Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2007 FL2 Automatic gearbox failure. Help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

And here proves that you should ALWAYS let the courts decide who is right or wrong and just do not except it..I knew you would take them to the county court and once you have done it you find a strength to do it again if you have to...good luck..

I think lr may be let back in on the case..depends really on the judge..and remember they are really only referees and you must provide their education for them... and county court judges need hand holding through consumer legislation..be very prepared...

Post #150968 12th Aug 2012 7:59 pm
andy_duncan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Well the Censored boiler is , and it may not surprise , that the Land Rover Customer Service Executive has openly lied.
She offered on behalf of Land Rover, twice on June 1st via conversations she instigated, to settle in full for me to drop the case.

I / we agreed on this.

She / Land Rover then has reneged on this and now claiming to see me in court and hit me for costs.
What 'til I pull the rabbit out of the hat in court proving she did do this, and Land Rover have wasted everyone's time and money to still take it to court once mediation and agreement was reached.

Post #150990 13th Aug 2012 8:55 am
andy_duncan

Sorry all to let you down.

The game of High stakes poke has gotten too big for my pocket / balls.
In court today, and had to concede and let them set aside the judgement against them, in an agreement brokered.
I Censored up a few of the details over the course of the last 6 months, and the Judgement is flakey for it.

To fight it, opened up the opposition to potentially hit me with their legal bills. So far they have a statement of bills showing £13k.

I tried. Took it as far as I could.
Sorry.

Post #153776 5th Sep 2012 8:52 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

well done for getting that far, it does take Balls. i know I have been there myself.
I guess it just leaves a bitter taste and another person who would never get involved with another Landrover ever !
My argument is that if customer service was better in the first place then surely a better balance could be achieved.

If LR had a 13k Bill surely it would of been cheaper for them to either supply a box FOC and just charge labour or help you out 50%

My own car was handled appallingly and if they had talked from day one I am sure we could of reached a compromise.

Post #153832 6th Sep 2012 10:49 am
andy_duncan

TBVH, if they knew / know that there is or was a Quality issue with the Gearbox, they should put their hands up, deal with it and move on (Quality issue is recognised - it states that in the Q106).
The 'Box is a third party supplied item and they should have put the screws on their supplier for each failed box.
I did get a goodwill - but this was at the time explained as being a good customer, and they denied any issue with the 'Box - they should accept their quality issues and deal with it, not hide under a charade.

As you say - bitter tastes all round and madness in the scale of escalation, denial - and sad to say - ultimate deceit by Land Rover Customer services, and Executive Officers of the company is pretty sad.

In contrast - I own also a beater Isuzu Trooper 3.0. Before everyone does a sharp intake of breath there, the 3.0D engine (a Caterpillar sourced unit) variant whilst more powerful, quieter and a better MPG than the crude 3.1D had issues with injectors that would leak - they could cause hydraulic compression and hence engine failure in a few occasions.

Isuzu did, and still do (for a vehicle no longer made remember, and a company with almost Zero UK presence) offer recalls on the Injectors FOC, and will actually replace the replacements in some cases.
Moreover they have and will stand by any engine failure caused by it, with an engine replacement FOC. At any age, any mileage.
That - to me is putting your hands up and being a responsible manufacturer.

Post #153835 6th Sep 2012 11:05 am
oldgeezer

Wow
I always liked the trooper. Thumbs Up
When i had my garage i did rebuild one that blew up due to injector seal failure, it had only done 37000 miles and 1 year out of warranty. It blew big time and at that time no units available so we had to build from a bare block.
I seem to remember it cost about 8K to build with turbo and all the other bits !

Hats of to them if they honour the warranty now days. Just goes to show l/rover have a lot to learn.

Post #153998 7th Sep 2012 8:55 am
alex_pescaru

andy_duncan wrote:
The 'Box is a third party supplied item and they should have put the screws on their supplier for each failed box.

50% true...
The box is indeed third party, but they've only supply "the hardware" - mechanics, electronics, etc. and a generic firmware.
The manufacturer of the car, LR in this case, makes the box's firmware, "the software".
So the way the box change gears, when, how, etc. is designed and programmed by LR.
The same in so many other cars/car's manufacturers that use the same box.
So if the firmware is bad designed, the hardware will eventually fail.
If it's indeed proved that this is because of a hardware design flaw, then the original producer of the box will support the damage and take measures. But in general, the software is the issue that leads to hardware fail.

Post #154027 7th Sep 2012 3:51 pm
andy_duncan

And I still remain £2,200 out of pocket regardless.

Bastards ......

Post #154034 7th Sep 2012 4:16 pm
oldgeezer

if no one bought a Landrover then Landrover would have a problem.

I have no idea what the problem is with the British tolerating appalling service and LR walking all over everyone.

I wish people would vote with their feet.

I know for sure 100% if i didn't have a caravan as large as i do then I would never ever glance at a LR again as they don't deserve the business !

That said i am considering a smaller van and then i can buy a car built by a decent manufacturer.

Post #154041 7th Sep 2012 5:47 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I am sorry to tell you this but in county courts both sides pay their own costs unless the judge rules it was a frivolous claim..You have been had..

Post #155294 21st Sep 2012 9:43 am
pooch

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Hi a friend told me about this site because my Freelander 2 verson D5H1 2007 suddenly lost speed on the Parisian Peripherique. A yellow light flashed which denoted transmission failure, gear failure refer to LR immediately. I had to get towed off the motorway to a dealer who told me I needed a new gear box. There is only 86,000 km and the car is seviced with LR every year, last service july 2012. From reading these blogs it would seem there is a real problem with the gear boxes on the 2007 model. The garage is contacting LR to see what they will offer towards the repair costs. I could have been killed on this very busy motorway , is it going to take a death before LR admit there is a serious fault with the 2007 Freelander.

Post #155307 21st Sep 2012 11:46 am
Iamfree2

United Kingdom 

oldgeezer wrote:
if no one bought a Landrover then Landrover would have a problem.

I have no idea what the problem is with the British tolerating appalling service and LR walking all over everyone.

I wish people would vote with their feet.

This has been a very informative and educational thread for me Thumbs Up

I have been looking into buying my first FL2 and today I had a short test drive and on balance liked it, I wanted an auto etc. so was interested in this thread.

I think I could live with an auto box failing after 50k miles if LR took that unfortunate event as a chance to "wow" the customer and build their brand value, but the fact that they would rather attack owners who have reasonable expectations of an auto box lasting for "life" is totally unacceptable.

I would like to thank all the contributors of this thread for sharing their experiences and enabling me to choose not to purchase a Land Rover vehicle.

Thank you Exclamation Thank you Exclamation Thank you Exclamation

I was very close to joining LR devotees and now I feel saved Embarassed

I will of course share my story with others and warn them against LR products Very Happy

Post #158823 26th Oct 2012 7:53 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Iamfree2 wrote:

I would like to thank all the contributors of this thread for sharing their experiences and enabling me to choose not to purchase a Land Rover vehicle.

Thank you Exclamation Thank you Exclamation Thank you Exclamation

I was very close to joining LR devotees and now I feel saved Embarassed

I will of course share my story with others and warn them against LR products Very Happy

Many owners join this forum because they have a problem with their car. Owners of all brands have varying degrees of experiances.
L/R have produced more than 250,000 L/R2's, i suggest you speak to the large silent majority we never hear from.

Don't forget, L/R is an important part of our economy, not to mention the UK based jobs both for itself and the UK supplier chain.
In light of my comments, I think for you to go round telling people not to buy L/R products is misplaced, misinformed and to some degree irresponsible. The UK Automotive Indusrty has had it's belly full of knee jerk reactions

Notwithstanding Toyota's new advertising film entitled 'Total Recall'. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Last edited by Pegleg on 26th Oct 2012 9:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #158844 26th Oct 2012 9:08 pm
ad210358

England 

It's a bit harsh to warn others after not having the experience first hand, after having Land Rover products for twelve years now and will be having another when the time comes, we don't build much here in the UK, if we can't support our own workforce we will continue down the slippery slope.

Post #158848 26th Oct 2012 9:19 pm
EYorkshire

@iamfree2, good for you Thumbs Up

on your bike, cos that's the only vehicle you might just get away trouble free for a while. You're obviously looking for Utopia, close the door on the way out Rolling Eyes

Post #158882 27th Oct 2012 12:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>