Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Does FL 2 have variable speed steering? it's very sensitive!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Swanny

Cyprus 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Does FL 2 have variable speed steering? it's very sensitive!

Hi all,

Does the Freelander 2 (2013) have variable power steering? My power steering is great at very low speeds but as the speed builds it remains super sensitive. So much so driving on winding roads you have to really take care not to turn the steering wheel too quickly.

If the road is bumpy and my arms are shook from this therefore the wheel jerks it can really unsettle the car. I can't allow any bumps and arm movement to transmit to the wheel. Is this normal?

I thought maybe if it has variable speed steering it may not be working. Can this be possible?

Thanks.

Post #429040 21st Jan 2023 2:00 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

You could try doing a steering fluid and reservoir change.

Post #429041 21st Jan 2023 2:08 pm
Swanny

Yes that may be the start of it all......thanks.

Post #429042 21st Jan 2023 2:12 pm
Swanny

Sorry mean't to ask if you know if it has Variable Speed Power Steering?

Post #429043 21st Jan 2023 2:13 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Not seen anything about variable Power steering.

My Previous car a Honda CRV had it but it had an electric motor steering unit. At higher speeds it stiffened up somewhat.

"Oooh, oh missus"

"Titter ye not"

Post #429046 21st Jan 2023 2:43 pm
Swanny

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #429047 21st Jan 2023 2:47 pm
alex_pescaru

No such thing like "variable speed steering" on the FL2 case.
Though, that behavior is consistent with a toe out situation.
You may check the wheels alignment.
And the suspension bushes that can generate such things.

Post #429048 21st Jan 2023 2:53 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Worth having a 4 wheel alignment done to ensure correct suspension geometry. In addition to suspension bushes, ball joints and track rod ends need to be checked for excessive play too.
How are the tyres? All same make with similar wear, correct pressures etc?
I have never experienced the symptoms you describe so suspect something is not right. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #429049 21st Jan 2023 3:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Freelander has brilliant steering. It will be variable (an Australian invention) from the point of doing lock to lock, the steering turns more the further off centre. Also in the different driving modes it is different. So lots of different setting.

But the quality of steering is brilliant. Very strong side wind gusts across the Nullarbor for a 1000 km, you won't even know there is an issue unless you got out of the car. Same with corrugated roads.

I would suggest you have an issue with steering & or tyres. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #429052 21st Jan 2023 6:38 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Definitely have your tire wear inspected ASAP!

Post #429055 21st Jan 2023 8:28 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Swanny wrote:
Sorry mean't to ask if you know if it has Variable Speed Power Steering?

Sort of.
The TD4 uses a variable displacement power steering pump, which limits power steering pressure pump pressure as the engine speed increases. The idea being that at low engine speeds (assuming low engine speed = low road speed) power assistance is increased, and at higher engine speeds (higher road speeds), pump pressure is reduced maintaining steering weight.

If the steering is very light then what are the tyres are fitted, as tyre choice can have a massive effect on steering weight.

My steering is light and quick, which can be unnerving to some drivers.

It's also worth having the lower wishbone bushes checked, as soft bushes can alter the steering geometry, which can effect steering weight. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #429056 21st Jan 2023 8:41 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Lots of info about power steering in the FL2 bible - which I'm now reading

The diesel and petrol cars use different types of hydraulic pump. Jules

Post #429062 21st Jan 2023 10:10 pm
Swanny

Wow! thank you Peeps! (don't want to misgender anyone lol!)

If I really do have variable speed power steering then it's not working. As the speed increases the steering remains very light and sensitive. Overly so in my opinion though I've had it now two years so I've kind of adjusted to it somewhat but would much prefer it to be less so.

When I got the car the tyres were fairly new but began scrubbing on the edges very badly. They were Continental Winter tyres. I had a four wheel tracking done but as the tyres by this time had scrubbed badly it was difficult to see if this made a difference. It made zero difference to the feel of the steering though. I had the shocks changed to see if that would change anything and in the process of fitting it was found that one of the bushes had seized and the vertical movement of it was achieved by the twisting of the rubber in the bush if that makes sense? This was changed along with I think two other suspension bushes here and there, I can't remember which ones. Another four wheel tracking was done. None of this altered the feel of the steering at all.

In early December I had four Yokohama Geolander 15 (I think thats the model?) fitted which incidentally are super quiet for All terrain tyres!! They are only mild A/T Tyres but even so....very quiet and comfortable.This again has made no difference to the steering. I've tried different tyre pressures to no avail.

[u]So that leaves me with perhaps faulty variable steering though one comment here has said it does not have variable steering? Or perhaps a faulty steering rack ???

I live in Cyprus and I did call the Landrover Garage which is a Multi Brand garage and asked them if it had variable speed steering and he couldn't tell me.....ooer! So it would be nice to know categorically if it does....? It's a 2013 SD4 HSE if that makes any difference......?

As an aside, it was imported into Cyprus by a Cypriot chap in Nicosia in early 2020. I bought it in October 2020.....he said it was too expensive for him to run....I knew it had an oil leak and needed a wheel bearing and he said he'd had an issue with the gearbox shunting now and again but he'd had a software update to solve this. Two wheel bearings later and the engine out to fix three oil leaks including crankshaft bearing. At the same time the Aircon condensor was replaced as a bit rotten at the bottom...oh an eventually steering lock replaced as it just disabled the car! I wouldn't be surprised if it's been clocked at some point as it appears to be well used underneath....no impact damage showing but very rusty. It did originate from Perth Scotland though so that might answer that.

Weirdly the plastic silver grill on the front which I believe is bonded to the bumper has lost it's silver colour at the bottom...it's turned black.....but can't figure out why?? anyone have any ideas on that? it isn't flaking, just a smooth transition to black in places....weird. I was going to swap it out but as it's one unit with the bumper I thought better of it. Might get it wrapped......

[/u]

Post #429067 22nd Jan 2023 8:45 am
Swanny

Post #429068 22nd Jan 2023 8:45 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I think it was the silly bastard with greasy hands who put all the grills on. Mine has also gone a bit dodgy at the bottom. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #429073 22nd Jan 2023 10:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>