Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SONY NV_83 Retro Fit Sat Nav ... amazing fit for only £76
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
SONY NV_83 Retro Fit Sat Nav ... amazing fit for only £76

After getting my XS last week, I wanted to fill the cubby hole with a retro fit Sat Nav, but I didnt' want to spend a fortune or have a gaping gap around the screen. In the end I opted for the Sony NV_83 with was only £76 in the Halfords SALE if you ordered online & collect at the store. This model is 145 x 87mm so is a perfect size for the FL2 cubby & here she is fitted...

I also wanted to avoid any wires, but wasn't keen on removing the centre console Shocked but I found a dead easy way of routing the cable! Thumbs Up

1. Remove the rubber tray
2. Drill out the left hand location hole to fit the power lead
3. Open the glove box & feel across until you can touch the cubby box & see your fingers through the drilled out hole
4. Repeat & feed the cable up through the hole without knocking the vent open/close mechanism off Censored
5. Remove the ball/socket + suction cup form the NV-83, 4 screws & a good pull!
6. Fit the NV_83 to the docking antenna bit, plug in the power & push into the cubby
7. Route the cable out of the glove box by tucking it under the footwell/centre console plastic trim along to the rear 12v socket, job done!

The unit can still be removed & I turn mine on/off by using the 12 socket so I don't have to remove the unit Thumbs Up I'm very happy with it 4.8" screen all for £76 Very Happy

...oh & I know Sony aren't rated much for Sat Nav, but it works well, pick up a signal in no time & I don't use them that much...just wanted a goodlooking screen! Laughing Also if you have windows Vista you'll have to download 'windows mobile device centre 6.1 32bit' to get the CD to run/install! Thumbs Up

Post #26797 6th Sep 2008 1:22 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Nice install might look into that option myself now how do you switch it on do you have to keep removing it or just touch the screen. Smile Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #26798 6th Sep 2008 1:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Podcast

Barton Freelander wrote:
Nice install might look into that option myself now how do you switch it on do you have to keep removing it or just touch the screen. Smile

Thanks, I just plug in the 12v lead into the rear socket to turn it on & when I unplug the lead you get the option to turn off via the screen, so the unit can stay fixed (wedged) in there all the time & just use the large 12v socket to manually turn it on/off... Thumbs Up

Post #26799 6th Sep 2008 1:53 pm
Podcast

Barton Freelander wrote:
thanks just ordered one. Very Happy

Good choice, I can post more pics if you have issues installing it, I used a 10mm drill bit to open up the left-hand hole & the only issue I had was accidentally knocking off the connecting arm for the air vent behind the open/close 'wheel' when I was feeding the lead through Censored ....which after abit of fiddling I was able to snap back on! Thumbs Up

Also, the fit is pretty snug, not jammed in but also not loose & 0.60mph in 11.6 secs means it won't come flying out under 'heavy' acceleration Laughing

Post #26801 6th Sep 2008 2:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

most straight forward install yet, Like sony made it for the FL2 cubby hole Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #26803 6th Sep 2008 3:47 pm
Barton Freelander

I had ordered one online but no one local has one in stock now. Sad Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #26830 6th Sep 2008 11:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Podcast

Barton Freelander wrote:
I had ordered one online but no one local has one in stock now. Sad

The NV_92 is the same size although not sure of the price Confused Also, there's an NV_73 but that maybe only be 4.3" screen??? Rolling Eyes

Post #26831 6th Sep 2008 11:18 pm
Barton Freelander

found one in huntingdon 25 miles away but need to ring them in morning for a stock update all my local ones say stock online but when you ring store they have non. Sad Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #26833 6th Sep 2008 11:25 pm
Podcast

Barton Freelander wrote:
found one in huntingdon 25 miles away but need to ring them in morning for a stock update all my local ones say stock online but when you ring store they have non. Sad

One thing I've noticed today is that the screen isn't as smooth as tomtom i.e. when you've just left a roundabout it looks like you're still on it for a second or two??? Shocked But it catches up pretty soon & I'm not a heavy sat nav user, just wanted a cheap screen to plug the hole Laughing on average I might use it once a month to go somewhere I've never been before...

Post #26834 6th Sep 2008 11:28 pm
Barton Freelander

Not something i will use that much thats why i did not go for the oem setup but i like yours hows it filled the gap agree tomtom is good i use one in my van at work,let hope not Huntingdon have one then i can install it in 2 weeks once the motor is here, i'm having a parrot kit wired in so might get them to do the sat nav wiring into the dash. Smile Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #26836 6th Sep 2008 11:38 pm
Barton Freelander

Manage to get one. Very Happy lets hope i've made a good choice now going by yours i think it will look great. Thumbs Up Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #26840 7th Sep 2008 11:31 am
Podcast

Barton Freelander wrote:
Manage to get one. Very Happy lets hope i've made a good choice now going by yours i think it will look great. Thumbs Up

Good news, I had to search around abit! Just make sure that you connect the rear power socket/sucker assembly but remove the 4 screws & pull out the ball joint so to avoid it hitting the back of the cubby & not allowing the screen to fit flush! Thumbs Up

Post #26842 7th Sep 2008 1:34 pm
Barton Freelander

Podcast wrote:
Barton Freelander wrote:
Manage to get one. Very Happy lets hope i've made a good choice now going by yours i think it will look great. Thumbs Up

Good news, I had to search around abit! Just make sure that you connect the rear power socket/sucker assembly but remove the 4 screws & pull out the ball joint so to avoid it hitting the back of the cubby & not allowing the screen to fit flush! Thumbs Up

Cheers thanks for the tip. Thumbs Up Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #26843 7th Sep 2008 1:56 pm
Carnoch

Yes, you can't complain at that price and it does fit the hole nice and snug. I think it's the best effect that you will get without spending a fortune.

If you wanted the fully fitted look without too many complications in wiring, then the Kenwood 6.95" touch screen and the seperate KNA GPS would do the trick, but then you are looking at 5x the price.

Alternatively, look at truckers satnavs. Garmin do a Streetpilot 7200 at £550. It measures 7.5"x4.5"x2.2" and in theory, should fit in the gap or with the original metal TFT touch screen holder. You might have to Stanley knife the small plastic tabs that do nothing, either side of the blowers but don't quote me on that one.

Post #26907 8th Sep 2008 1:57 pm
christofflammypie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

Thanks Podcast for the info, managed to get a NV U82 from Halfords which is the same as the 83 but without the bluetooth - that's all I could get hold of. Planning to install at the weekend. Like you I just anted something to fit the hole as I already have a Tom Tom for my other car. 2007 GS TD4, Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, Chrome Tubes, HSE alloys, Clear repeaters, detachable tow bar and retro fit Sony Sat Nav

Post #27080 10th Sep 2008 10:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>