« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 23 of 127 <123 ... 222324 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Ok Mav71

Ok,Mav 71 …. you make some very good points on previous page. I can certainly see that if you work for LR it must be galling and annoying to read so many posts appearing to moan about LR. As you say, once the entire Discovery range is announced and available it is likely to prove very attractive to many former LR owners and many new ones too.

However, you are speaking from an informed position compared to most of us (also one of your points). This product launch has been somewhat underwhelming so far for many of us, and the initial offerings just not meeting our expectation, needs or funding. The picture of the LR future painted by you is helpful and much more optimistic; so thanks.

I certainly agree with you that since Tata acquired LR, there has been a massive shift in terms of investing for the future in R&D and plant & machinery, new factories etc. This puts LR on a long-term trajectory that is way better than anything Ford could manage or dream of.

Pls do keep us all informed about LR products as far as you are able to. Thx. Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #243840 6th Dec 2014 8:26 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

In the days when I had company cars I would often go for new model as soon as they came out since I wasn't paying and didn't have to worry about servicing or warranty issues. What I often found was that although the cars had been tested on all sorts of roads and raced around test tracks for days on end etc it was never quite the same as real life It's a bit like Formula 1 where no matter how many fast laps they do in testing it's never the same as race conditions (which is where the failures occur).

I could give lots of examples but one that came to mind was the early Ford Sierras were unstable on motorways in a cross wind especially if you went past a lorry at speed and it was quite unnerving. The fix was based on having a couple of air deflectors moulded into the rear doors around the windows and tyre pressures set to specific values. Presumably they had only been tested on a test track or a wind tunnel. Then my kids would get in and discover that various things didn't work or fall off etc. I have had new cars that conk out on hot days when coming off a motorway in the UK even though they claim to have been tested in Death Valley at 50C.

So for me, now spending my own money, I will let others try the new Disco and follow the story with interest. Very Happy

Post #243844 6th Dec 2014 9:24 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Ok Mav71

Nick Jan wrote:
Ok,Mav 71 …. you make some very good points on previous page. I can certainly see that if you work for LR it must be galling and annoying to read so many posts appearing to moan about LR. As you say, once the entire Discovery range is announced and available it is likely to prove very attractive to many former LR owners and many new ones too.

However, you are speaking from an informed position compared to most of us (also one of your points). This product launch has been somewhat underwhelming so far for many of us, and the initial offerings just not meeting our expectation, needs or funding. The picture of the LR future painted by you is helpful and much more optimistic; so thanks.

I certainly agree with you that since Tata acquired LR, there has been a massive shift in terms of investing for the future in R&D and plant & machinery, new factories etc. This puts LR on a long-term trajectory that is way better than anything Ford could manage or dream of.

Pls do keep us all informed about LR products as far as you are able to. Thx.

You are a gentleman sir! For the record though, I don't work for Land Rover, but have an informed opinion on things.

My annoyance is people not giving the car a chance. I remember when the Freelnder 2 was launched and the same thing happened. Didn't like the styling, too expensive, and LR making a product out many peoples reach.

Here we are, 8 years later and a lot of those same people now drive Freelander 2's and are now bitching about Discovery Sport.

I do wonder if there would be as many complaints if the car was called Freelander 3! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #243852 6th Dec 2014 10:24 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Or the 7 seater Evoque!

Post #243857 6th Dec 2014 10:44 pm
j77

Scotland 

The DS is built in the Evoque chassis which in itself is a modified Fl2 chassis, it use the same electrics found on other LR models, it has the same engine as the Fl2 which you don't here of many major problems. Build quality on the pre production cars felt solid, the only problem I can foresee is with the 9 speed auto a few Evoque owners have been having troubles with it.

Any problems that the DS may face won't be because it's a new model, it will be down to LRs poor quality control at the factory, that's what happened with the Evoque cars arrived from the factory with bits not fitted correctly, cracks in the pano roofs things that should've been picked up during quality control checks.

But hey I'm happy to be your guinea pig Laughing Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #243881 7th Dec 2014 12:35 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The 9-Speed auto that has been problematic in the Evoque has now been revised, and a new version will be fitted to DS and Evoque. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #243885 7th Dec 2014 1:18 am
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Is it not time now for a separate DS forum and let us Freelander 2 owners get on with discussing our motors and let prospective and eventual DS owners have their own space? Not a moan just a practical suggestion...... Whistle * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #243897 7th Dec 2014 10:16 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Hmm... a separate Discovery Sport forum. You could call it discosport.com. If only somebody would think of that? Oh, hang on...

It's gone very quiet on that front, any mods know anything??? Now:
17MY Discovery D5 2.0 HSE (Carpathian):

Gone::
(04/17): 16.5MY Discovery Sport HSE (Waitomo)
(08/16): 16MY Discovery Sport HSE Lux Auto (Corris Grey + Black pack)
(11/15): 15MY Freelander 2 Metropolis SD4 (Loire blue)

Post #243900 7th Dec 2014 10:22 am
ad210358

England 

Old news Whistle

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post233195.html#233195

Post #243912 7th Dec 2014 12:06 pm
marklad2020

Switzerland 

I thought about waiting for the new engine, but the engine is low on the list of things that differentiate the car. I've ordered one because the packaging is perfect for me (unlike the competition), and because I love the styling and the brand.

Having come from a FL2 TD4, to a Grand Cherokee with a V6 and now to a DS my view on engines is that obviously I will miss the V6 which offers power and smoothness on a different level, but not as much as I miss the special Land Rover feeling, and in my FL2 days I never found myself thinking "this engine is really bad".

The old engine, coupled with better suppression of road noise, and the ZF Auto (I have the 8 speed version in the Jeep) is going to provide a plenty good enough experience.

The problem with motoring hacks is that their list of what is important is never the same as the reader's. Maybe the X3 is better to drive and has a better engine, but if you are not regularly hustling the car across B roads when who cares?

Post #243922 7th Dec 2014 12:57 pm
taztastic

England 

Natwest wrote:
any mods know anything???

Censored Laughing

Post #243924 7th Dec 2014 1:02 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

My stealers get the actual real vehicle this Thurdays all 3 sports just available for one day Laughing

The virtual tour was utter pi*h

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #244059 8th Dec 2014 11:51 am
j77

Scotland 

Yeh, I done the tour, not the best experience. The customers supposed to be able to veiw their own Disco Sport spec. I get my test drive next Wednesday. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #244073 8th Dec 2014 2:32 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I took a look this morning and it is technology at a point in its evolution, looks interesting.

Post #244077 8th Dec 2014 2:42 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Wow, it's got 7 USB ports! Where do I sign, I will have a Disco Sport.

Is that what differentiates LandRover now then? I remember a salesman once showing me a Chrysler Voyager and saying it had 13 cupholders, I asked him if that was the only selling point.

Post #244081 8th Dec 2014 3:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 23 of 127 <123 ... 222324 ... 125126127>