Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 34 of 127 <123 ... 333435 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

taztastic wrote:
j77 wrote:
... now looking forward to it coming in March, I was told it will go in to build 13th which is a Friday Shocked

Might be the date of the forum meet at Halewood, do you fancy coming down, might see it early Thumbs Up

Possibly, depending on work Thumbs Up

I would like to see at which point in the build process the spider gets put in to the drivers mirror Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #245842 21st Dec 2014 5:45 pm
taztastic

England 

I want to get a freel2 sticker on the demo car this time Whistle

Post #245847 21st Dec 2014 5:53 pm
edamball

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

just been on test drive of the DS HSE Auto while my FL2 59 reg was serviced. Feels very planted with next to no body roll. The cabin is a far more refined place with touches like ambient lighting and quality feeling switch gear. The lower seating position, 9-speed auto gearbox and improved noise insulation make this a terrific place to be. Rear leg room is improved as is boot space (when in 5-seat mode!). Wasn't all that tempted before, but am now...

Post #245937 22nd Dec 2014 7:57 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

http://www.cityam.com/206144/car-review-ne...er-driving

.. ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #245994 23rd Dec 2014 12:06 pm
Nidge N

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

It's £43k wow! Clearly I am no longer the type of person Land Rover wish to attract. I like my freelander and I love my defender. I like utilitarian. I like cars with a sense of purpose. I don't want lower ride and I don't want a mummy seven seater. I mean no offence to those who like and or have ordered the disco sport. I am merely enquiring if Land Rover will eventually consider the needs of the traditional Land Rover owner. Expand the range, Attract new buyers, I get that Like the Defender, however, our time is nearly at an end.

Post #246179 24th Dec 2014 10:04 pm
j77

Scotland 

Yeh but you don't need to spend £43k to get one. Thumbs Up

The Disco Sport looks fancy but I wouldn't be afraid to use it as the good Lord intended. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #246183 24th Dec 2014 10:36 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Nidge N wrote:
It's £43k wow! Clearly I am no longer the type of person Land Rover wish to attract. I like my freelander and I love my defender. I like utilitarian. I like cars with a sense of purpose. I don't want lower ride and I don't want a mummy seven seater. I mean no offence to those who like and or have ordered the disco sport. I am merely enquiring if Land Rover will eventually consider the needs of the traditional Land Rover owner. Expand the range, Attract new buyers, I get that Like the Defender, however, our time is nearly at an end.

"Mummy seven seater" 'need' all the bells & whistles which make the car highly profitable.

"Traditional Land Rover owner" 'don't need' all the bells & whistles which make the car less profitable.

The Land/Range Rovers in the family fit this scenario. One of the cars could not have had much more on it because it was 'vital equipment' to get the kids to school!

The other would have been the cheapest (plus auto) model but petrol only comes in an SE down under. I didn't 'need' all the extras for the driving difficulties in shopping centre car parks. Only for the less challenging outback! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #246185 24th Dec 2014 11:16 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I think JLR have got it exactly right. The DS looks cooler, has more seats and will out perform the competition. I think the slightly higher price tag will make it more desirable for a lot of people who like to out do the Jones's. Couple that with brand loyalty and I think it is a recipe for success.

Post #246188 25th Dec 2014 12:08 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I don't believe the people buying the newer LR's have any brand loyalty. They are the general fashion hunters. BMW, then Audi, now onto LR, and will move to whatever is popular next. Loyal customers have either already moved away due to the change in LR's look/focus, or been priced out.
As has been said, they will sell shed loads, make lots of money and that's good for those building them here. For me, unles things change, LR are a thing of the past. Never been a fashion hunter, or want to be!

Post #246195 25th Dec 2014 9:58 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Around my area Mrs Jones would have hubby pay for any car, I don't know what he gets out of the deal other than his PA! The car must have looks well ahead of the trend & more useless functions than what one knows what to do with!

A LR machined from a solid block of Unobtainium would have numerous social pluses! A new DS Extra Luxury Plus with $10k optional kids sound proof screen with opaque switching glass for the back half of the car, would be very affordable.

The other day walking to the shops, it is not worth driving 1km for some of us! 6 RR (one new RRSport in colour Chile, actually it looked very good), 3 D4, 1 Defender, 0 Freelanders. Although, another day I did see 3 Freelanders..... what a relief! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #246215 25th Dec 2014 12:33 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Punched out by Beamer!

Well, one of the UK's biggest Car mags has just published a comparison test of the DS against three competitors. (Beamer, Volvo and Lexus).
One has to question the whole premise of the test as they start out by stating that what they are looking for in an SUV is "...comfort, refinement, a healthy equipment roster..." Oh dear, can't be much of a review if that's what they are after.
But point here is that the DS is almost identical in shape, style, content, bling and toys to all the competitors. There is nothing about it to make it look and feel, different., special, a real Landrover. That's because it isn't a proper Landrover its a Sport thing whatever that is.
As a brand new car the DS should have stood head and shoulders above the others but sadly it falls a poor second to the Beamer. Bizzarely the Mag says that the Beamer has "staggering all round ability" - well that is clearly all round ability on smooth perfect dry tarmac!, but leaving that aside, this test demonstrates why the DS is not good enough (to me) - it has almost no Landrover brand identity and has nothing to fall back on when it is so indistinguishable in a tough market of look alikes.

Post #246246 25th Dec 2014 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
j77

Scotland 

wizking wrote:
I don't believe the people buying the newer LR's have any brand loyalty. They are the general fashion hunters. BMW, then Audi, now onto LR, and will move to whatever is popular next. Loyal customers have either already moved away due to the change in LR's look/focus, or been priced out.
As has been said, they will sell shed loads, make lots of money and that's good for those building them here. For me, unles things change, LR are a thing of the past. Never been a fashion hunter, or want to be!

7th LR I would say that's brand loyalty, and I certainly won't be moving to anything other than LR for number 8. It's not what it looks like it's how it's used and the DS can still do what LRs do best.

I suppose the price hike between the Fl1 and 2 was acceptable? There would've been Fl1 owners priced out the market. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #246254 25th Dec 2014 8:38 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I think the FL1 to a FL2 was a bigger price jump and it had a healthy selection of models.....3/5 door variants and 1.8 Rolling with laughter to the TD4 engine options

IIRC a MY06 FL2 S Model was cheaper than a FL1 MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #246256 25th Dec 2014 8:58 pm
j77

Scotland 

I think the Fl2 TD4 S was about £22k. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #246263 25th Dec 2014 9:41 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I believe that for the vast majority of existing FL2 owners and for the vast majority of potential new DS owners that the nearest that they will get to off road driving is parking on the kerb or possibly in a field at the Game Fair.

LR will sell shed loads, I guess, but they will be in direct competition with BMW and Audi for the poser market and it is just possible that the car could be perceived as a poor man's RRS. Whatever the outcome it's regrettably outwith my current affordability. Big Cry MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #246278 26th Dec 2014 10:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 34 of 127 <123 ... 333435 ... 125126127>