« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > CCTV camera for home security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Wahay! It works!
Plugged it all together using just two cameras for now, plugged in my power line things, connected the HDMI cable to my TV, switched it on and......nothing! I should have got a setup wizard. Evil or Very Mad
Made a quick call to Swann and they said my telly resolution was too high so I brought a smaller TV down from the bedroom, plugged in and switched on and I was up and running. Very Happy
Followed the instructions on the screen - language, resolution, time zone etc. then had a go at setting it up on my iPad and iPhone which was dead easy - just download the Swannlink app, opened it up, chose 'add device', took a picture of the QR code on the top of the DVR, chose 'save' and that was basically it. Just got to fit it up around the house now. Oh, and tidy up the front room before wifey gets home from work. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #274718 4th Sep 2015 5:31 pm
taztastic

England 

Been offered this for my new premises, any thoughts on cost, I have very little knowledge of CCTV stuff.

Post #274719 4th Sep 2015 5:33 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I take it that's a fitted price? You have one less camera and a power line kit than me but you do have a monitor. Obviously a higher quality kit than mine but at more than four times the price, it should be. Do you need such high spec suff? I have very little knowledge of CCTV too which is why I basically bought a bog standard plug and play kit. I must admit, I still have to fit it to my house but fitting to a commercial premises should be less hassle I presume. Mind you, it is nice to sit back and let a professional do it. Thumbs Up

Post #274720 4th Sep 2015 5:49 pm
taztastic

England 

Yes, it's fitted and they have offered terms on it, not sure what those are, seems a lot when we can get the stuff you have, I'm of the opinion dummy cameras with a red light are as much of a deterant.
We have dualcom monitored alarms, might do cameras ourselves, just spent £700 on Palisade security fencing, the cctv may only catch the kids impaling themselves on it.

Then customers wonder why stuff is expensive ...

Post #274721 4th Sep 2015 5:53 pm
Craigius

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Steve have made sure that you can access the system from outside i.e with your wi-fi off on your phone?

Taz that system looks like a good price to me. MY 2012 HSE LUX
MY 2010 XS

Post #274725 4th Sep 2015 6:48 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Craig. Yep, switched the wifi off on my phone and got it on 3G.
I was very impressed with the powerline thingy. It's brilliant how that works but thinking back, we had a baby alarm that worked like that 29 years ago!

Post #274741 4th Sep 2015 8:34 pm
Craigius

Lots of people slate power lines I have them on my home network as well as cat6 and they work great.................................. I'm pleased the system worked for you out of interest to myself, if you wouldn't mind posting some images off the system in the day and at night I would appriciate it. Cool MY 2012 HSE LUX
MY 2010 XS

Post #274752 4th Sep 2015 9:53 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Yes, I certainly will do. Just as soon as I get around to fitting it to my house. Cameras will be going under my eaves so I've got to wait for my mate to bring his ladders round to me!

Post #274763 4th Sep 2015 10:14 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

I have the Swann High Definition 2TB 4 Channel CCTV Kit with 4 1080P Bullet Cameras which I installed at the front door, looking down our drive, Back doors, Garage. The system has a great clear picture costs £600 as I had it on a special offer.
There is only one Draw back the infrared night vision seams to Attract Spiders Censored.
The Webs Block the picture at night so I have to clean the cameras on a daily basis at the moment.

Post #274837 5th Sep 2015 7:06 pm
taztastic

England 

Spiderex spray Thumbs Up

Post #274838 5th Sep 2015 7:09 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

DIS. AST. ER!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

Got home early so I thought I'd get the cameras fitted up and the wires in the loft. Had to take my roof tiles off my front extension so that I could route the front door cameras through one if the bedrooms. Not too much trouble. Had a pig of a job fitting the other front camera under the eaves and fishing the wire through to the loft. After about 10 trips up and down the loft I finally managed it but succeeded in pulling the other end of the cable into the loft so I had to repeat the procedure. Then my son came home so I set it all up temporary so that I could connect to the upstairs TV and my son helped me adjust the front cameras - "up a bit, left a bit, twist a bit....." Sorted. Now to the back. That was worse - I ruined a perfectly good net curtain pole which I was using to poke the wires through (wife's just discovered it and I'm in the doghouse -again!). This time I pulled two wires through as I'm putting two cameras close to each other facing different directions. Discovered I'm too fat to be crawling into the far reaches of my loft and I very nearly got stuck. To make it worse, I discovered that I had pulled one cable through the wrong way so that's a job for another day. By now my son had gone out so I had a brainwave regarding adjusting the one camera I had fitted up. I thought I'd connect the system to the Internet, view the camera on my iPhone outside and adjust it accordingly, which I did. Now comes my real, real, real pain. Whilst adjusting the camera at the top of the ladder I.....DROPPED.....MY....IPHONE. Big Cry

I am well peed off. That's not been a lucky phone for me. I bought it sim free at a cost of over £600. I then, by the freakest of accidents knocked it out of my pocket walking into the pee-filled toilet at work. That cost me £275 for a refurbed unit. So now, all I have now for my £875 is this:

Click image to enlarge

At least it's still working. This iPhone 6 is the most awkward phone that I've ever had to hold - I'm always dropping it. Think I might go back to a 5.

Update: I've just phoned the Apple Store and it's only £79 to replace the screen so not as bad as I was expecting. Whistle

Post #275309 9th Sep 2015 7:35 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Wish you'd got all that on CCTV Wink 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #275328 10th Sep 2015 9:18 am
Craigius

Hi Steve

that was an expensive install then!

how are the pictures off the system then are you happy with them

Craig MY 2012 HSE LUX
MY 2010 XS

Post #275382 10th Sep 2015 2:44 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Haven't got it fully installed yet - Just fitted the cameras up yesterday and connected the DVR up in one of the bedrooms temporarily but was happy with what I saw (apart from my phone spiralling earthwards from up high!). Going to fit it all up properly in the loft as soon as the weather cools as it is like a bloody furnace up there in this weather!

Post #275385 10th Sep 2015 3:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

nasty, would have been cheaper to have a pro install Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #275386 10th Sep 2015 3:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>