Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HDC problems - Starting issues - Extra Earth Lead Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 16 <123 ... 101112 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
tank24

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Orkney Grey

Original starter as far as i know.I have a full service history and no mention of starter being changed. Good luck with doing it.
Sure you will manage it JHG. Just 85,000 miles. Remove the air cleaner for more room. I would have done it myself but have nowhere i could work on it.

Post #289561 5th Feb 2016 9:23 pm
snowman

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 2.0T GS Manual Lago Grey

Hi all having an issue with the dash trip computer it used to tell me how much the gallon an stuff but now it's all gone plz help

Post #297948 2nd May 2016 7:45 pm
The Masked Banana

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Fitted mine today

Had a couple of starting issues where there would be a few seconds hesitation and an occasional loss of HDC. So, new battery a week or two ago.

48" Earth strap and then fitted to bolt on starter motor. Then through a small hole into battery box and onto Negative terminal.

Post #309084 15th Oct 2016 6:35 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Had the same problem. Never since adding the extra earth strap. Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #309087 15th Oct 2016 8:32 pm
dsymons

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Indus Silver
Alternate fix

I scanned this thread and others on the internet trying to solve the HDC starting problem. I changed the battery and added an extra earth strap but still got the problem.

In the end I was advised to change the relays in the fuse box, these apparently can get stuck and I was supplied with some uprated 'defender' relays instead of the old ford one's. Apparently the give away was the temperature gauge going all the way to maximum.

In the end we changed relays 2, 7, 4 and 1. Most important being the engine (7 i think).

Hope this might help someone scanning email threads trying to fix their car!!

David

Post #312707 5th Dec 2016 6:59 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Hi what cable size have you used for this mod,i

Post #312848 8th Dec 2016 6:45 pm
Bobbyg

Hi just fitted cable 35 mm ,lugs 35x10 mm at starter motor end 35x6mm at the battary end.no fault code just asks to clear device
What does that mean.what are the next mods as I still in my first week of ownership.
Thanks bob

Post #312965 10th Dec 2016 11:30 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Anyone done this mod to a i6 and if so what length cable did you need?
Thanks

Post #313279 16th Dec 2016 7:43 pm
Bobbyg

Hi 31inch with a hole cut in the battary box ,and covered in p m a as it comes out close to the 12 volt cable.

Post #313281 16th Dec 2016 9:21 pm
bruno1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

spitfire101 wrote:
I fitted the second earth lead but it hasn't made any difference to my battery drain/non starting issue unfortunately

I have a 2007 Freelander 2 had lots o trouble with intermittent starting , I am not a mechanic but look for logical reasons if you listen to the starter motor when it tries to start you can hear it clicking !! and if you had an old car in the 60s or 70s and this happened you got underneath and hit it with hammer ! to get it going Well same now solenoid sticking and freeing at will and I was told by the guy who supplied my new one they also break up. So I got a Denzo starter available online from £150 -£180 fitted by my local garage for £48 and no probs since 6 months on the button every time and even turns over better Oh and like you and others earth lead didn't work Hope this helps

Post #313286 16th Dec 2016 10:42 pm
Bobbyg

Hi as soon as the temp dropped the flat battary returned.checked the battary and the current leakage it measured 1.65amps
With the bonnet up.tryed to disconnect the bonnet switch but having seen to off bonnet locks just locked the in the closed position .traced the fault checking the voltage across rack fuse to the radio supply so pulled fuse no f6 15 amp in the passanger side.voltage dropped down to mill amps with door shut and bonnet locks down.i will check battary voltage in the morning.does fuse no f6 feed anything else?...
Bob

Post #313608 21st Dec 2016 4:17 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

dunkley201 wrote:
I seem to remember that it has been said on here that stop/start models already have a second earth lead. If so, you are unlikely to need a third. Thumbs Up
Bob

Just got my new earth strap 31"long with 8mm and 10mm lugs on,lifted the bonnet to see how easy it is to route it through,very very easy Whistle ,its already bloody got one fitted Thumbs Up it looks factory with a proper rubber boot from the bat/box and very neatly run down to the bottom bolt on the starter.
mine is a 2010 (sept model)60 plate XS/E,a friend along the road has the same model on a 10 plate,i will have a look to see if he has one.
UPDATE
he has a 10 plate same year model etc,and also has one fitted,so perhaps start stop versions have it as previously mooted.
cheers
sandy
FOOTNOTE TO ABOVE.i contacted the seller("willinton"Neat Electric.where I bought it and explained it was my fault I ordered it but the car already had one,he said no problem and to return it for a full refund,which I did on Tuesday and got the refund today!!,terrific service and communication from a guy called martin.
PS,i do not know or have had any dealings with this company but would defo recommend them. Thumbs Up

Post #313827 24th Dec 2016 5:14 pm
999mick

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black
Battery Replacement

2008 2.2 td4 HST past few weeks noticed drop in power, reduced MPG and just a bit under the weather. After reading numerous threads on here I checked voltage on battery 12.37v, this is the original battery so is 9 years old. Charging system working fine showing 14 something when running. Today I replaced the battery and the results are unbelievable, power is restored, MPG up and generally running smoother.
I'm not a mechanic but to my knowledge (or lack of!!) the battery is used to start the car but after that the alternator takes over - how is such a noticeable difference been achieved??

On a separate note I've decided to fit the extra earth between battery and starter as lots of people on have discussed. Where do I attach cable to starter ? Do I have to remove one of the starter mounting bolts, slip the cable on and replace ?

If anyone could explain any of the above Id really appreciate it.

Mick

Admin- merged into thread

Post #314701 7th Jan 2017 7:01 pm
Richard H

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Happy new year to you all.

A big thank you to you everyone on this topic. I have been through hell trying to sort out my HDC, Starting and other problems. My wife and I are in the Alps. When we had a -15 degree day ... and I got the array of error messages, transmission failure, stalling, not starting, emergency flashers flashing, flat battery . .. and key fob lockied in the dashboard!

By the way, I have a new 800amp, 80amp hour battery, AVIA fuel guaranteed to -24 degrees C plus Bardhall addiditive for down top -28 degrees C..

Thanks for the advice, Bow down I shall put in an earth strap from battery to engine casing and also to starter motor top bolt!

Yesterday I removed the battery, charged it, and the motor turned after a few seconds of glow plugging ( I've 4 new glow plugs), in a temp of -3 degrees C. No problems.

Next week we are set for -21 deg C, so we shall see!

It is really embarrassing to be poking under the bonnet of my English Land Rover, with the French calling it Indian Technology, and British engineering, as if that explains all....!!!

Last year, when I took my FL2 in to a Land Rover Dealer, they had absolutely no clue about cold weather issues with LR2s.

Watch this space ....

Post #315051 11th Jan 2017 8:57 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

hi Richard,intesting post.i booked my fl2 into my local main dealer(baretts)ashford kent for the FREE winter health check,they had it for 90 mins.(while swmbo and i sat in all the new stuff drank coffee and ate their biscuits).the service lady prised us out of a new rr sport Mr. Green and went through the checklist.i was surprised how much they did and what they checked.they did a batt test and it showed it was down a bit but the batt is now 6 years old,she did say they can last up to 8 years, so I will stick it on my cetek smart charger over the weekend .the only thing they found was the rear discs and pads were worn and the pads were just over 3mm,but nothing to pannick about.they also gave the car a full wash and valet,at the bottom of the worksheet was the invoice,total inc vat was, £00.00.FANTASTIC SERVICE.
big thank to Angela Russell,the service team leader.for help and advice.
so I think the moral here is there are some good "stealers"out there. Thumbs Up
ps,i think we are really in for it tonight in kent,could be as low as -2c and 25-50cm of white stuff Rolling with laughter

Post #315082 12th Jan 2017 10:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 16 <123 ... 101112 ... 141516>