Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Your snow driving wisdom.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Ooma

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Your snow driving wisdom.

So looks like we have some snow on the way at last. My winter boots have been waiting.

What pearls of wisdom can you share that will help me not look a fool driving in the snow... spinning and sliding in an Audi was expected, but spinning and sliding in your land rover would be more embarrassing Wink

I was looking at this video: http://www.land-rover-blog.co.uk/how-to-dr...-snow-ice/

With an auto box, would you leave it to the auto box or knock it across to manual gear selection?

What gear do you pull away in, even if Snow mode is selected?

Slowing down is my biggest worry. Four wheel drive is one thing, but we all have four wheel brake, except I have to slow down a bigger unit. So braking/using gear suggestions for an auto would be great thanks.

Any other tips welcome!

I don't want to be that 'all the gear and no idea' bloke !

Cheers,
Mike '08 Freelander 2 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Premium, Climate and Clear View packs.

Post #166777 10th Jan 2013 2:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

switch to grass gravel snow it will lessen the power application to help prevent wheel spin, slowly apply power, if you find your spinning then slowly increase the revs to about 2000rpm this will help lock it up and engage full 4x4

stopping just a gentle application of the brake, and allow time, laws of physics still apply even with 4x4, you could also pop it into command shift to use the engine to break also

just because you have a 4x4 and winter tyres doesn't having it invincible, slow and steady always wins Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #166778 10th Jan 2013 2:42 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Probably sounds a bit lame, but I went to a empty car park and green lane and learnt what the car could do. It is normal to ease of the throttle when you hear the wheels spinning, but with our traction control system, and as nick says, you actually need more revs to kick it in to motion. GGS is a great tool, as is the stability control, but in certain circumstances the DSC needs switching off as it over compensates and leaves you almost at a stand. Obviously with winter tyres you will have more traction and better braking capabilities, but remember, the car behind may not.
Most importantly, take it easy, think ahead, keep at least 3 times the distance from the car in front as you would normally and keep an eye on the traffic coming the other way, you will be surprised how many are sliding sideways towards you!!

Post #166781 10th Jan 2013 2:58 pm
JammyDodger

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Snow is great, it's ice that scares the crap out of me...

Hope my Scorpion Zero M&S are okay on the white stuff, opted not to go with full winter boots in the end due to the low annual mileage we cover. 11 SD4 HSE Stornoway Grey / Black Windsor Leather

Post #166782 10th Jan 2013 3:00 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

If in doubt, put HDC on - it's no use putting it on when you've started to slide.

It's brilliant up as well as downhill and you can still use the throttle if you're confident in going a bit faster than the default. Be aware it makes a lot of clanking/grinding noises when working - it's not a fault. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #166785 10th Jan 2013 3:04 pm
David21c

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

On the Land Rover experience day we went on, we did almost all of it in mud and ruts setting, which applies HDC automatically - is there any down side to using this setting as normal in snow driving?

Post #166791 10th Jan 2013 3:35 pm
EYorkshire

As mentioned by 'wizking' the DSC is an important switch.

I was in a carpark (playing Very Happy ) last year with deep snow up against the front wheels and every time I tried to take away the engine revs died leaving me confused, apparently DSC needs switching off in this circumstance but switch it back on again when clear of the deep stuff.

I leave it in 'Auto' for normal snow road driving but use 'Command Shift' for engine braking if going down a hill that's a bit iffy.

Terrain Response is quite intricate in it's settings, have a read of this from Alex's gallery.
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...zation.pdf

Post #166793 10th Jan 2013 3:42 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

David21c wrote:
On the Land Rover experience day we went on, we did almost all of it in mud and ruts setting, which applies HDC automatically - is there any down side to using this setting as normal in snow driving?

Grass Gravel Snow is better than Mud & Ruts as it delivers the power more progressively when you press the accelerator,, it also sets the car up to reduce wheel spin. In Mud & Ruts accelerator response is sharper and the car is set up to allow some wheel spin.

Best option is to select Grass, Gravel, Snow and manually engage HDC.

There is no need to increase the revs to as much as 2000 rpm. The systems will kick in as soon as they detect even a modest increase in revs once the wheels start to spin, sometimes the sysyems will engage with only a 100 rpm increase.

Post #166802 10th Jan 2013 4:31 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

David21c wrote:
mud and ruts... is there any down side to using this setting as normal in snow driving?

M&R allows more wheelspin than GGS, whcih can be counter-productive on snow. Um, you've got a Snow mode - why use something else?

Post #166803 10th Jan 2013 4:36 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

It is quite simple really. if there is the cold white slippery stuff on the ground....don't go out in it! Smile

Should you have to, even given all the modern electrickery, bear in mind the soundest advice I ever got when being taught to drive off road by David Bowyer (back in the Series days!)........drive "as slow as possible but as fast as necessary". John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #166805 10th Jan 2013 4:44 pm
tdithomas

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

If your tires are OK and the driving conditions are "normal" winter roads with ice or snow less then lets say 20cm deep there is no need to fidle with anything than your driving style. A litle slower in the bends and coming into junctions is all it takes.

The Freelander 2 is an easy car to handle on ice and snow. It understeers just enough to give you the correct feedback and the ESP keeps your rear in if you try to do stupid things.

As for traction I towed a trailer of approx 13-1400kgs up to our cabin last weekend. The car was like a locomotiv and took us all the way up and back without any problems. The last 2-3 kilometers had 5-10cm's of fresh snow and there was no need for special programs, even reversing up a small hill to park the trailer

Click image to enlarge

Sorry for my english...

Post #166808 10th Jan 2013 5:02 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Never mind your English, respect is due in any language! Looks very dark where you are...... Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #166809 10th Jan 2013 5:06 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Your English is perfect - apart from the American spelling of tyres Smile

But as you are Norwegian I suspect you have proper winter tyres and much experience of snow driving. Over here most drivers (although not the OP, I note) are still running with worn summer tyres, and haven't a clue how to handle snow! Thus many of them end up in the ditch with only a dusting of white stuff! And 4x4 drivers are the worst offenders, thinking they're invincible because they've got a 4x4.

Post #166812 10th Jan 2013 5:10 pm
milky400

someone posted to use HDC going up hill, so can HDC be used to ascend? and what does it do?

Post #166813 10th Jan 2013 5:11 pm
tdithomas

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Thanks guys

Its dark in the evenings this time of the year Cool No use for shades...

Yes, I do have real winter tires, studded Pirelli Winter Carving Edge in 235/60-18. On my previous Land Rovers I have had mostly what we call soft friction tires made especially for snow and ice and most of them have been almost as good as studded tires except on ice and hard packed snow.

So my disclaimer was "if your tires are OK" Very Happy

Driving on worn out summer tires are stupid, a good fresh AT tire can be OK if you slow down and don't pretend you are Petter Solberg

Post #166816 10th Jan 2013 5:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>