Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2007 FL2 Automatic gearbox failure. Help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
andy_duncan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

alex_pescaru wrote:
My opinion, on forums, most of the people came and complain about problems...
There are fewer people saying how good the car is, because they are out there enjoying it, than the people that come on forums looking for advice on their problems....
Of course, the people here are an exception, because this forum is a special/particular one... Laughing Laughing Laughing
But taking into account that LR2 is near or even past 300.000 pcs, according to VIN serial number, then I believe the transmissions are quite OK. If only 2-3% are with problems, which is more than OK, then this means almost 10.000 pcs with problems (failing trans. or DMFs). I don't think this is the case...
So, in LR's eyes, all is OK, for sure.

I agree in principle - most forums / websites are full of people with problems - not without.
Same thin on the Isuzu Trooper website I am on.

Post #137795 26th Mar 2012 11:48 pm
andy_duncan

Sorry to vere away from the Technical :

So JLR have not responded to my Letters of Pre-Action to taking them to court, so I am filing it in the morning via MCOL - www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

BTW. I have done loads of research since on the processes, and this little site is quite helpful to cut through the wheat.

http://www.howtotakesomeonetocourt.info/joomla/

Anyone want to laugh at my stubbornness - go ahead !

David v Goliath is on.

Post #138032 28th Mar 2012 11:04 pm
Valhalla

Scotland 

Good for you, and best of luck.

As it happens, the flushing operation that I did on the FL2 Auto a couple of weeks ago has not been 100% successful. Although the initial driveability was markedly improved, the same symptom of cold oil flare on gearshift between the lower four gears might appear to have returned to the owner concerned. I have yet to see the car back again, although it appears to be fine when the oil is hot, so I cannot say if the oil is contaminated or not (once again).

What I intend to do is to compare the oil with a sample that I kept from the box just after the flushing, to see if there is any significant deterioration (smell, colour, whatever), then go for a strip-down of the valve block with possible replacement (with a better reconditioned item).

So, flushing is no magic bullet for transmission woes on FL2 Rolling Eyes The man who makes his living fixing Landrovers will never go hungry.

Post #138983 7th Apr 2012 11:50 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

andy_duncan wrote:
Sorry to vere away from the Technical :

So JLR have not responded to my Letters of Pre-Action to taking them to court, so I am filing it in the morning via MCOL - www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

BTW. I have done loads of research since on the processes, and this little site is quite helpful to cut through the wheat.

http://www.howtotakesomeonetocourt.info/joomla/

Anyone want to laugh at my stubbornness - go ahead !

David v Goliath is on.

How you getting on? I am no stranger to the county courts as i demand my rights under the sale of goods act and have had Argos,curry s,pcworld and others into the courts and i am yet to lose a case....remember to index everything and provide three copies of evidence also the judges are not stupid and can often see through corporate bullshit..good luck

Post #142364 9th May 2012 2:59 pm
andy_duncan

interesting timing !
Just got home to find confirmation of the court action from the courts in Nottingham - they (Dealer who sold the car & JLR - both named as defendants) have until 21st to reply.

I have a lot documented, and will be compunding my notes now, and trying to think of the 'counter arguments' that could be raised.

Still, a dose of luck would be welcomed !!

Post #142379 9th May 2012 6:26 pm
alex_pescaru

@Valhalla
I was reviewing today the procedure you've used for draining the oil and noticed that you've said that the oil was quite foamy. See below.

Valhalla wrote:
Something that I noticed about the expelled oil from the cooler pipe was that it is incredibly foamy; I had assumed that the Mobil ATF would have some anti-foam properties built into its formulation, but it was quite a surprise to find that each bottle that was removed from the transmission had a lot of foam on its surface. If there is air being trapped in the oil, then this might affect the valve operation. I would have expected to see in the TF-81 sump design a method for removing the entrained air that is in the oil, but this is also missing.

Then I realized that in the beginning of the purge procedure you've said that you've also used compressed air in order to expel an additional quantity of oil. Also see below.
Valhalla wrote:
Using a 10mm hose on the ATF cooler stub, I was able to lightly pressurise and move clean air through the transmission whilst it was stationary. This purged a further 0.45litres of burnt fluid from the valve block and into the sump pan, which was collected via the main drain plug.

I believe that this is the reason that later the additional expelled oil was foamy...
What do you think? Could be?

Post #143093 15th May 2012 8:25 pm
andy_duncan

Bump - in case anyone is still interested.

After various advise I filed with MCOL (Small claims Court essentially) a claim against both LR and unfortunately the unsuspecting Dealer - who to be fair had been copied in on the last two rounds of Censored letters.

The Dealer has replied saying they will contest the claim.

Land Rover Failed to acknowledge or respond within the allotted 14+5 days, and I have requested a judgement on the matter in their absence.

Fingers crossed

Post #144300 28th May 2012 2:53 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Best of luck...were are still interested.

Courts don't tend to like people who don't respond so lets hope this goes in your favour. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #144302 28th May 2012 2:57 pm
andy_duncan

Just to keep updated.....

I issued a Warrant with the County Court on Wednesday 4th to send the Baliffs to Land Rover Group HQ to collect the £2,500 from the Judgement (in my favour) Whistle

They seemingly have been idiots on the legal and brought it on themselves.
Money is not in the bank yet though......

Post #148142 9th Jul 2012 9:22 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Fingers crossed for you. Thumbs Up

Post #148148 9th Jul 2012 11:15 am
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Any news?

Post #150511 7th Aug 2012 10:17 pm
andy_duncan

Yes as it happens.

It is a two horse race. I want one to finish so I can stop the other perhaps, but we will see.

I named the dealer AND Land Rover in the Claim.

The Dealer is following the protocol (which I am learning learning learning all the time!!) and it will be going to the small claims court via a Telephone conference mid September I believe. They have called an expert witness on Gearboxes apparently. So I am against it to prove the Quality claim I have. SOGA does state that it is to be considered in the eyes of the normal man, and I have an email from Honest John columnist in the DT suggesting it is a SOGA issue, and he has heard of a few, and I have a 100 person Poll from the PistonHeads website asking whether the performance of my 'box, is acceptable.
Other snippets and info collected too.

The other Horse - is Land Rover themselves. Due to twaddle such as the Dog eat their homework, they missed the boat, and I got a judgement against them.
They are crying foul, and stating I have named the wrong company, and want me to send it back to court. I named the exact details their Customer Services girl handling my case gave me to use. They are threatening that if I do not accept their request, I will bear their legal costs - a bluff they can not carry out. But they are spinning it and have been for a few weeks now.
Meanwhile 2 months has passed and the court is unlikely to consider the judgement is set aside and retried as thy have not acted promptly - a condition of requesting it being set aside.

Notwithstanding that, I had an oral agreement (twice) from them to settle in full which i have recorded and would pull out the bag if a trial to consider setting aside. Will make them look pretty stupid.
And of course the legal is costing them / will cost them more.

Oh, and I got a friendly High Court Baliff to issue a writ / warrant on them on Monday. They now have a HGigh Court Judgement against them. I am just waiting to hear the fallout on that.

Thoughts?

Post #150517 7th Aug 2012 10:58 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

good luck Andy.
keep us posted.
Its about time people woke up to the fact that landrover as a company are arrogant ! and don't deserve customers.

I think they forgot the fact that its customers that keep them going many years ago !

I assume this quote here came from somewhere ! tech bulletin or just here say ?
"
The latest edition of LRO magazine answers a question about whether auto or manual is best but goes on to say that there was a recall to recalibrate the shift patterns on the auto box. It says if this hasn't been done the 'box may only last around 50k miles as opposed to the 100k+ it should last for. Unfortunately the article doesn't say when the recall was made and which model years may be affected. It does say this can be checked through the LR themselves but I was wondering if any member of the forum was aware of this recall and can shed more light on it"

Posted on here few days ago ! & your miles were 51000 !
heres the link http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12797.html by RegG Thumbs Up

Last edited by oldgeezer on 8th Aug 2012 8:54 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #150522 8th Aug 2012 8:08 am
andy_duncan

Well thank you for that LRO snippet.

Anyone able to offer any further insight to this before I run to get a copy ?

Post #150525 8th Aug 2012 8:35 am
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

great thread this, please keep us updated as you progress your claim Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #150587 8th Aug 2012 8:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>