Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 39 of 127 <123 ... 383940 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Thanks to those who responded to my earlier post. I accept the points made about export markets/profit driving the design but I see that a some subsequent contributors made similar points to myself. I just think its a real shame that LR have abandoned FR2 owners like myself who expect the command driving position, practical load carrying and a relatively affordable price....... I have not yet driven or even sat in the new car but from reading other's experience I suspect I will have to move to a fairly old Disco 4 when the time comes....... Happy winter motoring everyone..... JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #250053 23rd Jan 2015 9:51 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

I very much liked the Scotia Grey colour on the DS I saw too, but did notice that the Bumpers and Body were slightly different shades of Scotia Grey!

Post #250054 23rd Jan 2015 9:59 pm
taztastic

England 

@JT, maybe LR will address the concerns and hope that exiting FL owners move up to the new Disco and 'new' customers come into the fold with the DS... Just a thought.

Dennis, with vehicle paint, the substrate alters the way the paint looks, not sure why but it's a common problem and one that all manufactures suffer from, maybe there is a way to prevent it but cost may be prohibitive?

Post #250071 23rd Jan 2015 11:28 pm
j77

Scotland 

5 seater available from September apparently. Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250088 24th Jan 2015 12:05 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
test drive at last

I had my DS test drives today at Petworth House (shame about their grassed areas; now mud!)

I drove both manual & auto versions, both seemed smooth, quiet & refined. Though I enjoyed the experience, I'm afraid it confirmed my impression that the DS in current forms is not what I had been eagerly waiting for! Even the LR guy (not sales) said it was more car like; yeah more Evoke car-like.

Though it always takes a while to adjust to new kit:-
I don't like Auto shift being a big knob, what was wrong with the previous auto gear shift?
Rear visibility is poor with wide rear pillars and a small rear window aperture.
Terrain Response knob was simpler to operate than finding a tiny button on dash
Not sold on EHB.
Amazed to find default stop/start on auto version, which then has to be turned off
Driving position just about ok on highest setting (only possible because I'm short)
No idea how ppl climb into & out of 3rd row seats without risking injury
Seemed dark in cabin, even with moon-roof; better in the one trim that has light colour leather and of course that's in HSE Lux model only!
Now the story about Ingenuim engines in DS is confused and not encouraging. Sad

I like others do NOT see the DS as a natural FL2 replacement. I feel abandoned by LR right now. Shame that, I was all ready to buy new LR this year; not now. I will now request my substantial holding deposit back from the dealer, hang on to my dear old FL2 and hope LR produce something more appropriate in years to come. Or I shall very reluctantly switch manufacturers! Rolling Eyes Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #250091 24th Jan 2015 12:27 am
j77

Scotland 

I'm going for cirrus its a light colour, so is almond, available through out the range. Only Ivory is HSE lux only.

Fl2 hasn't had the TR knob for a couple of years, also the EPB has been on the Fl2 for the same time. Don't think that should count against the DS. My D4 has the rotary gear select, can't say I've missed not having the traditional gear selector, you get used to it. Auto stop/start been on the big discos, range rovers and Evoques (I think) for a year or so, it's a pain but lowers the road tax and to me that's worth it.

The Driving postion is supposed to be low, they called it a "Sport" that's the biggest mistake they made. Sport to me is a badge you buy from Halfords and stick on a clapped-out old Clio to try and give it some street cred.

When I had my test drive all Freelanders in the showroom had vanished, LR were very coy, not letting the cars be seen together, it was like the Freelander had never existed. When I asked the JLR guy that'was there, if this was a true replacement to the Freelander, he just said "this is our all new premium compact SUV"

You either love it or hate it, though I've ordered one, it's not the type of car I would've designed to replace the Freelander with. Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250093 24th Jan 2015 1:07 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Yes Taz, there are very many challenges in making a car and matching paint on differing substrates is certainly one of them.

Yet LR is shouting 'Premium' from every rooftop, and charging very 'Premium' prices in it's shiny new 'Premium' showrooms. The DS I viewed was near £45k.

Perhaps 'Premium' Customers will expect that LR will also move all aspects of their Quality Control processes to a 'Premium' level? Or does 'Premium' image matter more these days?

Sorry, don't mean to be picky, but I have had quality niggles I've ignored or fixed myself with my 2 Freelanders that would be unacceptable to me on a ‘Premium Priced’ vehicle like the new Discovery Sport.

Post #250101 24th Jan 2015 9:22 am
j77

Scotland 

On the car I test drove, the build quality felt far superior to that of the Fl2, Evoque etc but only time will. It's when LR try and rush the car during the QC process to meet demand is when problems start. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250102 24th Jan 2015 9:51 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Strange that they have gone for the rotary gear shift as the new RRS has just gone back to the traditional stick! (I was told that this was because of complaints)

Post #250106 24th Jan 2015 10:32 am
taztastic

England 

The RRS is more of a vertical stick than a traditional gear lever, I beleive. It is strange though and certainly pandering to the school run brigade.
I was told and demonstrated the fact that the rotary knob on a 4x4 isn't the best idea, take a failed hill climb, you need to get into reverse asap and let the car have some control going back, with a lever it's relatively easy, with the knob it's hit and miss, we tried many times and even on a known slope with safety in mind, hitting N or P had some interesting, and scary results.

Paint

interesting read here, you are not going to get a match no matter how much you pay on a mainstream car

driving position
LR have done their homework, the Evoque was hailed as, and is, a success, the driving position will be much more to new customers liking than existing owners, that is the market LR want. I test drove Evoques and liked the driving portion, it wouldn't bother me, although admittedly, I havnt tried the DS as yet. LR havnt abandoned the existing owners, the number on here shouting that it isn't a replacement you can count on your digits, hardly a huge sales flop, give it 12 months and the numbers on the road will be the proof that the 'car' is a success.

I beleive my dealer has a car in the flesh now, I must get round to seeing it soon.

Post #250111 24th Jan 2015 10:53 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

OK, perhaps then dealers could boast ... “this is our new mainstream compact SUV” Smile Smile

But my main point is (with a nod to Mrs Thatcher) that if you have to continually push the premium description, perhaps it 'aint? The next few months will show whether "Premium" is deserved and quality control matches the aspiration?

I sincerely hope that it is a winner for JLR and the country. I think it will be. But please LR just let us less aspirational buyers have an inkling of what else is in the pipeline so we don't feel excluded?

Post #250118 24th Jan 2015 11:50 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

taztastic wrote:
Paint

interesting read here, you are not going to get a match no matter how much you pay on a mainstream car
'Temperature, ........ and humidity will all cause the colour to shift lighter or darker.'

I have used a pile of aerosol touch up paints over the decades. If I used the same can on different days or even morning to afternoon, or even an hour latter, and if the temperature OR humidity was a little different, this alone affects the paint finish. It is a real nightmare trying to match colours and paint finishes. Also making sure the paint in the can is the same temperature helps. Or better still if the following day was a bit warmer or dryer. Cooling the paint a bit helps. If it is a really hot day I just avoided painting altogether if possible. Same for cold days. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #250126 24th Jan 2015 1:31 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

This debate about Disco sport vs Freelander 2 is very reminiscent of the situation in 1981/2 when Ford bought out the Sierra to replace the Cortina. Sales of Cortinas went up as soon as the new car was launched since there were so many complaints about the look of the new "Jelly Mould" shape. Even the sales guys were pushing Cortinas to avoid losing a sale.
In reality Ford had to go for the more aerodynamic shape to improve mpg figures and the other manufacturers were actually waiting for market leader Ford to make the first move before they followed with a similar design.
In which case get used to the Evoque, you know it makes sense .... Laughing

Post #250130 24th Jan 2015 1:59 pm
Nidge N

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

taztastic wrote:
@JT, maybe LR will address the concerns and hope that exiting FL owners move up to the new Disco and 'new' customers come into the fold with the DS... Just a thought.

Dennis, with vehicle paint, the substrate alters the way the paint looks, not sure why but it's a common problem and one that all manufactures suffer from, maybe there is a way to prevent it but cost may be prohibitive?

Or go for the new defender Exclamation

Post #250139 24th Jan 2015 4:22 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Its just not for me...Very small roof line and my FL1 has a better command view without any Censored about raising the seats! Command driving view is taken into consideration when the seats are at the lowest height setting! For an HSE Lux the ebony seats just looked very cheap and the car did not look to be worth the 40k + price tag!

I can see many FL2 owners not moving into a DS as its just too car like. Agree that new designs sometimes take a while to grow on people had they given it a raised roof line and a better command view than the FL2 then more of us would want one.

The side steps were very flimsy when stood on and I'm a lean machine!

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Last edited by LR NUT on 25th Jan 2015 11:28 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #250153 24th Jan 2015 5:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 39 of 127 <123 ... 383940 ... 125126127>