« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > MG 6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:
Exactly the same colour as one of my Montegos and one of the MG's, so it was hard to ignore! As an aside, the first MG Maestro still holds my own personal record for outright speed on 4 wheels, at 126mph.

I've been faster than that in a diesel golf, Thirsk bypass August 20 2002 6.16 pm ish At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #102716 20th May 2011 7:37 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:

You must have been one of the very last to visit Longbridge, didn't they enter administration in April 2005?
I'd be interested to see any photos of how the MG is coming along.

MGR entered administration on Friday ( I believe as I was in an MGR showroom in Coventry at the time) 8th April 2005. I went on my last tour on the 18th March 2005 exactly 1 hour after I collected my new ZR-Express van - a vehicle that is very sentimental to me as I was lucky to have a few options not listed on the Van spec & MG Sport & Racing supplied me with a genuine chrome mesh grill for the Express as I hated the black stuff they put on the Facelift (Mk2) thus to say I have the only customer ordered Mk2 Zed of any description with a factory chrome mesh. The only other vehicle to have it was the ZR-X motor show car in Biomorphic green which was the car I mentioned in the last post. MG Sport & Racing were still running (though running down) for approx 12 Months from the main factory closure hense why it was May when I was there (amonst other times).

Here is a link to my photobucket albums & the MG Montego is in there but I havn't added any photos this year yet & have several in the camera.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/Ex...20Montego/

I have just this month replaced the centre console,gear gator/knob & ashtray, speakers including genuine new door tweeters,shocks & powdercoated springs going on at the weekend, new front bumper & Wood & Picket Grill ( I have complete W & P kit but will cost too much to prep & paint it!), repaired old Harry Moss alarm & powdercoated the fitting bracket, painted inner wings under bonnet, powdercoated bonnet stay, battery tray,air filter box mount, wire wooled block,rocker, throttle body, new oil + filter (though this was done only 1000 miles back) correct thermostat, new oil pressure switch, new coolant sensor, took off all sensor switches to injectors etc & cleaned terminals etc. New healining is due when I can earn a few more pennies. The car will hopefully be displayed at MG's In The Park at the Cotswold Wildlife Centre on Sunday June 5th. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #102797 20th May 2011 11:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

was that down hill or was the speedo dodgey Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter rainy-city
xs

Post #102801 21st May 2011 6:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

126 mph in an MG Maestro? Okay, so it's a bit pathetic by modern standards but, at the time, that was heroism of the first order Laughing It took very nearly a three mile run up on a slightly down hill section of autobahn.

My own (non work) car is capable of achieving very nearly another 40 mph on top of that, but that fastest I've ever driven it is 100.08 mph at Santa Pod. I like the idea of my own personal, all time, 4 wheel, land speed record having been achieved in a humble Maestro Laughing

Last edited by Tigger on 21st May 2011 8:24 am. Edited 4 times in total

Post #102803 21st May 2011 7:50 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Tigger wrote:
100.08 mpg at Santa Pod.

Very impressive - wish I could achieve economy like that Thumbs Up

What's your secret - 2SO Rolling with laughter 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #102804 21st May 2011 7:56 am
dunroof

Totally legal - 145mph in a factory tuned BMW 5 series. After 120, it didn't seem much faster.

Post #102805 21st May 2011 8:08 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Executive Valeter wrote:
Tigger wrote:

You must have been one of the very last to visit Longbridge, didn't they enter administration in April 2005?
I'd be interested to see any photos of how the MG is coming along.

MGR entered administration on Friday ( I believe as I was in an MGR showroom in Coventry at the time) 8th April 2005. I went on my last tour on the 18th March 2005 exactly 1 hour after I collected my new ZR-Express van - a vehicle that is very sentimental to me as I was lucky to have a few options not listed on the Van spec & MG Sport & Racing supplied me with a genuine chrome mesh grill for the Express as I hated the black stuff they put on the Facelift (Mk2) thus to say I have the only customer ordered Mk2 Zed of any description with a factory chrome mesh. The only other vehicle to have it was the ZR-X motor show car in Biomorphic green which was the car I mentioned in the last post. MG Sport & Racing were still running (though running down) for approx 12 Months from the main factory closure hense why it was May when I was there (amonst other times).

Here is a link to my photobucket albums & the MG Montego is in there but I havn't added any photos this year yet & have several in the camera.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/Ex...20Montego/

I have just this month replaced the centre console,gear gator/knob & ashtray, speakers including genuine new door tweeters,shocks & powdercoated springs going on at the weekend, new front bumper & Wood & Picket Grill ( I have complete W & P kit but will cost too much to prep & paint it!), repaired old Harry Moss alarm & powdercoated the fitting bracket, painted inner wings under bonnet, powdercoated bonnet stay, battery tray,air filter box mount, wire wooled block,rocker, throttle body, new oil + filter (though this was done only 1000 miles back) correct thermostat, new oil pressure switch, new coolant sensor, took off all sensor switches to injectors etc & cleaned terminals etc. New healining is due when I can earn a few more pennies. The car will hopefully be displayed at MG's In The Park at the Cotswold Wildlife Centre on Sunday June 5th.

I see there's a certain red theme in the fleet! We were do annoyed that they'd dropped the metallic red just before we'd ordered our Freelander Evil or Very Mad

That's a real labour of love on the MG and what's a real shame is that we won't be far away from the Cotswold Wildlife Centre on the 4th, but not the 5th, otherwise we'd have dropped by Sad Is it a good event?

Post #102806 21st May 2011 8:09 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

simont wrote:
Tigger wrote:
100.08 mpg at Santa Pod.

Very impressive - wish I could achieve economy like that Thumbs Up

What's your secret - 2SO Rolling with laughter

Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Post #102809 21st May 2011 8:18 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:
Totally legal - 145mph in a factory tuned BMW 5 series. After 120, it didn't seem much faster.

Impressive, but I bet it was no where near as "exciting" as 126mph in a Maestro Laughing

Post #102810 21st May 2011 8:19 am
Junior

England 

Tigger wrote:

Impressive, but I bet it was no where near as "exciting" as 126mph in a Maestro Laughing

"exciting" = death defying Laughing

Post #102818 21st May 2011 10:05 am
dunroof

Yes, 125mph in a Maestro would be like the Star Ship Enterprise going into a Black Hole and entering another paralax universe. Rolling with laughter

Post #102839 21st May 2011 3:35 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:
Yes, 125mph in a Maestro would be like the Star Ship Enterprise going into a Black Hole and entering another paralax universe. Rolling with laughter

Don't sell the event short, it was 126, not a mere 125 mph! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post #102852 21st May 2011 7:12 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Junior wrote:
Tigger wrote:

"exciting" = death defying Laughing

Laughing

Post #102853 21st May 2011 7:13 pm
dunroof

Scottie - I am giving it all she's got Captain, she can't take this for long! Warp drive on the Maestro will blow!

Rolling with laughter

Post #102856 21st May 2011 9:18 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

dunroof wrote:

MG Maestro Turbo - LTD Edition to 505 cars ever made & probably 30 to 40% still exist & fetch good money now. It was the fastest MG ever made & was in 1989 in the same league as Porches for 0-60 etc.
MG Montego Turbo = Fastest saloon car In The World at the time, insanely quick for the day! Launched at the end of 1984/Early 85 & ran till end of MG Montego production in 1990 as the GTi became the MG of that time. The next Turbo was the Rover 420GSI Sport Turbo & was it's self very potent.
Dispite the fact that the Montego Turbo had a 6 year or so run there are now more Maestro "Tickford" Turbos than Montego Turbos!
I briefly had about 5 years ago Maestro Turbo No 131 that I was given by a customer's who's new MG ZS I had just valeted had lost storeage. He said do as you wish with it but at that time I had little time or inclination to restore cars & sold it vey cheaply to a guy who worked for the local MGR dealer - In heindseit a silly move!

Montego 2.0Diesel was if driven ecconimically extreemly ecconomical at (factory stated) 105 MPG with the Perkins engine. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #102858 21st May 2011 10:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>