Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Your snow driving wisdom.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Winter tyres are great, makes so much difference. Thumbs Up Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #168053 19th Jan 2013 8:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Jules - totally agree with your comments. Seeing so many performance RWD cars struggling is either down to the driver or the car. Being as the car works fine in much colder countries with 'winter' tyres on...that leaves the driver and lack of suitable tyres as the two most likely reasons.

Most people keep a car for 3 years - during that time you're likely to have to have changed the tyres at least once - why not buy a winter set and operate two sets over the life of the car?

I had white van man coming at me sideways around a corner on our quiet residential white roads...because he was driving like it was a hot summers days - numpty

I tend to drive much slower in the snow..even if the road 'appears' clear well GGS doesn't lend itself to going fast really does it? I like the assurance the FL2 and winter tyres bring but the best assurance is not to travel unless it is vital. I worked from home 3 days this week. Norwich has been a white out for what will soon be a week.

This is my first winter with an auto and I find it offers much better control/engine braking than the manual.

Post #168056 19th Jan 2013 9:52 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Agree - was amazed to see BMWs, vans etc just driving normally in a Belgian winter, all because they have (by law) winter tyres. Got my Wintracs on now and the car is faultless, but then it was pretty good on (new) Goodyears as well!

Post #168179 19th Jan 2013 11:19 pm
PaddyMcG

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

I've been running Matador Hectorra tyres since I bought my FL2 last summer. I was in two minds whether or not to change them to something I was more familiar with, not being familiar with the Matador brand. I did a bit of research, and found they were classed as a "Summer tyre".
Had a good dumping of snow on Friday (well, 2 inches), and decided to see how I got on, on the lanes near me. There's between 4 and 5mm of tread all round, so I thought I'd be fine.
Descended a steep-ish hill with HDC. All seemed ok. Went for a ride round, then tried to get back up.
Failed good style. Made worse by a couple of walkers, who thought it would be good to stand staring as I tried in vain to climb the hill. No grip whatsoever. At one point, I was sliding down the hill with the handbrake on, towards a tree by the side of the road. Ended up putting the auto into neutral, and letting it down gently with the help of the grass verge. Luckily there was another way out so I didn't have to abandon.
Got home, and went straight on line and ordered 4 Goodyear Wrangler AW tyres. Get them fitted tomorrow. Hope the snow holds on til then so I can try them out.
Anyone want 4 Matador Hectorra tyres? Form an orderly queue. Don't all rush at once.
They were shocking.

Post #168636 22nd Jan 2013 7:47 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Two days ago our neighbour backed his (BMW 3 series) car out into the road, spun the back wheels for a while, got me to push him back into the garage and vowed not to leave the house til the snow melted! Rolling with laughter ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #168638 22nd Jan 2013 7:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234