« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > MG 6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:

That's a real labour of love on the MG and what's a real shame is that we won't be far away from the Cotswold Wildlife Centre on the 4th, but not the 5th, otherwise we'd have dropped by Sad Is it a good event?

That is a shame, this event has not been on for the last 2 years but is a very nice event in a very nice location. I do plan to show the car at this event in Stafford http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgm/
Then on the 7th August at the Harrogate MG event in Pately Bridge. I plan to be at Duxford on 24th July but will have to be in the ZR-Express that time as it is Zed10 (10th Anniversary of the launch of the Zed Series)

Labour of love - Took it to my friend's house today to do the rear shocks = Nightmare as the n/s rear bottom bolt had siezed solid in the bush Censored Censored Took 4 hours to get the Censored thing off with heat, hacksaw etc but didn't have a new bolt Censored so have had to make do till I can get one. The o/s one was off & back on in less than 30 minutes! Rolling Eyes (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #102859 21st May 2011 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hey EV - MG Montego looking good Thumbs Up although why would you put those nasty Rover wheels on it? the origional cross spokes look far nicer and give a better OE look. Wink

Also - whats with the top of the doors - is that black frame as it was from the factory cus it ooks a bit thick Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #102864 22nd May 2011 12:19 am
The Valeter

Captain Worm wrote:
Hey EV - MG Montego looking good Thumbs Up although why would you put those nasty Rover wheels on it? the origional cross spokes look far nicer and give a better OE look. Wink

Also - whats with the top of the doors - is that black frame as it was from the factory cus it ooks a bit thick

The wheels are 15" MG Rover Mirage as fitted standard on the MG ZS110 & then a 17" Version on the ZT120. I got those from the garage I had till last year so very cheap & I put them on as they are easy to clean & as they are 5 spoke show the callipers & all the other metalwork that was repainted & also housed the same size tyres as the standard Montego wheels & all 4 tyres were well & truly shot when I got the car.
However I lost points last Summer for incorrect wheels so I have just negotiated a sale of the said wheels & tyres to a friend of mine who wants replacements for his Rover 45 so I am going to get the 4 original wheels powdercoated in Gloss White which were fitted to the Metro,Maestro & Montego Advantage models back in around 1989/90.

Doors frames are standard, all I have done is to repaint them in satin black. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #102974 23rd May 2011 12:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

As a matter of curiousity, I've just checked the "how many left" site and MG seem to have registered 80 of them in the 8 or so months that they've been on sale (and that must include all of the launch day cars and dealer demonstrators); this must put them a fair way behind that other well known volume manufacturer - Morgan Shocked

Post #118221 26th Oct 2011 5:54 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Tigger wrote:
As a matter of curiousity, I've just checked the "how many left" site and MG seem to have registered 80 of them in the 8 or so months that they've been on sale (and that must include all of the launch day cars and dealer demonstrators); this must put them a fair way behind that other well known volume manufacturer - Morgan Shocked

From small acorns and all that.

MG are leading a product led rebirth. The first design is out as the MG6 with just one engine - two more engines due next year (followed by hybrids).

The MG3 is due next year followed closely by the MG5 thereafter....then a cross over..then a new sports car.

The design centre is working overdrive (excuse the pun) on even more developments and MG Birmingham will become the european factory for the majority of models.

The big marketing push will come with the extra models as there isn't quite enough metal at the mo to make a song and dance about.

But the future looks good.

As a seasoned MGR buyer it was only them going belly up that made me switch to the other part of the old family LR...and now on 3rd LR.

PS MG6 at amazing prices right now.. OMG... http://www.mg.co.uk/news-events/latest-new...GWHATADEAL

Post #118223 26th Oct 2011 7:12 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

That's one point of view. By way of contrast, here's aronline's rather less positive viewpoint:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/10/21...-the-fish/

I particularly like MG's marketing department's idea of publicity shots from customer hand overs (this one is completely genuine!):

As a matter of interest, I wonder if they will be doing any manufacturing at Birmingham in the foreseeable future or will it remain little more than uncrating and very final assembly and testing of virtually finished "kits"? This is not manufacturing by any stretch of the imagination!

Post #118226 26th Oct 2011 7:17 pm
richardk

Tigger wrote:
That's one point of view. By way of contrast, here's aronline's rather less positive viewpoint:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/10/21...-the-fish/

I particularly like MG's marketing department's idea of publicity shots from customer hand overs (this one is completely genuine!):

As a matter of interest, I wonder if they will be doing any manufacturing at Birmingham in the foreseeable future or will it remain little more than uncrating and very final assembly and testing of virtually finished "kits"? This is not manufacturing by any stretch of the imagination!

Yes I'm well aware of contrasting views but I like to be optimistic and having driven an MG6 it is a fabulous car for the price...or indeed a higher price. It looks like the Chinese saw the potential much like the Indians did with JLR. There are plenty of articles on the intranet dissing Land Rover so no reason why MG would be any different is there. Opinions are like backsides - everyone has got one!

The MG3 will be being assembled at Longbridge next year.

The initial production plans don't warrant more local assembly and local sourcing. The plan is that will change as production grows with the new models and variants. If you think back to how Nissan started in the UK with a few CKD kits and what the Washington is now..wow what a change!

If anyone is looking for a good sized family car with real driver experience to support their LR I would recomend taking an MG6 out for a run

Post #118229 26th Oct 2011 7:59 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Looks like we'll have to agree to differ here Wink

Post #118230 26th Oct 2011 8:10 pm
The Valeter

richardk wrote:
Tigger wrote:

From small acorns and all that.

MG are leading a product led rebirth. The first design is out as the MG6 with just one engine - two more engines due next year (followed by hybrids).

The MG3 is due next year followed closely by the MG5 thereafter....then a cross over..then a new sports car.

The design centre is working overdrive (excuse the pun) on even more developments and MG Birmingham will become the european factory for the majority of models.

The big marketing push will come with the extra models as there isn't quite enough metal at the mo to make a song and dance about.

But the future looks good.

As a seasoned MGR buyer it was only them going belly up that made me switch to the other part of the old family LR...and now on 3rd LR.

PS MG6 at amazing prices right now.. OMG... http://www.mg.co.uk/news-events/latest-new...GWHATADEAL

I'm with you on this one & I was a very seasoned MGR buyer, I wasn't a bit interested in anything else. Back in 2001 when I first started valeting I wanted a different vehicle (not a boring van) for my work, at that time MGR didn't have anything suitable as the Rover 75 Tourer/ZT-T was still months away & I don't think I knew anything about them anyway so I bought a Freelander 1 Hardback as it looked fairly sporty but sold that after 2 years & got a Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE Hi-Line.

I went on to buy several more & was one of the very first private owners of a ZT260SE-V8 & my ZR-Express Van that I still have along with my last of line Rover 25GSi models.
I too bought the FL2 for the same reason as you because of the historical connection which given Landrover are now on it's 3rd parent owner since Rover Group it's uncanny how some things don't change (quality control & in some cases reliability)
Even some of the features on the FL2 are very similar to the Rover 75 - trip computer button position & features for example.
As much as I would really have liked to keep up that tradition sadly I currently will not. I have as stated earlier in this thread driven more than one MG6 ( I have a customer/friend with a Magnette/saloon) & whilst I think the car is really good to drive & the kit you get is exceptional for the money then to add that in my time of valeting many cars I have not seen any until the MG6 that are painted & laquered under the bonnet & boot shuts I still wouldn't buy one.
This is not due to reliability issues etc it is simply due to lack of interior colourways & a complete lack/non-existance of accessories & as anyone will see when they see my cars will know I like to personalise & if there are no options/accessories I won't buy.

I did however go into my local MG garage about 3 weeks ago as the owner is a friend. I went in there to enquire about accessories etc & where the diesel engine was to find out that the other guy who was sitting at the desk was from Longbridge. I saw this as an opportunity to ask a few questions.
The brief TV ad that did run cost £4Million which given they had only forecast 2000 UK sales is a lot of money.
Accessories etc are on their way but he stated they are concentrating on getting the next models out (MG3 predominantly) then MG5.
The MG3 should be about May 2012 & will have a 1.1 petrol, 1.5 petrol & a 1.4 diesel.
MG6 diesel is in final stages of road trials & is 170BHP.

When my Fl2 is sold (imminently) I will so long as nothing goes wrong be getting an Evoque Dynamic Si4 Turbo petrol which as I stated to a mate of mine only this morning is a car that could have easily worn an MG badge if the brands were still under the same umbrellar. Having said that the chief designer of the Evoque was a certain Gerry Mc Govern - Rover group designer of the MGF so there is stiil that link!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #118249 26th Oct 2011 10:18 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

It's interesting to see how the sales of the MG6 have been going over the last few months.

Following on from a grand total of 15 registrations on October, MG UK sold a grand total of 4 MG6's and 3 old stock TF's were preregistered in November. To put this into perspective, MG Rover were selling 10,000 a month when they collapsed in 2005.

MG UK have recently managed to dump 100 new MG6's with AVIS Rentals recently though. That should prove interesting for residuals when they hit the used car auctions....

Post #129735 29th Jan 2012 10:31 am
athelstan

Tigger - after very careful analysis (30secs) I'm padding up to come out to bat for your team.

Who needs a fake MG - no one in their right mind. Bust in Brum.

Post #129740 29th Jan 2012 11:17 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thanks, athelstan.

I've been following the reaction of British car enthusiasts on AROline on the MG6 and if you what to take what they say seriously, you'd think that the MG6 was the renaissance of UK manufacturing!

In reality, MG UK employ 200 ish R&D staff and 40 in unpacking and final light assembly of largely complete, Chinese built cars, at Longbridge. By way of comparison, Jaguar Land Rover cover 5 sites in the UK (Whitley, Browns Lane, Castle Bromwich, Halewood and Gaydon), employ around 5,000 British workers in R&D and a further 4,650 Brits in all stages of manufacturing; these figures don't even include jobs in engine manufacturing and assembly at Halewood and Bridgend, or in the UK supply chain!

By all means, buy a Chinese car if you must, but don't be fooled into thinking it's made here!

Post #129756 29th Jan 2012 1:12 pm
richardk

Comparing MG to Land Rover is not really a true comparison as TATA bought a fully functioning and sound business whereas MG Rover had gone bust, suppliers gone bust, production of vehicles nigh on impossible without major redesigns and not owning one of the key brand names.

MG employs over 500 people in the West Midlands which isn't bad for a start up company with enough cash behind it to keep employing them whilst the model range is expanded.

MG have just announced they are entereing the BTCC.

MG sales have been slow, there's no getting away from that but with really only one model in the range with one engine/transmission option.

Those 400 are still working on new designs - the diesel MG6 comes out later this year, the MG3 & 5 follow soon after then the MG5 SUV the a new sports car...and some surprises too like hybrids popping up too.

MG is no longer British owned, neither is Land Rover, MG is not at its lowest point as that was in 2005 but it's on the way up. MG have retained the functional bulk of the Longbridge factory for a very good reason... to build cars...the current MG6 is a CKD but that will change when the new models arrive and more manufacturing will happen at Longbridge. The paintshop is still being kept live.

Having driven an MG6 it is a great car..much like the ZT/ZTT was..I'd have one if they did an engine/transmission that matches my needs.

MG is one of the manufacturers that will be on the up while the likes of Renault continue to fall into the oblivion.

MG in 5 years time will be one of the major car builders in the UK - and like much else here it will be foreign owned. There will always be those anti to MG as there were when it was MGR - well you pays your money and ye makes ye choice - buy a car you like. It is quite the British thing to slag of our manufacturing even though all the foreign companies see them as worth investing in.

Post #129841 29th Jan 2012 8:30 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

just like land rover did with the complete knock down kits for there series vehicles and some defenders you bought
one of these vehicles transported in a box to where you wanted it you then un packed it built it and drove it Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #129846 29th Jan 2012 8:43 pm
athelstan

richardk wrote:
. MG is one of the manufacturers that will be on the up while the likes of Renault continue to fall into the oblivion.

richardk - I don't know which esteemed automotive analysts you use for your research but that statement re Renault's current stability and prospects is factually entirely misleading.

richardk wrote:
. MG in 5 years time will be one of the major car builders in the UK

Would care to enter into a small (or large) wager into your support of that prediction, for I predict they will not by (real manufacturing or kit parts assembly) UK volume output be in the top three. If I win the wager I'll donate my winnings to any UK Children's health related charity you care to mention. What do you say dear chap Question

Post #129851 29th Jan 2012 8:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>