Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diluting the lr brand by tata.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Natwest

United Kingdom 

What co2 would it be -10 g/km? Don't the fleet buyers have a 160 g/km limit?

And the below list demonstrates there is no market for a 4x2 psuedo suv...
Ford Kuga
Hyundai santa fe
bmw x1
bmw x3
audi q5
honda crv
chevrolet something-or-other
vauxhall antara
vw tiguan
kia sportage
volvo xc60
pug-ugly thing
citroen c-crosser
'bishi wotsit

Post #58872 9th Feb 2010 10:32 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Wrong Natwest - there is a market unfortunatly, and even the X1 and X3 are to be offered as two wheel drive, but a Land Rover Thud 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #58874 9th Feb 2010 10:37 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

That's what I was trying to demonstrate Laughing

plus various Jeep's are 4x2 - another brand that doesn't really trade on 4x4 credentials, just like LR. This is a massive market in US too...

Post #58876 9th Feb 2010 10:57 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

AndyC: My favourite quote was the "better handling", it still tickles me everytime i read it. Rolling with laughter

Post #58882 9th Feb 2010 11:23 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Brand suicide.

Post #58883 9th Feb 2010 11:27 pm
FLETCH

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Lago Grey

Perhaps Ferrari should make a 5dr hatchback with isofix fittings and a roof rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling with laughter

Post #58891 10th Feb 2010 6:28 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

...and Porsche should make a four door saloon. Oh. What do you mean they have?

Stop being so narrow minded.

Yes it is against certain brand values, BUT it would help pay for future product (in a similar sense that the Cayenne does) and reduce co2 average before 2012. You need to take that into consideration as the tax applied for it (with high co2) would be passed on to the customer.

Remember, Porsche types have stopped whinging about the Cayenne, that would happen to 2wd-antis over time.

Post #58893 10th Feb 2010 7:56 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Natwest wrote:

plus various Jeep's are 4x2 - another brand that doesn't really trade on 4x4 credentials, just like LR. This is a massive market in US too...

Embarassed missed your point - now taken Laughing

The 2WD versions of 4x4's are probably purchased by those that have been convinced by the media that they NEED a 4x4 but consider the price a bit steep - they then get side-tracked by a car salesman who persuades them that they can have the car they want but much cheaper Shocked The punters cant see that its got 4WD or 2WD - so who will know the difference Wink - dosnt snow all year and most never go near a gravel track at all, as we wouldn't want to get it dirty would we Laughing
Just the vehicle for the UK as well I would have thought Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #58894 10th Feb 2010 8:15 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
Natwest wrote:

Embarassed missed your point - now taken Laughing

The 2WD versions of 4x4's are probably purchased by those that have been convinced by the media that they NEED a 4x4 but consider the price a bit steep - they then get side-tracked by a car salesman who persuades them that they can have the car they want but much cheaper Shocked The punters cant see that its got 4WD or 2WD - so who will know the difference Wink - dosnt snow all year and most never go near a gravel track at all, as we wouldn't want to get it dirty would we Laughing
Just the vehicle for the UK as well I would have thought Laughing

AndyC, you're pretty spot on with that summary of the Uk market! If more people want a Freelander because they think they need one the better. Just remember when buying secondhand to check for a propshaft!

Post #58897 10th Feb 2010 9:04 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

The more they sell the better as it keeps productin costs down.

Lots of people like the space etc but dont like the co2 / mpg / 4x4 stuff.

If people want them fine but they need something "non removable" to show they are 2wd

BTE everyone I know that has an FL1 has removed the prop and runs it in 2wd Shocked

Post #58908 10th Feb 2010 10:35 am
FLETCH

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Lago Grey

Natwest
I wasnt being narrow minded,
I have nothing against 2wd, lower emissions or Tata making more money from LandRover.
However the answer to all the discussion etc is in the name

LANDROVER

If Landrover want to make a cheaper 2wd fine, but it would almost be against trade descriptions to call it by the same name.

The reason why most of us want a Landrover of any description is because, if need be, it will go anywhere and do anything. Unlike the 2wd models.
If any member of the public wants a cheap to run 2wd they have lots of options allready!

I have no objections to Landrover making one, but they will have stiff competition and should not devalue their hard earned reputation built up over many years.
Call it something else, then the media and public will have no amunition and the Badge and name will still be intact.
Nothing personal

Post #58952 10th Feb 2010 1:18 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

No worries Fletch, apologies for the narrow minded comment too, but I hope you see where I'm coming from.
As a concept I see parallels to the porsche 911-owner backlash when they announced Cayenne having stated they would never do SUV. They also said they'd never do Diesel... d'oh! Staying in business (thanks I'd wager to EU fleet average requirements) makes you do strange things - even at the risk of p'ing off your die-hard customers - things that you probably previously said you'd never do. I guess the Cayenne-hating 911 owners put up with it as a victim of consequence, i.e. no Cayenne = no Porsche
It also wasn't too long ago that Jag lovers said no diesel, estate or front wheel drive - now nobody makes mention of it, and if it weren't for Diesel there would be no Jag.

Post #58987 10th Feb 2010 3:50 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

other than lr2maker mentioning it, do we actually know it's happening or is it 1st april? He said sport le was facelift as I recall Smile, so hoping it's a wind up (even though I see the possible reasoning behind them doing it)

Post #58989 10th Feb 2010 3:56 pm
Rowy

Fair enough on the Jag comment but Jaguar used to have an aura of Prestige think E-type, Xk120, Xk220?
You say nobody makes a mention, I think this is because No body cares about them anymore.
Now when i think of Jaguars I think of my mates S type with mondeo interior and engine Big Cry

Don't forget we aren't commenting as share holders but as motoring enthusiasts.

Post #58990 10th Feb 2010 3:58 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I think it depends on how you look at it.

Land Rover, like other manufacturers will have C02 targets to meet. If by building a 2wd Freelander it allows them to reach these targets, then it's a good idea and the extra money raised by this model could be used to continue to produce better 4x4's.

But on the flip side of the coin, Land Rover is reknown for it's 4x4 excellence. If they build this then it should have a slightly different name. Instead of 'Free'lander may 'Roadlander' Rolling with laughter

There has to be a significant difference from the 4x4 Freelander though in my opinion. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #58992 10th Feb 2010 4:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>