« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Fuel Economy of the i6 <Merged>
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
ralonso

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Fishy,

I took delivery of my HSE i6 earlier this year. Like you, I was umming and ahhring about the whole Diesel vs Petrol thing. In the end the extra sticker price of the car, the higher cost of Diesel, the extra cost of servicing Diesel and the ongoing issues with "dirty" Aussie Diesel swayed me towards the Petrol.

I was averaging high 13's for the first few thousand k's. I have now done 8,500k's and it has been stuck on 12.5 for quite a while. Most of my driving is around suburbs, hardly any highway, a little stop start, a little off-roading (beach) and aircon always on.

I get just under 550km per tank of 95PULP and a little less with E10, I havn't tried 98 as yet, but when I do I'll let you know the results. The car runs fine on E10, but I did notice that the engine felt and sounded rough at first start in the morning. So I try and run on 95RON as much as I can.

If you don't notice any improvements after 10000k's I'd take it to your service dep. and get the software upgraded, as others have suggested.

Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Post #30089 29th Oct 2008 5:02 am
wasssup

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Hey ralonso... how do you find the petrol on the beach? enough torque? i am in the middle of deciding if I should go petrol or diesel at the moment also.

Cheers.

Post #30677 10th Nov 2008 12:49 pm
ralonso

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi wasssup,

Not too much problem with torque, I know the TD4 has heaps at 400Nm but the i6 is no slouch at 317Nm. Compared to the new diesel x-trail at 320Nm, it's very respectable. One thing I do like about the i6 on the sand is the extra Kw's.........comes in handy when you need a quick run-up before climbing a steep sand dune.

It's a tough decision between the diesel and petrol..........both are great engines. In my opinion it all comes down to the type of driving you are going to do. If you are going to do alot of towing and long distance outback driving, get the diesel. If most of your driving is around the burbs and highways then save your cash and get the petrol.

Either way good luck and let us know what you decide.

Post #30709 11th Nov 2008 8:31 am
wasssup

Cheers for the advice, I am going from a HSV to a land rover for a change of pace, looking to go exploring around the coast and inland around perth, the most towing i do is with a jetski... so not much weight. mon-fri will be around the 'burbs, weekends will be out and about exploring.

I have done the math on the fuel saving between diesel and petrol, and it is a little bit over 20,000kms, which is what I average a year.

Im still worried about the reliability of the Land Rover...

Will keep you posted on how i go...

Post #30823 12th Nov 2008 8:46 am
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Mate, Ive had mine for a month. Only taken it back to activate my dipping mirrors and they adjusted my my auto lights. OH and a speaker on the door will need to be replaced. On order.

Apart from this minor issue, the car is sweet. I came from a XR6T running a high 12 to a truck which would run the 1/4 mile in 20 secs. Laughing

But i love it! Thumbs Up

Dorko

Post #31240 18th Nov 2008 9:03 am
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Your spot on with your recommendations with the i6 vs td4. The i6 has considerable more zip then the td4 and if most of your driving is going to be cruising (and zipping) around town more so then towing and excessive offroading then go the i6. I did and dont regret it and i too came from a Commodore background. The price of fuel difference is quite a bit now days and the i6 runs a decent 0-100kms.

Fuel economy is obviously higher but mine is improving now that there is more kms on the clock and also after i took it in for a software upgrade - one of the big advantages of this forum is being able to go them armed with info and facts so you dont get fobbed off!! It seems to have made a bit of a difference.

Hey Dorko good to see youve finally got your FL2 and loving it!! 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #31243 18th Nov 2008 9:20 am
Dorko

Fishy,

When you going to go out 4wding?

Whats the average fuel consumption now? Mines 10L/100km. I can get it down to 8L but dam i have to drive it like a L plater. no fun.

Lucky i dont pay for fuel! Diesel is expensive!

Dorko

Post #31258 18th Nov 2008 1:34 pm
Fishy

Down to around 13L/100kms (sometimes 12.5 other tanks 13.5). Not to bad vs your 10L and the cost of diesel vs petrol. How many kms does that work out per tank? i get about 500kms per tank. Good to see the price of fuel has dropped a fair bit over the last 4 weeks isnt it. It should keep falling now the price of crude oil has dropped to its lowest price in a while. Thats if the theiving b*stard oil companys pass on the price cuts. A bit like those theiving b*stard banks Evil or Very Mad

Sorry for the rant and rave!! Embarassed

I took her out to do a little bit of offroading down Margeret River and Dunsborough way (nothing too big) but it took me 2 days to clean the car so not that keen to go out again too soon Laughing 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #31325 19th Nov 2008 7:21 am
Dorko

Hahahahahaha

I get 700kms on the tank. More if i could do less city driving. I get my car back tomorrow. Its having a sat nav installed. cant wait.

Anyway go more 4wding. Dont worry about how clean it, its part of the fun

Dorko

Post #31380 20th Nov 2008 1:16 pm
Fishy

Ha!! hows that Shocked i got my car fitted yesterday with a sat nav too!! I just went for the portable sat nav unit the new navman s200 wired and fitted into the dash. Very happy with it as it looks like its meant to be there and a very cost effective option. The silver and black border of the sat nav matches perfect with the silver and black colours of the dash, vents and gear stick.

What sat nav did you get installed Dorko and how did you do it?

Post up a pic if you can!!

700kms vs 500kms per tank is a bit of difference. What does that work out a tank? For me a full tank is about $90. Was over $120 not that long ago! 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #31384 20th Nov 2008 2:38 pm
Dorko

HAHAHAHAHA, you post a pic of your GPS! Laughing I was going to do the portable sat nav. You are right bucket loads cheaper. However I got sucked in with the Ipod movies and reverse camera. So the guy is installing a 5' screen with Garmin GPS. Not touch screen- Cost to much. But comes with the garmin remote. Also the best reverse camera i could get on the market, picture is clear and sharp, also a Ipod cable so i can watch movies/ tvshows. all up mines $1700. But it can all come out for $100 when my lease runs out and no cutting of the dash or drilling holes.

So what did yours cost in the end? Did you have to go with a external antenna?

They had a 7' unit. Did everything under the sun, blue tooth, ipod interface etc. but that was a whopping $3800 and that was the cash price. But also meant the current stereo is replaced with a more powerful one with new fasica. Looked amazing though. So would of bought it, if my Financial Controller AKA Wife wasnt so tight.

Anyway back to fuel, last fill cost $96.

Post #31422 20th Nov 2008 11:11 pm
wasssup

how about both you guys post pics of the GPS installs!... i am also looking to get one installed.

Post #31428 21st Nov 2008 5:38 am
Dorko

I pick mine up tonight. Post Pics tomorrow Very Happy

Dorko

Post #31430 21st Nov 2008 8:27 am
Dorko

GPS not quite finished. I post pics when totally finished.

Dorko

Post #31505 22nd Nov 2008 12:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123