« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 23 <123 ... 212223>
Print this entire topic · 
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

LR NUT wrote:
Well it was so busy with little scroats running around the Censored this was for customers buying a car not little Censored running riot. Everytime I got 2 minutes to sit in the car some Censored would start to fold the rear seats causing the drivers seat to move forward.
[/URL]

But it's designed for those little darlings. Didn't you see the video?

Post #311378 18th Nov 2016 11:22 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

common sense at last, split tailgates are the work of the devil, why oh why would you want such nonsense? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #311392 18th Nov 2016 1:41 pm
muddywheels

England 

To sit on and watch the hunt Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #311396 18th Nov 2016 3:48 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

LR NUT wrote:
I'm glad the off-road capability is better than the D4 otherwise it would have been a let down.

Unfortunately, we only have LR's word for this; the people who have previously told us that there would be no loss of practicality and that the surround camera system works "to design intent". Very large pinch of salt required, until proven independently! Rolling Eyes

Post #311420 18th Nov 2016 9:40 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

chicken george wrote:
common sense at last, split tailgates are the work of the devil, why oh why would you want such nonsense?

my brother in law has had a few Discos and the split tailgate is used for sitting on to sort kit out, change footwear, etc when fishing and shooting.

Iain

Post #311424 18th Nov 2016 10:25 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I just sit on the bumper of the FL2 to put wellies or walking boots on. Who needs a split tail gate eh?

I like the look of the new car in the same way that I like the look of the DS sport. They are not the cars they replaced though and probably should been found new names as an all new product family rather than persist with Discovery.

Post #311427 19th Nov 2016 1:00 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
common sense at last, split tailgates are the work of the devil, why oh why would you want such nonsense?

You're kidding, right?! Shocked

Post #311433 19th Nov 2016 7:23 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

HappyNomad wrote:
I just sit on the bumper of the FL2 to put wellies or walking boots on. Who needs a split tail gate eh?

Have you ever owned a car with a split tailgate to try using one for at least a few months?

Post #311434 19th Nov 2016 7:28 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Mind you, you might both have a very good point here. If Land Rover are expecting to sell this new car to new customers, rather than existing D4 owners (and they're going to need to!), why not just give them what they are used to in their current conventional estate cars and hatchbacks?

Why tie your sales people up in knots showing prospects something that might be entirely new to them and having to explain the many benefits, when so many will be much happier sticking to what they already know?

If it's worked well enough in Jeremy and Samantha's BMW 3 Series Touring, it should do just as well again in their new Discovery! Whistle

Thanks, it all makes a little more sense now Thumbs Up

Post #311435 19th Nov 2016 7:45 am
taztastic

England 

Quote:
Tigger wrote
Jeremy and Samantha's BMW 3 Series Touring

Nail on the head, the D5 is aimed at a new market, not existing owners, despite their Lamentations, existing owners have already bought into the brand, if 20% walk away, 40% of new clients may come along. Those extra bodies may never have come along if the car was a D4+.
A theme running right through society, Brexit, Trump and the price of Marmite, no one likes change.

As for the split tailgate, that is as iconic as LR itself and a big mistake, the new tailgate with its offset number plate is stupid looking.

Post #311437 19th Nov 2016 9:17 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

It will be a lovely car, and sell loads of them. But it's not for me. It looks awkward, especially its arse end

But, there is now very, very little differentiation between the "family"
They all look the same, and JLR are ignoring the lower end of the market, once taken by the FL1, and the FL2 to an extent

The FL1 was available from as little as £16k, IIRC. The cheapest way into a new LR is now at least double that, in the shape of a 2wd Disco Sport/Evoque

Post #311439 19th Nov 2016 9:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

having had three range rover classic's I like the split tailgate, start loading shopping or whatever in up to the back then close the bottom door and you can safely load more in, if things move while traveling you can open the top door without stuff falling out. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #311440 19th Nov 2016 9:33 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I know people are bubbling over a split tailgate. Yes it's handy I agree. A long long time ago the purists who had LR before they became fashion statements / fashion accessories / had noterious realiabilty issues you may recall the uproar when LR removed the spare wheel from the rear boot door? The boot door that was hinged and opened side ways? When it rained you were drenched! It was a job getting shopping in your, Defender, D1, D2 , FL1 (yes window mechanism went down via key fob but it wasn't recommend using it in winter) We still loved have the spare on the rear door! It was symbolic to LR and many companies almost everyone copied them!

The hard core off-roaders loved the rear wheel in the boot easy to change and check your spare tyre pressure before venturing off! How many folk with the D3 /D4 can honestly say they check they're spare alloy tyre pressure every 4 weeks?

The split tailgate has always been on the Range Rover

Oh and LR used to be solid axels (apart from Freelander) but when Audi, Merc, BMW drivers started to buy into the brand they wanted a faster SUV (HATE THAT FU*KING NAME SUV) so LR started to make them lighter with the use of shafts! (Yes Co2 emmisons later down the line played a part)

I don't recall the uproar that solid axels were dropped ?

I myself love the LR brand and the retro design! My great great grandad started it all with the Series 1. Even when I got my FL2 LR's values had changed to Phase 2! Now they are in Phase 3. The brand has drastically changed the companies is globally and financially stronger than its even been and Jaguar has again became a popular brand. When TATA bought Land Rover they got Jaguar free, as Jag weren't selling. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #311441 19th Nov 2016 9:40 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

FL1 tailgate was much superior. The drop down window meant that you could transport long bits of wood etc and most important, if you had a couple of flatulent teenagers in the back then you could do an emergency car air change whilst you were holding your breath! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #311451 19th Nov 2016 11:31 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Tigger wrote:
HappyNomad wrote:

Have you ever owned a car with a split tailgate to try using one for at least a few months?

No I haven't* so I might argue that what I have never had, I'll never miss. As I say, for what I do, sitting on the back of the FL2 (tail gate open) does me perfectly for changing footwear. A split tail gate is never going to be a deal breaker for for me or for many many people like me.

*The only 'split' tail gates I've had was a series of Honda CRVs. On the earlier ones the bottom half was hinged to the right and swung open like a door. The later one had a full size opening door (rather than a tail gate) with a window that opened upwards. I just sat on the back of each of those too for boot changes.

Post #311453 19th Nov 2016 12:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 23 <123 ... 212223>