Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SONY NV_83 Retro Fit Sat Nav ... amazing fit for only £76
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Yes please, can you also tell us how to load them on. Smile Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #35668 27th Jan 2009 8:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

x2 Thumbs Up

Post #35730 28th Jan 2009 8:47 pm
Jum

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Have a look at my photos. There are a couple of images on their (see if you like them) and a zip file containing the files required.

If you want to use the red freelander you will have to rename the file (same as silver car).

All other files have correct names.

Backup the satnav with active sync.

Browse folders to find required files. Rename the files by putting old in front of the name and then copy new files to replace them.

Have done some more ( buttons and animated graphics) which I'll post later.

Any problems, give me a shout. Should take 5 mins.

Oh and if you want another colour 3d car. Let me know.

Post #35733 28th Jan 2009 10:17 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

After following the various threads on wiring retro-fit sat -nav over the months I found Podcast's solution ideal, in principle, the right one for me. Not wanting to take the dash apart or pay the dealer loads of money to hard wire it (reckoned it was very labour intensive!!), I've done similar to Podcast and am pleased with the result.

My unit is a Garmin Nuvi 760T which has a bottom connector that docks it on to a cradle, you having to push a button on the base of the cradle to pull off the unit for removal or PC downloads. As this unit is smaller than Podcast's at 4.3" screen, it sits further back, so opening-out the left tray mounting hole was not an option. Also, I wanted to leave the rubber tray in situ.

As my Nuvi connector profile is rectangular (approx 1" x 1/4") and there is also a splicer moulded in, further down the lead, for the traffic aerial (with sucker pads), I had to make a rectangular aperture in the cubby side.

If you put your arm in the glovebox and feed your hand past the air vent rod, you can feel the left side and base of the cubby box. I removed the tray and drilled four holes in the left side of the cubby, horizontal to the base of the cubby, and at a height to be just above the rubber tray. I then opened out the area between the holes with a Stanley knife to make a rectangle and further tweaked it with the knife until I was able to pass the 'chunky' parts through. The unit can then sit on its cradle, but you don't see the cradle, as the front lip of the tray hides it completely. There is sufficient cable within the cubby to enable easy fitting and removal of the unit, and the unit fits snuggly vertically, so it does wander to the touch.

I did find that the cable was a bit short, after routing behind the glovebox, so it could not tuck under the centre console plastic when connecting to the forward 12V socket on the console. I therefore dug out an old extension lead that I happened to have and plugged that into the socket and fed the lead vertically down by the passenger seat and under the trim. The connection of the leads being in the rear of the glovebox. It was a pain in the Censored to get the lead under the trim as it was the coiled type, but it was achieved.

I can now, if I wish, leave the unit connected in the car as I can cover it with my cloth and there are no 'giveaway' cables snaking up the dash. By using the front socket, the sat-nav is also ignition controlled, which is what I wanted.

Outlay to fit £0. + 2 hours of physical discomfort due to twisting and turning in a small space and my advancing years.

Hope this is of help to Garmin owners. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #36578 7th Feb 2009 5:18 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Now added pics of sat nav in-situ, covered and uncovered. The power cord is only a small profile on centre console and not readily noticeable.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...282%29.jpg

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...281%29.jpg

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...20Cord.jpg Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #36876 10th Feb 2009 6:37 pm
Podcast

xxtrail wrote:
Now added pics of sat nav in-situ, covered and uncovered. The power cord is only a small profile on centre console and not readily noticeable.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...282%29.jpg

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...281%29.jpg

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...20Cord.jpg

Looks good, glad I could help. I've since managed to get LR to hard-wire it in as they took a week to fix my fuel guage! Big Cry

Post #36878 10th Feb 2009 7:53 pm
xtd5

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

For those still interested in the Sony GPS fit, I see that there are some refurbished Sony Sat Navs available on ebay from the Argos Clearance store currently with 12 month warranty

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-NV-U93T-XXL-WID...634.c0.m14

Rgds

Post #37197 16th Feb 2009 10:36 am
ikduncan

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

for the lifeof me cant work ou how to get the speed camera stuff

get as far as adding it to my basket for £0.00 but when i checkout after i ACCEPT the terms

i get "problem commiting your basket" and im stuck

any ideas anyone? or indeed anyone else with same issue?

Post #37650 24th Feb 2009 9:47 pm
ikduncan

also how do you get into the back of the front 12v socket in order to wire in your acessory socket/satnav off the back?

whole centre console come off?

Post #37804 1st Mar 2009 8:44 am
ikduncan

got it all sorted. got my local 4x4 place to hard wire it in for me while it was getting serviced.

looks sweeeet

Post #38089 4th Mar 2009 9:07 pm
Podcast

ikduncan wrote:
got it all sorted. got my local 4x4 place to hard wire it in for me while it was getting serviced.

looks sweeeet

Just hope they realised it's 5V NOT 12V supply so it doesn't blow up! Censored

I got abit shirty with my dealer about fixing the fuel tank/guage & when I picked it up they'd hard-wired it in also! Thumbs Up Best £76 I ever spent. Shocked

Post #38134 5th Mar 2009 4:54 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

As podcast said hope they have not wired it to the 12v supply or its likely to catch fire they needed to fit an accessary socket behind the dash somewhere so you can use the accessary plug supplied with the satnav running at 5v. Smile Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #38173 5th Mar 2009 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ikduncan

worry not, i supplied them with an accessory socket, wiring and instructions!! lol!

never be too careful!

Post #38189 6th Mar 2009 8:33 am
andrewe

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Forum newbie here, and I just wanted to say thanks to all concerned for this thread (oh and about 100 more I've read that have taught me lots I wanted to know about the FL2).

About to get my first Freelander 2 this weekend, so the NV-U83 has just been ordered, and I'm hoping to get the dealer to hardwire in the adaptor this week while the radio is out for the LR iPod interface unit to be fitted.

Thumbs Up

Oh, and extra thanks to Jum for the excellent graphics – must ask you nicely for a black 3D Freelander 2 sometime Smile

Post #38401 9th Mar 2009 3:48 pm
ikduncan

anyone else aving problems with the unit randomly beeping at them.

almost like there is too much pressure on the case, the touchscreen doesnt respond, removeing from dash and reinserting seems to help

Post #38853 15th Mar 2009 12:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>