Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diluting the lr brand by tata.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Rowy

What they should do is Cover them in chrome so they stand out from normal Freelanders Thumbs Up

Post #58995 10th Feb 2010 4:14 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Rowy wrote:
Fair enough on the Jag comment but Jaguar used to have an aura of Prestige think E-type, Xk120, Xk220?
You say nobody makes a mention, I think this is because No body cares about them anymore.
Now when i think of Jaguars I think of my mates S type with mondeo interior and engine Big Cry

Don't forget we aren't commenting as share holders but as motoring enthusiasts.

Ok, as enthusiasts I would see 2wd existing as a quick fix that assists in it's future existence - would you honestly no longer buy one purely because of 2wd? Remember, you couldn't buy a Jeep in protest as they're 2wd too Wink

PS: X-type was mondeo, s-type (and xf) was/is a lincoln ls

Post #58996 10th Feb 2010 4:15 pm
Rowy

S type X type what ever Embarassed Like I said don't care or pay any attention to Jaguar anymore.

I would never buy Jeep cos they have diluted their history, Think Wileys Jeep, Now think ugly horible cars with daft under powered engines that don't hold their value?

I bought my FL2 cos of it's heritage & brand name-sorry I admit I'm shallow. when I bought it I didn't know it would be any good as people were saying even Nissans were better than Fl1 etc

Post #58999 10th Feb 2010 4:25 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

If it happens it should have a poor colour palette so people may point and laugh:
Rimini
Stornoway
Martinique etc

Any I've missed? Smile

Post #59003 10th Feb 2010 4:30 pm
Rowy

At least we agree on somethings Laughing

Is there not another shade of grey??

Spotted a Transporter heading to Kendal carrying 5/6 dark grey cars mix of RRS, D4 & FL2s,
Hardly surprising as the average age of A lake district resident is 75.

Post #59005 10th Feb 2010 4:42 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Whats with all the NO................Never stuff.

I had a 1974 Series 3 88"SWB and it was 2 wheel drive Whistle

On the front wheels were contraptions called 'freewheel hubs' and when i needed 4WD I use to have to get out and turn the hubs and then fight with some seized up levers cos they were hardly ever used and hey presto it was a 4WD.

Technology Rolling with laughter A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #59015 10th Feb 2010 5:25 pm
gstd4-e

Here you go - CG has one

Sorry I keep nicking your pics Bow down

They look like early Disco steel wheels? Do you want a set of originals as I have some holding down the kids trampoline A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #59016 10th Feb 2010 5:33 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

gstd4-e wrote:
Whats with all the NO................Never stuff.

I had a 1974 Series 3 88"SWB and it was 2 wheel drive Whistle

On the front wheels were contraptions called 'freewheel hubs' and when i needed 4WD I use to have to get out and turn the hubs and then fight with some seized up levers cos they were hardly ever used and hey presto it was a 4WD.

Technology Rolling with laughter

Glad you said that. I thought that the originals had freewheel hubs but wanted to try and avoid looking like a Censored !!! and getting it wrong.

They did then Rolling Eyes Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #59017 10th Feb 2010 5:39 pm
gstd4-e

xtattsbox wrote:

Glad you said that. I thought that the originals had freewheel hubs but wanted to try and avoid looking like a Censored !!! and getting it wrong.

They did then Rolling Eyes

I sometimes share your reservation, it must be my age Whistle

The source of the thread is Lr2maker so my guess is its going to happen A Land Rover owner since 1988

Post #59019 10th Feb 2010 5:54 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mav71 wrote:
I think it depends on how you look at it.

Land Rover, like other manufacturers will have C02 targets to meet. If by building a 2wd Freelander it allows them to reach these targets, then it's a good idea and the extra money raised by this model could be used to continue to produce better 4x4's.

But on the flip side of the coin, Land Rover is reknown for it's 4x4 excellence. If they build this then it should have a slightly different name. Instead of 'Free'lander may 'Roadlander' Rolling with laughter

There has to be a significant difference from the 4x4 Freelander though in my opinion.

Mav71: You may have hit the nail on the head Shocked - Maybe the 2WD LRX will be called the Roadlander which will be a very apt name for it as it wont be going anywhere else Whistle .
Oh yes, and as Rowy mentioned, maybe it will be covered in chrome so it will sell like hot cakes to those that want that sort of vehicle Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #59022 10th Feb 2010 6:21 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

That old landy isnt mine , it was stored at my place prior to export to Holland, presently there is a V8 one here awaiting a trip to Holland too.
Ive had freewheel hubs on landies too, wern't they a non LR extra? no body remembered to engage them until the LR was parked in the middle of the big mud hole to be driven through

My pickup had the freewheel hubs too but they engage automatically when 4x4 is selected and can be disengaged using a switch on the dash At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #59030 10th Feb 2010 7:30 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Im sure they will be glad of a three grand reduction in price but it will all end in tears when the next snow and ice arrives,who will be sorry then that they dident get the real thing. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Mr. Green

Post #59033 10th Feb 2010 7:52 pm
Lr2maker

United Kingdom 
The lr2 s base model

As the s comes without the terrain response future s trim may be the 2wd lr2. Live your life be free-lander

Post #59064 10th Feb 2010 10:36 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

isn't there an 'e' for other markets - below 's' (trying to avoid mentioning Yorkshire - damn! Whistle )?

Post #59065 10th Feb 2010 10:42 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Don't do it.

Will kill LR's reputation as the only serious SUV maker. look what happened to Jeep in North America. Chrysler took the once respected Jeep name and plastered it on 2WD version of the Dodge caliber just to try sell a few thousand extra cars (It was the only desirable brand it had left since Chrysler, Dodge where considered junk). If Tata wants to build a 2WD SUV based on the Freelander they should brand it as a Jaguar (or Tata Nano SUV).

Other companies like Subaru aren't afraid to be 4x4 only, in fact they brag about it.

Post #59068 10th Feb 2010 10:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>