be replaced.

I Think i'll get it diagnosed as you suggested to give me peace of mind, otherwise i'm gonna keep driving around with the radio turned down, and my head stuck into the back of the jeep trying to listen to noises - its driving the wife bonkers!! Laughing

Or, alteratively turn the radio up and make believe it aint there.... Laughing , seriously though my independant was going to charge me £25 to put it on the ramp, spin the wheels up and use a scope(?) but a test drive was sufficient in my case as it was very audible. Having said that the LR dealer who helped me out yesterday insisted it was put on the ramp even after a test drive to be 100% sure Thumbs Up

Good luck, I hope it's a wheel bearing, if not at least you have a cheaper option to persue now.

Post #83824 10th Dec 2010 3:52 pm
ashtons99

If it helps mine was most noticeable on smooth tarmac, the whine/drone was then audible as there was little road noise present.

Post #83838 10th Dec 2010 5:57 pm
Chambers

Thanks again guys!! Thumbs Up Ashton you mention yours was most noticeable on smooth tarmac...Thats the strange thing, this droaning noise i have seems to literally disappear on smooth tarmac, and becomes audible on rough tarmac. (albeit very feint noise - almost like being on a airliner at cruising speed, and there's a droan in the background, only much less loud, ha hope that makes sense!! Confused )

But Dunk, Me defo gonna take your advice and book it in to get looked at, otherwise my eardrums are gonna pop from playing the radio at full blow or from the wife's wining Rolling with laughter Only thing here in Dublin the agents are mad expensive, cheapest agent around for the 45K service was 420 Euro plus VAT Big Cry So will have to take it to a independent, and not too many good ones around, So I hope to hell that its a possible wheel bearing. But as per one of your previous posts, mine is also very aking to a bearing/road noise. Ah well, I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best

As a matter of interest, through your guys experience, did any of the Mechanics that diagnosed your vehicles mention by changing the diff fluid at regular intervals one could've prevented the diff damage? Or did any of them suggest what can cause this early wear of the FL2's diff, ie offroading, poor driving style??

Post #83873 10th Dec 2010 11:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>