Home > Off Topic > MG 6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
MG 6

Just saw an advert for MG On Discovery

Something called a MG 6 Confused Thought MG went belly up Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #102409 17th May 2011 9:31 pm
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

Chinese owners are now starting to make cars.

I think, at the moment its the MG6, and some super efficient city car is in the pipeline.

MG6 isn't too bad a car on paper, well priced, reasonable spec. Whether the MG brand will take off again is another thing.

Post #102411 17th May 2011 9:49 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

designed and put together just down the road from me Thumbs Up

Not sure they are gonna be able to shake their past but good luck to them - I'm all in fvour for supporting british brands even if German ones are better!!!! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #102415 17th May 2011 10:30 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: MG 6

npinks wrote:
Just saw an advert for MG On Discovery

Something called a MG 6 Confused Thought MG went belly up Question

Was officially launched last Saturday in Fasback form & 3 trim levels & currently a 1.8Turbo petrol engine. Diesel due at end of year & possibly higher performance petrol engine too. Top spec TSE GTi has plenty of equipment as standard kit that are optional on most more expensive cars like reversing camera!
Dash plastics are a little Vauxhall & carpet is typical of modern most current cars but for the money it represents good value!

Saloon model due out in July. I have driven the car & is very nice to drive, handling is fantastic & even better than the MG ZS180 which it has tecnically replaced & the ZS180 is a very capable & very underateted/unknown car though this could be because the same designers/engineers designed it in Birmingham as worked on the previous cars. They did back then a very good job given there was sod all in the kitty!!
MG3 due out later next year (Polo, Fiesta size). MG7 due out also later next year or early 2013 & this is the Rover 75/ZT size car. At some point inbetween these is the MGTF (2 door) replacement.

Currently cars are partially assembled in China & finished off in Longbridge on a modified version of the Rover 75 track. It is planned that full production for the European market will happen in Longbridge as sales + additional models grow & emerge. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #102419 17th May 2011 10:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

This is essentially a Chinese built car, from a Chinese owned brand, with a team of 40 in the UK essentially fitting the pre assembled engine and suspension and then testing the finished product. Unfortunately, this is not the return of serious manufacturing at Longbridge Sad

Post #102423 18th May 2011 5:12 am
The Valeter

Tigger wrote:
This is essentially a Chinese built car, from a Chinese owned brand, with a team of 40 in the UK essentially fitting the pre assembled engine and suspension and then testing the finished product. Unfortunately, this is not the return of serious manufacturing at Longbridge Sad

Not quite correct. It's not a lot different than when it was owned by BMW as they arn't British either. The plan eventually is for China to build cars for the Asian market & England to build cars for the European market.

Main difference is that unlike BMW who only wanted the original company (Rover Group) in 1994 to rape it for the forthcoming Mini that they take the praise for but didn't design & Landrover because they didn't (believe it or not) have the technology to build a 4x4 ( & even now don't seem to be able to do a very good job lol).

S.I.A.C. actually want to invest in & grow the product. They also have their hand in a vast amount of other manufacturers, VW & Fiat to name 2. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #102544 18th May 2011 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Executive Valeter wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Not quite correct. It's not a lot different than when it was owned by BMW as they arn't British either. The plan eventually is for China to build cars for the Asian market & England to build cars for the European market.

Main difference is that unlike BMW who only wanted the original company (Rover Group) in 1994 to rape it for the forthcoming Mini that they take the praise for but didn't design & Landrover because they didn't (believe it or not) have the technology to build a 4x4 ( & even now don't seem to be able to do a very good job lol).

S.I.A.C. actually want to invest in & grow the product. They also have their hand in a vast amount of other manufacturers, VW & Fiat to name 2.

Yes, you are right. Neither parent company is British. However, you've missed some vital points:

BMW currently invest heavily in proper manufacturing at Swindon (body pressing), Oxford / Cowley (Body in White assembly, painting, engine / running gear marriage and all final assembly work) along with Hamms Hall (engine manufacture for MINI and many BMW 4 cylinder cars). In addition, many substantial sub assemblies and other components are sourced from UK factories.

Meanwhile, SIAC merely marry the engine, gearbox and suspension to a pre-completed and trimmed bodyshell supplied from China as a very nearly completed car. Expect the absolute minimum of "manufacturing" to be carried out at Longbridge in order to somehow qualify as a European built car.

BMW's and SIAC's interest in manufacturing in the UK are not even in the same ball park!

There is a lot of misinformation spoken about BMW's interests in Rover. Rover were sold to BMW for a hugely inflated price when BAe were only to happy to get rid of them having starved them of development funds and sold off many of their assets (Cowley, for instance, was only around 1/3rd of its original size when BAe had finished with it).

BMW sunk massive investment into Rover between 1994 and 2000, without which neither the MINI nor the Rover 75 would have ever been designed. Despite having left with the MINI (that they actually paid for!), they had to agree to sell Longbridge, the Rover 75 and a huge dowry of loans and stock to the Phoenix Group for £10 (at a truly catastrophic loss) and even Land Rover's sale to Ford was at another thumping loss. BMW would have lost a lot less if they'd simply closed Longbridge down, but that would have been politically unthinkable for them. They would certainly have been a lot better off if they'd never heard of Rover in the first place!

I would recommend www.aronline.co.uk for some really detailed back ground reading on the matter, especially relating to the shared development of the MINI between the UK and Germany. Their site is moving servers at the moment, so it may be down for a short while.

Post #102552 18th May 2011 10:25 pm
The Valeter

Tigger wrote:

I would recommend www.aronline.co.uk for some really detailed back ground reading on the matter, especially relating to the shared development of the MINI between the UK and Germany. Their site is moving servers at the moment, so it may be down for a short while.

Just out of interest are you a member on there & if so what do you have? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #102558 19th May 2011 12:13 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Executive Valeter wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Just out of interest are you a member on there & if so what do you have?

I am a member there, but it's not a Forum first and foremost, it's more like of a detailed reference site on all things from BMC onwards. In the late 80's and early 90's a ran a series of Montego estates and 2.0 litre MG Maestros as work cars (hugely underrated, but with panel gaps that only a Defender provides now!).

From 2004 to 2010 I owned a Cooper, then a supercharged Cooper S as my own private (non company) cars and was very heavily involved in the MINI club scene and still Administer the MINI club site for Devon and Cornwall, though MINI clubs are much quieter than they were 5 years ago. My wife and I have had an interest in Minis and then MINIs since the late '80's.

I've been on quite a few factory tours, and a launch event at Cowley, over the past 7 years as part of club events and even met and talked to Gert Hildebrand (Head of MINI design at BMW for 10 years). Not a man I have a lot of faith in, I'm afraid! Going around the current Cowley site makes an interesting contrast to visiting the same works in the late 80's when we saw the original Rover 800 being built; they wouldn't even let any visitors in to see the Montego and Maestro production line Rolling Eyes

Post #102571 19th May 2011 7:07 am
athelstan

Tigger: you are better informed than EV - thankfully.

EV: you are still drinking from that polluted chalice that Red Robo got drunk on. Wake up to the reality. The Chinese have the asset they want (the MG brand name) firmly in their grasp. They employ only 40 souls to screw together the kits from China. As soon as (or if) the european market acceptance and demand requires commercially sustainable volumes then they will ship completed cars from their homeland. The economics of production scales and the neighbourly logistics of part suppliers dictate that. Longbridge is simply a "political and marketing incubation plant" - once the baby can walk the umbilical cord will be cut and full scale production for global markets will be exported from China.

Keep watching SAAB. The same scenario as the Rover 4 is being played out right now. The Spyker shower have bankrupted themselves and have gone cap in hand to the chinese. Last week they were refused a huge investment injection. The Moaists want it for next to nothing just like they got the entrails of Rover Group.

Post #102578 19th May 2011 7:35 am
The Valeter

athelstan wrote:
Tigger: you are better informed than EV - thankfully.

EV: you are still drinking from that polluted chalice that Red Robo got drunk on. Wake up to the reality. The Chinese have the asset they want (the MG brand name) firmly in their grasp. They employ only 40 souls to screw together the kits from China. As soon as (or if) the european market acceptance and demand requires commercially sustainable volumes then they will ship completed cars from their homeland. The economics of production scales and the neighbourly logistics of part suppliers dictate that. Longbridge is simply a "political and marketing incubation plant" - once the baby can walk the umbilical cord will be cut and full scale production for global markets will be exported from China.

Keep watching SAAB. The same scenario as the Rover 4 is being played out right now. The Spyker shower have bankrupted themselves and have gone cap in hand to the chinese. Last week they were refused a huge investment injection. The Moaists want it for next to nothing just like they got the entrails of Rover Group.

Shut Up, you bore me! pillock! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #102687 19th May 2011 9:47 pm
The Valeter

Tigger wrote:
Executive Valeter wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Just out of interest are you a member on there & if so what do you have?

I am a member there, but it's not a Forum first and foremost, it's more like of a detailed reference site on all things from BMC onwards. In the late 80's and early 90's a ran a series of Montego estates and 2.0 litre MG Maestros as work cars (hugely underrated, but with panel gaps that only a Defender provides now!).

From 2004 to 2010 I owned a Cooper, then a supercharged Cooper S as my own private (non company) cars and was very heavily involved in the MINI club scene and still Administer the MINI club site for Devon and Cornwall, though MINI clubs are much quieter than they were 5 years ago. My wife and I have had an interest in Minis and then MINIs since the late '80's.

I've been on quite a few factory tours, and a launch event at Cowley, over the past 7 years as part of club events and even met and talked to Gert Hildebrand (Head of MINI design at BMW for 10 years). Not a man I have a lot of faith in, I'm afraid! Going around the current Cowley site makes an interesting contrast to visiting the same works in the late 80's when we saw the original Rover 800 being built; they wouldn't even let any visitors in to see the Montego and Maestro production line Rolling Eyes

Excellent. I would love to chat with you in more detail. I am slowly restoring a 1990 MG Montego in Flame Red. I did a few tours of Longbridge including MG Sport & Racing & at the time (May 2005) I & a freind were the only members of the public to drive out in the ZR-X motorshow car& all round the call centre etc! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #102689 19th May 2011 9:49 pm
The Valeter

Tigger wrote:
Going around the current Cowley site makes an interesting contrast to visiting the same works in the late 80's when we saw the original Rover 800 being built; they wouldn't even let any visitors in to see the Montego and Maestro production line Rolling Eyes

Probably just as well lol Shocked As much as I like them then & now! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #102690 19th May 2011 9:54 pm
athelstan

Executive Valeter wrote:

Shut Up, you bore me! pillock!

That's the kind of negotiating language that Red Robo and his ilk used to "progress" the advancement of the industry. The cart trying to lead the horse with catastrophic results: hundreds of thousands of direct and indirect job losses. The truth is often boring but nonetheless it remains the truth.

Post #102711 20th May 2011 7:03 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Executive Valeter wrote:
Excellent. I would love to chat with you in more detail. I am slowly restoring a 1990 MG Montego in Flame Red. I did a few tours of Longbridge including MG Sport & Racing & at the time (May 2005) I & a freind were the only members of the public to drive out in the ZR-X motorshow car& all round the call centre etc!

I went into a customer's workshop's a couple of years ago and they had one of their customer's cars in for work - a completely original Montego Turbo in Moonraker blue. Apparently the retired owner had had it for years - possibly from new. Exactly the same colour as one of my Montegos and one of the MG's, so it was hard to ignore! As an aside, the first MG Maestro still holds my own personal record for outright speed on 4 wheels, at 126mph. I'd best not say where and when that record was set, but it was nearly 25 years ago.... Rolling Eyes

You must have been one of the very last to visit Longbridge, didn't they enter administration in April 2005?

I'd be interested to see any photos of how the MG is coming along.

Post #102713 20th May 2011 7:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>