Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Dune driving anyone?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Dune driving anyone?

Anyone interested in the Sydney/Newcastle area for a day out on the dunes at Stockton between Xmas and New Year? I have posted on aulro.com. A convoy of Freelanders hitting the beach and dunes might be fun. Mike

Post #84486 16th Dec 2010 9:48 pm
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Sounds great - I've got 2 weeks off over Christmas! I bring my board and wetsuit! I'll catch you up if you have left before I get there !! Rolling with laughter 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #84500 16th Dec 2010 11:11 pm
cdn_downunder

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Freel2 doesn't arrive until 12 Jan, Censored ! Taking a road trip from Sydney to Fraser Island at the end of Jan though... 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #84518 17th Dec 2010 2:56 am
mikehzz

Hey agroman, you won't need a wetsuit around here this time of year. Temps likely in the 90's F if not higher especially on the dunes. I'll be in Europe in late January and looking forward to a few brisk walks in the weather over there.

Too bad cdn, it would have been a good trial for Fraser. The FL2 has a few quirks in it's 4wd system to get used to after standard 4wd's.

Mike

Post #84530 17th Dec 2010 10:07 am
EYorkshire

Lucky you with the weather and even luckier you in that you can do some dune driving, over here it just can't be done legally. Next year we are hoping to visit your country as we have friends in Newcastle, I'll make sure it's winter here to catch your summer. Enjoy your outing Thumbs Up

Post #84536 17th Dec 2010 11:05 am
mikehzz

Thanks mate. Summer is a bit hot over here in a lot of places. I've had the temperature read 45 C on my back verandah. Personally I like spring or autumn, mid 20's C and no clouds. If your friends have a forby then get out to the dunes at Stockton it's a fun day out. It's only 20 minutes from Newcastle. Cheers

Post #84548 17th Dec 2010 12:48 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

CDN - I'd be very interested to know how you go over on Fraser. I've got a new MY11 Freelander on order and was concerned about how it will fare in light , fluffy, deep sand that you can find in various places over on Fraser. It's my first FL2 and I'm changing over from a Toyota Surf Petrol which goes very well everywhere except in fluffy sand, particularly if I ever get caught off-guard and lack momentum. Since there are quite a few places to "play" in the sand around here in addition to Fraser Is, including access to some great camping spots, I'd be most interested. If your travels include the camping thing, I run a caravan park in Maryborough which is a common stop-off location for those who access the barges that leave River Heads (Near Hervey Bay) and arrive in the centre of the Island. Look me up for a free stay - just mention the Freel2 forum.

Post #85552 27th Dec 2010 11:00 am
mikehzz

I've been to Fraser several times but not in the FL2. There are places at Stockton that are worse than Fraser and the FL2 handles them well. You have to know how to drive the different terrain system to get the best out of it because it's not the same as a conventional 4wd system. Also, my experience has been with 17" wheels. I reckon that 18's or 19's wouldn't handle deep fluffy stuff so well. Remember to turn the dsc off and if you get stuck then reverse out in mud and ruts setting. Use manual mode on the sand setting unless you are gunning it up a big dune....not many of them on Fraser that I remember? I've had the tyre pressure down to 14 psi on they deep fluffy stuff. No sharp turns or you can roll the tyre off the rim. I'd have no hesitation taking mine onto Fraser.
Thanks for the kind offer. Mike

Post #85569 27th Dec 2010 2:17 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Thanks Mikehzz. I might write that down as there's nothing like a bit of experience in a particular vehicle. I have done quite a bit of and driving but never in the FL2 so I'm looking forward to it!

Post #85605 28th Dec 2010 1:23 am
cdn_downunder

Thanks jaksbak, will do. We're in Canada at the moment visiting family and I wish I had it here now for the snow! Should be delivered mid Jan when we get back so will report in on how we go and may well look you up as we plan on camping our way from Sydney to Port Douglas and back via different routes!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #85609 28th Dec 2010 2:12 am
mikehzz

Well no takers for dune driving in the FL2 crowd but the Aussie Land Rovers went up there for new year. Check out what you missed here
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/nsw-act-reports/...ost1398620
Some good pics.
The trip was written up by Dullbird who is a Pommie girl living over here. She had relatives from the UK with her. It looks like they had a great time.
I've had the FL2 in all those places with no real hassles. Cheers Mike

Post #86155 2nd Jan 2011 2:43 pm
Dazza

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I'm headed up there on Saturday, March 12..
I'll let you know how it goes..
If you have any advice, please let me know..
I know the 19" won't be the best.. but I have to give it a shot

Hopefully the weather holds..

I'll take a few photos and post any that are alright..

D

Post #94726 10th Mar 2011 10:02 am
mikehzz

It might be tricky entering from Lavis Lane with the 19's if the sand is dry and fluffy even with the new improved entrance. Last time I was there a new VW Tiguan made it all of about 20 metres off the formed road before getting totally stuck. If so, go up to the Anna Bay entrance because its much easier. The beach is flatter up that end as well. Don't forget you need a permit.

Post #94751 10th Mar 2011 1:13 pm
jaksbak@freel2

I will be very interested to see how the 19" go in sand dunes. Please let us know - good, bad or indifferent. I've ordered 17" and Bridgestone Dueler A/T's just to give me that little bit extra when required.

Post #94840 11th Mar 2011 3:57 am
cdn_downunder

Dazza wrote:
I'm headed up there on Saturday, March 12..
I'll let you know how it goes..
If you have any advice, please let me know..
I know the 19" won't be the best.. but I have to give it a shot

Hopefully the weather holds..

I'll take a few photos and post any that are alright..

D

Hey Dazza, what time are you heading up? We were going to go camping up Dharag National Park but the weather's a little iffy so we thought we might just go do some off roading tomorrow. Maybe meet you up there for a picnic perhaps.

Where do you need to get the permit from? 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #94841 11th Mar 2011 5:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>