Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > wipers on start up?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Albert E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I have a Saab 9-3 Convertible which is nearly 8 years old. If the wipers are left on auto and you switch off, you have just to reset to auto next time you need them. It will also re-set the clock using the RDS signal.
...nearly 8 years old, I do wish my Freelander had 8-year old technology.
When I mentioned that frost on the screen and the blades frozen on is not good if the wipers come on to a LR Technician he told me they had cases of the drive shearing. Also iced up mirrors make an awful racket when you unlock so you wonder what expense lies in wait with them. I didn't get where I am today by being sensible!

Post #164267 13th Dec 2012 4:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Yep, I switch my wipers to 'off' auto during freezing conditions to prevent damage to the mech Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #164273 13th Dec 2012 5:45 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

WIPERS ON START UP IS CAUSED BY POOR EARTH !!!!!!!!!!!

I had this issue for 2 years, dealer claimed they had never heard of it & when my wiper mechanism bent due to the wipers frozen to the screen they wouldn't replace motor or rack under warranty ! & LR customer services said act of god !

Once I fitted the extra earth cable from the battery neg post to the engine block the wipers have never gone off on start up Thumbs Up & I believe they are triggered due to the sudden voltage drop at cranking !
Further electrical gremlins also turned out to be a corroded earth cable from battery to body ! totally rotten inside at just 14000 miles ! caused 4 replacement dash boards !

To test for bad earth put a voltmeter on the earth terminal of the battery and the other end to a bolt on the engine block. get someone to start the car when its cold. The reading must be no more then 0.03 volt. If its more and like mine 3.2 volts the earth is really poor ! A scope captures it better but an analog volt meter is ok.

Post #164325 14th Dec 2012 9:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234