« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Fuel Economy of the i6 <Merged>
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Fishy

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Fuel Economy of the i6 <Merged>

Just wondering what everone elses fuel economy for their FL2 i6 is?

I always seem to average 14-15L/100km for each tank of fuel. This is for normal paced driving in the city and suburbs (so a mix of suburban streets, freeways and a little stop-start).

This seems to be quite high compared to my previous car that was a V6 3.8L that i drove a lot harder???

Should have gone with the TD4 but it costs more then the i6 here in Oz and the price of diesel is a lot more too. But mostly i loved the zip and drive of the i6 Razz 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #25560 13th Aug 2008 6:57 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Fuel Economy of the i6?

Fishy wrote:

I always seem to average 14-15L/100km for each tank of fuel. This is for normal paced driving in the city and suburbs (so a mix of suburban streets, freeways and a little stop-start).

This seems to be quite high compared to my previous car that was a V6 3.8L that i drove a lot harder???

Should have gone with the TD4 but it costs more then the i6 here in Oz and the price of diesel is a lot more too. But mostly i loved the zip and drive of the i6 Razz

Shocked CRONKERS Shocked TD4 more expensive than i6 Shocked Shocked Shocked
Here in Norway you have to pay £26560 (60097 AUS) MORE for the i6 (HSE) Shocked and here the fuel prices are the other way round (although less so of late). I wonder what thieving b Censored r is pocketing our cash and telling us some crap about saving the environment by taxing our b Censored s off. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25561 13th Aug 2008 7:33 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't think there will be any response to this question from the UK .... an i6 you must be joking. Shocked

npinks has been playing with one as a courtesy car, that's as near as anyone around here will get to one .... Thumbs Up

Post #25587 13th Aug 2008 5:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Very Happy

The i6 i have had for a couple of days has gone through £30 of fuel i have had 6.9mpg from a standing start foot to the floor to 31.9mpg tootling along at the speed limits and taking my time to get them and been in as higher gear as possible at all time.

driving it like my TD4 i was getting 18-19mpg which was a little shocking, Shocked

I also found the car a little jerky, gently accelerating it dropped a gear only to change back up straight away, I presume it was me push the accelerator down too much or too fast, but i found it a smoother ride in snow mode, Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25597 13th Aug 2008 7:10 pm
nosliwedaw

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Fuel Economy of the i6?

Fishy wrote:

I had a loaner i6 for a day and got 11- 12L/100km under similar driving conditions(maybe a tad more freeway), being a loaner i wasn't all that easy on it either.

Maybe see if your dealer will let you take a loan car for a spin for say 20ks, then take your car over the same loop, driving the same and see what you come up with. Hardly scientific but it should give you a good idea if your car is normal or not.

Post #25604 14th Aug 2008 5:00 am
nosliwedaw

oh, forgot to ask. What fuel are you using?

Post #25605 14th Aug 2008 5:01 am
Fishy

using premium unleaded fuel as recommended.

here are the Oz prices for FL2 ($A obviously)

3.2L Si6 Petrol SE

2.2L TD4 Diesel SE

3.2L Si6 Petrol HSE

2.2L TD4 Diesel HSE

these prices do not include dealer delivery, stamp duty, 3rd party licencing, and metalic paint option (not that it is an option!!)

and the cost of fuel

Premium unleaded $1.50/L and Diesel $1.78/L 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #25614 14th Aug 2008 8:15 am
Fishy

Fuel Economy of the i6

I posted this on the general section of the forum but dont think there are many i6s in the English and European market so not sure what sort of reply i will get. Hopefully there are a few more i6 owners here at home.

Should have gone with the TD4 but it costs more then the i6 here in Oz and the price of diesel is a lot more too. But mostly i loved the zip and drive of the i6 2008 FL2 HSE i6 Stornoway Grey Ebony Premium Pack Sunroof Indash Navman Illegal Window Tint Smile

Post #25616 14th Aug 2008 8:20 am
nosliwedaw

Guessing that you used to drive a Commodore or Mitsu 380?

I used to drive commodores for work and i would have to say the the freelander would return similar consumption in mixed driving, not on the highway however, they would not be as economical in my opinion. What is your average speed on the trip computer?

Maybe give 98 RON a go for a few tanks?

Strange that they jacked up the price of the TD4's by $500 and the metallic paint has also gone up by $300.

Post #25632 14th Aug 2008 11:24 am
gren

Australia 

mine average between 13.2 & 13.7L/100km. Over 15 during the time I had to make a lot of very short trips.

I find that fuel quality makes a difference on fuel economy as well.

What was your previous car? I think it is normal to have higher fuel consumption for 4WD than sedan for it is bigger with more weight and drag; FL2 is a bit heavier than other 4WDs of similar size. And there will be more power lost through mechanical linkage.

Have the sun roof opened when driving also increases fuel consumption.

Post #25651 15th Aug 2008 1:31 am
slaughlin

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

From the USA, I'm getting 19MPG in town (mixed highway and city driving) and 24 on the highway. Most premium in the Southeastern US is 93 octane, and mid-range is 89 octane. As gasoline prices have risen, I have started mixing mid-range and premium to get to the specified 92 octane.

Steve in Alabama

Post #25652 15th Aug 2008 2:53 am
nosliwedaw

slaughlin wrote:
From the USA, I'm getting 19MPG in town (mixed highway and city driving) and 24 on the highway. Most premium in the Southeastern US is 93 octane, and mid-range is 89 octane. As gasoline prices have risen, I have started mixing mid-range and premium to get to the specified 92 octane.

Steve in Alabama

12.3797149 liters/100 km - 9.8006076 liters/100 km

Post #25653 15th Aug 2008 5:07 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I get 17.2 l/100km from my i6, but I do drive it hard and always drive in commandshift. (but somehow, no matter how hard I try, it isn't as fast as my other car Laughing )

Driving in 'drive' massively improves fuel economy, and when not driving my regular route to work, or with customers (or the wife surprisingly) then there is a huge difference in fuel consumption.

I am guessing when you talk about a previous car with a V6 3.8, that you were referring to an actual car rather than a 4x4.....and if so there is your difference. The LR2 is always driving all 4 wheels which is the biggest fuel consumer, but also there are a number of items that make, by design, a 4x4 less efficient. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #25656 15th Aug 2008 6:53 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Merged both topic in to the Austrailian section Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25672 15th Aug 2008 11:05 am
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I'm one of the rare UK owners with an i6. Knew it was not a sensible financial or environmental choice but also thought it was probably my last chance to own something of this kind. I don't normally do that many miles although every now do a long trip. Will go to Italy next year at some point. Normally get around 22mpg but on a longer trip have had 28mpg. Tend to drive it pretty carefully, often using Command shift to keep in a high gear as much as possible, with occasional use of auto and sport mode when 'conditions require'. Use supermarket super-unleaded mainly but also normal unleaded too.

Fantastic car, no regrets.

DT

Post #25708 15th Aug 2008 5:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>