Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 25 <123 ... 567 ... 232425>
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Seems like a very reasonable request Seb. If there is an official fix, but some dealers aren't aware of it, it shouldn't be the customer who suffers. Raising awareness with your local dealer with some official guide would be very useful. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because Iā€™m mental
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though šŸ˜Ž

Post #267700 22nd Jun 2015 12:45 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Jag 2.2D's used to suffer from this - could be the Cam Position Sensor
Have a look at www.sajah.keepandshare.com where you will find some pdf documents I wrote for the Jag Forum which may be of assistance to you
Cheers
Jim No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #267704 22nd Jun 2015 1:04 pm
ewrfvadffe

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Barolo Black

Hey Jim,

thank you for the hint with the Cam Position Sensor.
I will give this information to my dealer.

best regards
Sebastian

Post #267706 22nd Jun 2015 1:24 pm
Franklinp99

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I had my 2011 td4 man looked at by LR engineers at Guy Salmon Maidstone on Thursday but they couldn't find any errors so just reloaded the software. In the end they said there was nothing they could do and that the stutter anomaly was just a feature of the cars produced that year. I'm still unsure whether reloading software has had an effect so will keep an eye on it for now.
One thing I will say is the customer service was superb, they had the car for nearly 2 hours and served us coffee & donuts while we waited and then didn't charge me a penny as they admitted they couldn't find any faults.

Post #267710 22nd Jun 2015 2:05 pm
ewrfvadffe

Hello,

does the problem with your car only occurs at higher ambient temperatures too?
In the winter I did not have the stuttering problem.

Is there anybody who have recorded some vehicle data at the moment when the stuttering occured?

Sometimes i was told "There are no errors logged, so there is no problem or hardware defect"
In my opinion a "error" will be logged when a parameter runs out of a expected range.
But i think it is possible to have a bad behavior of the car when a value is gets near the limits but is not high or low enough to write an error.

Sebastian

Post #267713 22nd Jun 2015 2:54 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have said this elsewhere but our 2011 was in the LR dealer a couple of times last year and they found nothing wrong, what they eventually did was update the software, recalibrate the air flow system and change the fuel filter. That was last September and it has been OK since, highest temperature I have been in since is about 24C. The dealer admitted that LR don't know what causes the problem and that they had 3 customers with the same problem. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #267813 23rd Jun 2015 2:18 pm
El_Crispo

United Kingdom 

To add to the weight of evidence above I can also state that my 2012 manual TD4 experiences VERY similar stuttering issues. Have also had the heart-stopping moment when pulling onto a roundabout only to be greeted with a power hesitation!

Been in to LR three times now, twice last autumn after which it seemed to clear (funnily enough this tied in with winter). and once again this month (now it's warmed up). However they don't know what the root cause is. Interested in case where LR 'frigged' the temperature monitor in order to replicate the conditions. If this proved useful why hasn't this learning been shared across LR? it's what BMW would do...... Rolling Eyes

Post #268163 26th Jun 2015 10:52 pm
alex_pescaru

Do you see here a pattern?....
Most (if not all) cars with problems are post MY2010, so the EDC17 ECU, an evolution to the old pre MY2010, EDC16 ECU. So, not always what's new is better and/or without problems.
In my opinion, as the most of the components are quite the same, it should be looked at the ECU's firmware (software)... That's supposing that the ECU hardware is flawless.
Anyhow, the ECU may/could be the problem... But that's just my 2 cents and I may be wrong...

Post #269661 15th Jul 2015 3:00 pm
SimonBattersby

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

After trying what seemed to be a million different things to get rid of our stutter we think we've finally cracked it. It turns out our EGR was faulty even though it was pretty new. It's just been changed foc so hopefully this will iron out the problem.
Cheers
Simon

Post #269700 15th Jul 2015 10:41 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Good luck Simon, however several of us have had the EGR replaced but it did not provide a long term fix.

I would advise anyone who has this issue to take the vehicle to their dealership and request that they carry out the procedures that LR have identified to help resolve the problem. I will be booking mine in soon, but EYorkshire's experience suggests that there is reason to hope we can all get a fix.

If your dealership is not aware of the procedure then ask Ryan to speak to them directly.

Post #269757 16th Jul 2015 1:35 pm
alex_pescaru

And LR is still investigating....
The below bulletin, that could be related to your problems, is dated April 28....

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 11th Oct 2019 8:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #269767 16th Jul 2015 3:17 pm
ewrfvadffe

Hi alex_pescaru,

this is exactly what i am looking for Smile
I hope there will be a official fix for that problem soon.

Thanks
Sebastian

Post #269850 17th Jul 2015 1:14 pm
CBUK

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Hi following this thread it seems to end with no resolution - have Land Rover com up with a solution? I have this stuttering fault on my 2006 Fl2 97000 miles now had it for a year. I tow a lot. So chipped it to increase torque and Mph. I get 38 MPG ON A LONG RUN TOWING HALF A TON. Stuttering changed!
I regularly drive back and forwards to spain and the problem seems to occurs regardless of ambient temperate and engine temperature and indeed time. I have started up driven 2 miles and it occurs in first mile. I have started up its occurred in the first mile and then driven 500 mile with out a problem. Recently it regularly occurred in 300 mile journey at ambient temperatures of 40C. Then it disappeared. Came back a week later. In a fit of desperation I raced the engine which I never really do (over sixties driver) and the problem went away. Since then when I feel the first 'slight' stutter, I Rev the engine and it never develops into the full 'jolt' that it would have done. It then goes for days / weeks without a jolt. Seems like I just have to clear it' s throat and it's fine!! Diesel pressure problem??

Anyone know anymore?

Post #269879 17th Jul 2015 7:25 pm
marky7170

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Hesitation stutter problem Freelander 2 2011

My car has had this intermittent problem from about 6 months old and was taken back on a lot of occasions to the Landrover Dealership with various remedies tried including a new EGR valve under warranty. None of the remedies worked for any length of time, in fact the problem occurred on the way home from picking up the car more than once. In the end I just gave up the hassle of travelling to Sheffield in two cars, leaving the Freelander and then having to have someone take me back again to pick up, again and again with no improvement especially once I was aware the car was not going to break down.
The car is now out of warranty and I am interested to find out if anyone has managed to find a permanent fix for this problem, I am not keen on taking the car to the dealership again especially now out of warranty if they are going to part swap with no guarantee of a fix and charge handsomely for the privilege.
I'm really disappointed with what was an expensive car and although I love the looks of the car feel the back up from the Landrover dealer has been shabby.
So any information about a successful fix and the cost of the solution would be really appreciated whether from an independent or an approved Landrover dealer .

Just to note the chassis number falls right in the 'Problem Band' details of which were posted in an earlier entry by Alex.

Post #271424 1st Aug 2015 8:23 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I feel for you, since I have had a very similar experience. The dealership had the car in for 3 days on one occation and told me the problem did not reproduce, only for it to happen as I pulled out of the dealership and then regularly on the way home, as per normal.

LR have issued a protocol for a dealership to carry out, which appears to involve checking various parameters and configurations are within spec and tolerance - the full details are not available, but some information should be able to be gathered from this thread, I don't know whether you have read all of it.

One member has reported that after the dealership followed the steps they are now problem free. I am not aware of any other member either having the work done, or not having success afterwards.

Mine is booked in for Tuesday to have the investigation done. It is now out of original warranty, but under extended warranty, however the problem was reported within the 3 year warranty, and I have no intention of paying a penny, since it appears to be a design fault, or at least a fault well outside of the owner's control.

My view would be the same should apply to you since it was reported within warranty and LR have failed to resolve the problem until the recent publication of the investigative steps.

However I would suggest that you contact Ryan from LR on this forum if you have not already done so and seek his opinion and help.

Post #271443 2nd Aug 2015 12:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 25 <123 ... 567 ... 232425>