« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 126 of 127 <123 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

IanMetro wrote:
I am sorry to see that the Discovery Sport has joined the no button crowd.

I would find this hard to cope with as (due to advanced years) my eyes are becoming less able to refocus from outside (long range) to inside (short range) without changing my glasses.

I am sure that 'computer' screens with never ending menus are NOT suitable for car driving.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...ouchscreen

You can't beat a knob!

Post #433545 23rd Jun 2023 6:50 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have been contemplating for over a year or so as I am looking to buy a DS to replace my trusty 14 reg FL2 with 74k miles. I am currently looking at a Disco Sport Petrol P250 69 plate with 25k miles at a main dealer so approved used. I have decided to ignore any diesels due to the DPF issues and also any PHEV or MHEV variants due to extra complexity. Am I making a good choice here or any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Yes I know, a lot of you will say keep the FL2 but I have never owned a car this old before and ULEZ is causing me a problem 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #436394 18th Oct 2023 10:36 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I think Chicken George drives or did drive one. Not sure if he still looks in but might pick up a private message. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #436403 18th Oct 2023 3:39 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I have been contemplating for over a year or so as I am looking to buy a DS to replace my trusty 14 reg FL2 with 74k miles. I am currently looking at a Disco Sport Petrol P250 69 plate with 25k miles at a main dealer so approved used. I have decided to ignore any diesels due to the DPF issues and also any PHEV or MHEV variants due to extra complexity. Am I making a good choice here or any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Yes I know, a lot of you will say keep the FL2 but I have never owned a car this old before and ULEZ is causing me a problem

I can remember answering a similar post of yours a couple of years ago.

Like you I was beginning to think I ought to move on to a newer model, but here we are still FL2 owners.

I took a hint from you then and insured(?) against anything expensive happening by way of a Full Extended Warranty (including Roadside Recovery)

I am now in my Metros 10th year and I feel that it is time to change before this (last warranty) year is up. However because my Ext Warranty pre dates my cars anniversary I may be able to squeeze another years cover on the old girl.

I still would like to find a suitable EV or PHEV and have currently Auto Trader searches running on White DS PHEVs, XC60 PHEVS, RRS PHEVs, and I-Pace EV.
My next step should have been to test drive these cars, and see how well they fit myself and my wife, but somehow we are reluctant to move on from our comfy FL2.
My Metro was successfully bought unseen, over the internet, from a main LR dealer some 200+ miles away.

I was, and I still am, quite eager to move on to the next-generation (electrified) cars, I have had a 32amp Car Charger installed since 2014 when I was attracted by the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but went on to buy my present FL2 Metro in 2017.

Before that I nearly had a Peugeot Hybrid4 (I have the Test Drive Mug to prove it), but went on to buy my first FL2 XS in 2012.

I fear that I am heading, like an old Viking in his ship, towards having to be buried in my FL2.

I also am beginning to wonder if you, Dorset, will ever be prised away from yours.

PS I am homing in on white DS HSE PHEVs at the moment, with 2-3 years old or with a Dealer Warranty, as they seem to be very well equipped and have a reasonably high driving position. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #436405 18th Oct 2023 7:40 pm
GSKM

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

I had a 15my Fl2 SE Tech for just shy of two years, replacing it at just over three years old with a DS180 manual HSE. The FL2 had nearly 40k on the clock when I sold it and in that time had needed a front parking sensor replacing as it continually beeped and the valve that switched between outside air or recirculating air co ing into the car. The valve would flutter at speed and make funny noises. I think I got about 38mpg out of the FL2 on my 20 mile each way manly motorway commute.

The DS was comfortable and felt more refined. It was also quieter, I think they did a load of improvements for the 18my. I was getting about 43mpg on the same commute as I did in the other car. I did notice the mpg getting better as the miles clocked up.

Faults wise I had the rear disks replaced under warranty as they were grinding under braking and going rusty quickly. I have also seen other makes with rear discs rusting up, so it’s not just Land Rover. I also replaced them again after the warranty ran out.

I had the heater fan replaced twice. They had a tendency to stop working and after reading on the DS forum they say to rotate the fan with a stick, that’ll take it off the sticking point and it should work again. Well that worked most of the time, I think I did it two or three times. The last time when I did it the fan didn’t start up when I turned the ignition on, so I poked it again when it sprang into life and ate the stick I had prodded it with. It also spat out all its blades. Lesson learnt, if poking the fan with a stick, ensure ignition is off each time you go near it. By the look of it the car is built around the interior fan, so I wasn’t going to do that as it involved taking the dash board out and the knee airbag. Still when the task was completed the garage had stopped the creaking that had appeared after the windscreen had been replaced after a stone cracked it. The second time the garage service the car and said he fan has lost a blade, so that was replaced under warranty as the fan was less than a year old.

The service required countdown would show oil service due at around the 12k mark, so I had the oil changed each time. I had a service pack and whilst that was valid they did the interim oil service FOC. I paid once out of service pack life.

Other faults I encountered, the harmonic balancer fell off the exhaust pipe, so that was replaced. The rear camera didn’t work each time I put it in reverse and the reverse sensors seemed very slow to react compared to the FL2. They’d beep and I’d be closer to something than I’d like.

I had no problems with the DPF system. My commute was 20 miles each way mainly on motorway, so when a clean was required it would be completed by the time my journey was over. I knew when it started as I sensed a thud. I always drove with the journey info showing which showed mpg. I would see the mpg start to climb again when the burn had completed.

I sold the DS last month at just over 6 years old with just shy of 90k miles on the clock. I now have a 71 plate XC 60 which seems a step up again from the DS. Any comments or questions just let me know as I still loiter on the site.

If anybody want some winter wheels for their FL 2 let me know, I have some for sale. I need the garage space.

Post #436410 19th Oct 2023 7:50 am
dorsetfreelander

Well I finally bit the bullet and have bought a petrol DS P250 MHEV 69 plate with 25k miles from a main dealer. Gave me £500 off if I took some financealso threw in rubber mats and 2 LR mugs, plus a free service, which will see me through for the next 2 years plus LR extended warranty They gave us the keys and said just take it for a drive (unaccompanied) for as long as you like. Certainly very plush inside and a very smooth drive. Scary amount of tech inside to personalise the dashboard etc. Hope to pick it up next week. I will be very sorry to hand over the current FL2 which I have had for 6 years. I intend to keep an eye on this forum though as I'm sure that others will be making the same journey.

Incidentally the dealer gave me an extra £500 off if I took out some finance. In this case it was a 12 month loan of £5k at £444.70/month which comes to a total of £5336. How does that cost in? I accepted but will pay it off straight away. All the above being financed from my kids' inheritances btw. Very Happy Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #436476 21st Oct 2023 10:44 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Hope it serves you well, naturally photos required upon collection! Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #436484 21st Oct 2023 12:57 pm
dorsetfreelander

Well here she is. Its a 2 litre petrol engine P250 MHEV 69 plate with 27k miles. Petrol so no DPF to worry about. So far it's very nice indeed and very plush inside. You can see that JLR is trying to push upmarket and it's a big step up from my XS SD4 FL2 which I thought was great anyway. Loads of features that I haven't got to grips with yet and the engine is very smooth and hardly audible. 9 speed auto so you hardly notice the gear changes. On a long steady run up the M3 for about 100 miles it registered just over 40mpg and I have just discovered that there is an eco mode. There is a P button on the gearstick and you just press it and it puts it in park and applies the handbrake, there is a hadbrake switch hidden away but you just don't need it. I intend to drop by here occasionally as you guys do interesting stuff and the DS forums are not nearly so technical.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #436907 9th Nov 2023 10:38 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

That looks very nice Cool . 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #436912 10th Nov 2023 8:38 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Looks lovely and the best colour too.
A set of black wheels would suit it very well.
Health to drive! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #436915 10th Nov 2023 10:25 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I really like your choice of interior, it looks lovely.
Sorry to see you go, pop back to give us an update in a couple of thousand miles time.
Enjoy your new drive. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #436916 10th Nov 2023 10:39 am
dorsetfreelander

OK so after 3 months and a couple of thousand miles I thought it worth reporting back on what I have learned so far about DS ownership as no doubt some FL2 owners will be making the same journey eventually. First of all I decided to go for the petrol ingenium version which hardly get mentioned in the forums compared with the oil dilution DPF issues on Diesels. Also a neighbour has a 68 plate petrol DS with 65k miles and no issues. The following are a set of notes.

1. The main Disco Sport problems reported seem to be with diesel DPF regeneration and timing chain issues which seem to occur mostly in the earlier models. The DPF problems result in oil dilution and this can cause wear on the balance shafts in early models as well as timing chain and tensioner wear. Some users of earlier models are getting messages to change the oil every 4/5k miles.

2. There was a problem with early engines with the timing chain tensioners which have been modified on later models.

3. Petrol engines were introduced in 2018 together with some mods to the diesels at the same time but I don’t know the details.

4. The MY20 saw a facelift to the DS but it was such a major change that it is affectively a different car. JLR changed the floorpan to enable it to support batteries for hybrids and in doing so hoped to sort out the DPF issues on diesels. I believe that they also changed the drive train and the electrical system.

5. The DPF problems stem from the pre MY20 cars using the Freelander chassis/floorpan. It was not possible to get the ingenium engine in and to place the DPF near to the engine where it would receive hot exhaust gases. They had to put it in a different position where the gases were cooler hence the need for lots of regens and adblue.

6. On MY20 onwards autos there is now a more conventional auto gear stick rather than the earlier knob that rises up when the engine starts.

7. Oil changes are 21,000 miles/2 years although conventional wisdom is to do it once a year regardless even on the petrol version and if you have DPF issues then a lot more than that.

8. I haven’t found anything about the drive train but it’s different to the FL2 and no one mentions Haldex or hydraulic steering fluid as it’s got electric steering.

9. My MY20 DS is a MHEV or mild hybrid. It works by replacing the conventional alternator with some sort of motor/alternator which charges up a 48v battery under the front passenger seat. This in turn charges the conventional 12v battery which I guess runs the lights and the usual stuff. I understand that there is a 12v starter motor but it is only used when the engine is cold, this also enables the car to start if the 48v system fails for some reason. When the engine is going it does stop/start via the belt on the motor/alternator.

10. When the engine starts it runs at 1500rpm for about 20 seconds then dies down to normal tickover and I assume that it’s charging the 48v system. Driving it feels like any other car but when pulling away the motor/alternator helps the engine using energy harvested from when you last slowed down or braked. I believe that it provides an extra 20hp. You can feel that the braking is different when it is doing this in normal traffic or going down a hill and it seems to have an effect on brake wear as at 27k miles there is hardly any sign of a lip on the discs (I haven’t had the wheels off yet to look at the pads)

11. Overall it is a joy to drive, its extremely quiet and smooth and no diesel engine clatter. The 9 speed auto is totally smooth and you don’t feel the gear changes. I thought that my FL2 XS auto was good but this is a definite step up in terms of interior and comfort, more like a Range Rover.

12. One final point, we need a Freel2.com equivalent for Disco Sports, either these cars don't break down as often or the owners are not very practical but I don't see requests or discussions about doing wheel bearings and stuff. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #438739 24th Jan 2024 11:46 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Nice review.

The earlier (up to 2020) cars were Haldex, versions 4 & 5 unless you bought a 240bhp diesel, these have a GKN system, as the 500Nm of torque is too much for the Haldex. Think no rear differential, but clutch packs on the drive shafts to give the same effect.

Yes the DPFs on the earlier Ingenium engined cars give / gave grief, again the later cars or the engine out of the Freelander are better, as is the D240. Have found out the hard way that the exhaust sensors are prone to damage, this then scuppers the DPF.

Mine needed balance shaft bearings at 6,000 miles - there were 2 /3 updates which seem to have cured the fault.
Similar with the timing chain fiasco, looks like the plastic tensioners / guides fail grenading the engine, couple of updates later and it seems sorted, but if you are out of warranty LR (or the dealerships) are seeing owners as cash cows.

Earlier power steering had aluminium bolts holding the electric power steering motor in place, when they let go steering gets very heavy very suddenly - reminiscent of the early days with the Freelander, where weld spatter destroyed many a steering rack. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #438740 24th Jan 2024 1:50 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Great review, good to hear your getting on with your DS. 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #438741 24th Jan 2024 1:55 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I would guess most people now days who spend the amount of money that a ds costs don’t get their hands dirty on old motors. A lot of people nowadays have absolutely no interest in laying underneath a motor at the weekend, a lot don’t even own one and just rent one when they need one. Different world now.

Post #438751 24th Jan 2024 4:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 126 of 127 <123 ... 125126127>