Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > CCTV camera for home security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Craigius

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

From my point of view I would say that a networked system is going to produce a better image quality than an analogue system, only based around the fact that cat5e and cat6 can take greater bandwidth than coax cable and network cable is more future proof.

I know there are some hybrid systems on the market that use coax able to produce a HD picture but I dont know much about them thats all

Craig MY 2012 HSE LUX
MY 2010 XS

Post #242415 26th Nov 2014 9:29 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

From what I've read, the image quality is really down to the camera - you can get excellent coax HD cams, although I haven't used them in the flesh. In theory ethernet would be better though.

Thinking about it, using network cable is more flexible as you could, if you needed to, use WiFi bridges, powerline etc to get to unreachable places, which would be a nightmare with coax.

Good to know both options exist though and its important those who are considering a system know them all.

Post #242416 26th Nov 2014 9:34 am
Lurcher

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

I have been thinking of a CCTV system recently and had a quote from our local house alarm fella after he did a service visit , 1 x HD SDl 1080p outside camera & 1TB DVR roughly £600 fitted .
I found this and was wondering if it looks reasonable for the price https://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/2-camera-hd-cctv-systems.asp

The 2 camera varifocal system plus cable runs out about £414 supply only , would fit myself .

Post #242429 26th Nov 2014 1:55 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I wonder if anyone can advise me? I live in a semi-detached house and I'm looking to get a plug and play kit with three or four cameras. I'm thinking of possibly fitting the cameras are fitted under the eaves. I have power up there. I was only thinking of being able to record any happenings and view it remotely over the Internet when required on my iPhone/iPad/PC while indoors or at work, on holiday etc. What about wireless ones, would that be easier with three or four wireless cameras and siting the recorder in my hall near to the router to save a lot of bother with wiring? Any suggestions?

Post #264812 25th May 2015 7:40 pm
Chuckalicious

Steve, personally I wouldn't get the wireless ones. You still need to run power to each one so you may as well run power and video.

Get yourself a DVR with whatever quality of video camera you can afford. Someone else mentioned a different type earlier in this thread which is worth checking out too.

Stick it all up in the loft and use powerline network plugs to connect it to your router. Means you don't need to run any long cables as the powerline/homeplug points will do the job for you.

If you want to view from outside your home you will either need a fixed IP address from your ISP (most mainstream ones don't issue them) or use a service like DyNDNS which most routers and CCTV DVRs support. Sounds a lot to take in but it is pretty straight forward. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #264821 25th May 2015 8:20 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

As above, the guy that services my burglar alarm each year has said never ever go anywhere near wireless CCTV....it is not only far from reliable, it is easily hacked Foraging near Gaydon....
——————————————
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #264827 25th May 2015 9:55 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Chuckalicious wrote:
Steve, personally I wouldn't get the wireless ones. You still need to run power to each one so you may as well run power and video.

Get yourself a DVR with whatever quality of video camera you can afford. Someone else mentioned a different type earlier in this thread which is worth checking out too.

Stick it all up in the loft and use powerline network plugs to connect it to your router. Means you don't need to run any long cables as the powerline/homeplug points will do the job for you.

If you want to view from outside your home you will either need a fixed IP address from your ISP (most mainstream ones don't issue them) or use a service like DyNDNS which most routers and CCTV DVRs support. Sounds a lot to take in but it is pretty straight forward.

Aha. So, stick everything up in the loft - DVR and camera wiring, get one of these: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/net...1200.aspx. Plug that into a socket in the loft with the router cable from the DVR into that, plug another one in next to the router downstairs with the router cable between the power line socket and the router and thats that apart from sorting my fixed ISP?

One other thing: I've got one of those powered aerial splitters in the loft where two aerials can go into it (currently only one does) and four aerials outputs come out of it and go to the telly's in different rooms. Would it be possible to put the DVR input into that so that the cameras could be viewed on any of the telly's in the house or would that just start complicating things?

Post #264828 25th May 2015 10:14 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I thought that crime was on the decrease these days on the grounds that most people don't have anything worth nicking at home any more? Very Happy 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #264936 27th May 2015 10:08 am
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I’m reading this with interest as I’ve been thinking about CCTV for a while.
I’m having no end of problems with children (said politely) from the other end of our road playing ball games etc outside our house. Numerous direct hits on the cars parked on the drive over the last 12 months (This last weekend has been a nightmare) very lucky that there has been no real damage (only scuffed paint so far) Evil or Very Mad .
I have a colleague at work (having the same problem), who has just fitted a system from CPC (Farnell) so I’m going to see how good his system is this week.
It’s a bit of a Censored when you can’t leave your cars parked on your own drive.
Anyone had any issues with neighbours complaining about their CCTV? Gone:
2002 FL1 TD4 GS Zambezi Silver
2007 FL2 TD4 GS Izmir Blue

Post #265294 31st May 2015 1:49 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Eurolandy
"Anyone had any issues with neighbours complaining about their CCTV?"

No quite the opposite. when there is an issue they know where to come ! LOL

However when we did have an issue the police where not happy that my front camera viewed the house opposite and said it must only record my own land up to the pavement, however my neighbour opposite asked if I could make sure my camera covered his drive way as well ! LOL

The best camera I have used for detail is one of these,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESP-GuardCam-Secur...B002YWZXX6

however i do also have CCTV around the house nut the image quality is no where near as good as the guard cam !
I use as 32g SD card & reformat once evry three months. I had mine 4 years and still going strong Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #265299 31st May 2015 3:02 pm
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Yep, your comments mirror exactly what my colleague at work has said. Police told him the same but urged him to have it fitted as in the case of an incident it helps them greatly.

Thanks,

Chris Gone:
2002 FL1 TD4 GS Zambezi Silver
2007 FL2 TD4 GS Izmir Blue

Post #265337 31st May 2015 7:43 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

in two words, if your budget will stretch Dedicated Micros
and if its best if you get a system that supports D1 recording per camera at a decent frame rate 

Post #265359 31st May 2015 10:29 pm
countax

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Biscay Blue

I fitted one of the CCTV cameras from Aldi earlier this year after a spate of break-ins at my property. Its one that emails me 6 pictures if it detects movement. I was told by a friend this week that unless i have a sign on my property stating i have CCTV recording then the police cannot use the picture as evidence. Anyone heard similar comments?
I might as well post a sign saying where the off switch is if this is the case.
Nigel

Post #267525 21st Jun 2015 8:59 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Not true

Post #267526 21st Jun 2015 9:03 am
Chuckalicious

I believe that sort of thing only applies to companies, not private individuals. Data protection act does not apply to private individuals. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #267527 21st Jun 2015 9:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>