Home > Off Topic > New Discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 23 <123 4 ... 212223>
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

iain cooper wrote:
chicken george wrote:
common sense at last, split tailgates are the work of the devil, why oh why would you want such nonsense?

my brother in law has had a few Discos and the split tailgate is used for sitting on to sort kit out, change footwear, etc when fishing and shooting.

Iain

Can still do all that in the D5, 3 of us all sat on the event platform at the same time, I myself am 19 stone Embarassed I was 22, it felt very sturdy and a lot easier to get things out the boot, yes it's not as large but I done everything I could with my D4. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #311460 19th Nov 2016 1:14 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

HappyNomad wrote:
Tigger wrote:
HappyNomad wrote:
I just sit on the bumper of the FL2 to put wellies or walking boots on. Who needs a split tail gate eh?

Have you ever owned a car with a split tailgate to try using one for at least a few months?

No I haven't* so I might argue that what I have never had, I'll never miss. As I say, for what I do, sitting on the back of the FL2 (tail gate open) does me perfectly for changing footwear. A split tail gate is never going to be a deal breaker for for me or for many many people like me.

*The only 'split' tail gates I've had was a series of Honda CRVs. On the earlier ones the bottom half was hinged to the right and swung open like a door. The later one had a full size opening door (rather than a tail gate) with a window that opened upwards. I just sat on the back of each of those too for boot changes.

Even if that's all you ever use it for, Imagine sitting in the boot, without having to lift yourself over the bumper and without getting the back of your legs covered with mud and water from the top and the rear face of the bumper or the tow bar Thumbs Up

Now also imagine a decent mobile workbench (big enough to saw wood on), or a usable laptop table (just take a chair), or load platform for over sized loads, or even a large and stable platform to stand on while loading the roof. Even if you only ever use it as an adjustable height dog grooming table, or simply somewhere for a border collie to sit and wait for someone to pay him some attention, it's well worth having....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The electric plank in the D4 is far too small to carry out most of what the lower tailgate in the D4 does Sad

Post #311475 19th Nov 2016 8:08 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Sorry but the rear end of the Discovery looks hideous! The off-set reg plate whilst being a nod to LR's past it just look awkward on this thing - at first glance I thought I was looking at the rear end of a Ford S-Max. The only good thing about this car is that is makes the Discovery Sport look nicer Whistle Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #311560 20th Nov 2016 10:22 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

maybe the split tailgate could have a fishing rod stowed in it so you can reach the stuff at the front of the boot without having to climb up and over the door that 'should, be up and over your head.

everyone inconvenienced so toffs can sit on the thing to eat cucumber sandwiches at the horse trials Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #311616 21st Nov 2016 2:06 pm
j77

Scotland 

No mater how bad the Disco looks, it won't tempt me back into the DS. The lights look far better on the new Disco than the ones on the DS.

The back end ain't pretty but I don't have to look at it. The split tailgate had its plus points but for me it's more a hindrance than a help, either stretch over the lower half and get dirty or open it and crawl in to get something. I'm pretty sure my dog will be happy enough without it, so long as her big bed fits in.

Click image to enlarge
 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #311617 21st Nov 2016 2:06 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Edited out by me!

Post #311700 21st Nov 2016 9:55 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Just a quick update. My brother has placed an order for a 1st Edition D5 in Farallon Black which is a premium metallic!

All first editions were sold out in the UK but if your a VIP like me and know what strings to pull Laughing you can get one.

It will be a brand new vehicle due March 2017. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #312288 29th Nov 2016 6:13 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've been out to have a proper look at a new D5 tonight.

On the positive side, I liked the glowing red light 'bars' in the tail lights, there was another couple of inches of leg room in the middle row and the load area, just inside the tailgate, was nearly a whole inch wider too.

Post #312306 29th Nov 2016 11:16 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Discovery First Edition in Namib Orange. Brothers First Edition in Farallon Black is due to arrive tomorrow. Take note First Edition has different bumpers.

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #317498 14th Feb 2017 6:23 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
maybe the split tailgate could have a fishing rod stowed in it so you can reach the stuff at the front of the boot without having to climb up and over the door that 'should, be up and over your head.

everyone inconvenienced so toffs can sit on the thing to eat cucumber sandwiches at the horse trials Rolling Eyes

I usually keep an lightweight alloy walking stick in the back for dog walks and I can hook pretty much anything from the back of the boot with that. I can understand that you may not like it, but why does every LR, but the current FFRR, have to be designed for people with short arms?

Post #317504 14th Feb 2017 9:03 pm
seriesonenut

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

ooh I am not sure about that number plate location (first time I have seen one with a real plate). I can see on a more box like vehicle (Defender, D3 D4) it works but I am not so sure about that layout. That said it soon will be 'the norm'and probably go unnoticed. Neutral

Post #317505 14th Feb 2017 9:04 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

LR NUT wrote:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Takes me back to the days of looking out for a nappy that needed changing Shocked

Spraying it gloss black would help :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #317510 14th Feb 2017 9:43 pm
de1979

England 

Looks like you've distorted the pic in Paintshop or something!

Post #317511 14th Feb 2017 9:48 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

So the only way you tell it's not a DS or RRS (or anything else on the road these days) is the offset number plate. Looks like JLR need to buy a new Jelly Mould. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #317514 14th Feb 2017 10:24 pm
j77

Scotland 

Namib Orange, very nice, never seen it in the flesh. Ordered it based on brochure photos, too late to change colour now, order is locked and builds 10/3/17.

The rear is the only part I don't like, but I don't have to look at it. Oh and I'm not too keen on the dynamic style pack with the toilet roll tubes stuck to the front. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #317517 15th Feb 2017 12:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 23 <123 4 ... 212223>