Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > jus been flashed by a speed camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

I suppose you have never gone just over the limit either Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93851 1st Mar 2011 11:45 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

As regards speeding, i was once seriously injured in a RTA (hence the name pegleg) which was not my fault in any way.
As a result of my injuries and having seen much heartache in hospital, i try to stay within the speed limits. But i must admit that sometimes i do accidently go over.
It's more or less impossible not to do so. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #93852 2nd Mar 2011 12:07 am
TrickiDicki

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Here's a point for discussion - should speed cameras be well advertised in order to promote reduction in speed in the vicinity of the camera, or should speed cameras be concealed and catch miscreants that are above the limit with no warning? Which has the great deterrent factor?
This from someone who just got nabbed by an unmarked cop car in a rural area Evil or Very Mad

Post #93864 2nd Mar 2011 5:29 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think they should be in full view as this causes lower speeds

Hidden are just revenue making machines Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93869 2nd Mar 2011 8:03 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Not sure about the rest of Oz, but in Western Australia we have mobile, black, single flash, forward facing cameras with the controller in a van which is normally hidden out of view.

Click image to enlarge

And about 50 meters down the road they have this sign... cheeky Censored ! Twisted Evil

Revenue raising? What do you think?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #93872 2nd Mar 2011 9:47 am
dunroof

I dont knowingly speed and if I do and get caught, fine, it's my fault, no one elses.

Personally, I think that instead of the present points system, it should be a 200 quid fine and a weeks disqualification every time someone is caught speeding - you need a decent deterant and yes, if need be, the cameras should be covert.

I make no apology for seeing this as a major contributory factor in serious and fatal road accidents. It's all a game for people until something happens. Life is too precious to make light of it. Imagine if someone you loved was killed by a speeding driver who came out with the, 'I was only 5 miles an hour over the limit.' You'd always wonder if that 5mph was the difference between life and death.

If you cant abide by the speed limit, lock the car up in the garage and take the train!

Post #93879 2nd Mar 2011 11:04 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Don't think the weeks ban is a good idea, people would be losing jobs left right and centre.
I think they should build in speed limiters into standard cars, that work like your satnav and won't allow the car to go any faster than the limit. Maybe an emergency override could be build in to override the system for a period of time. Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #93880 2nd Mar 2011 11:11 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Cruise control is my new best friend Thumbs Up
Saves a lot of worry about going over the limit.

Post #93882 2nd Mar 2011 11:24 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

They should scrap the points system and hurt your wallet instead for 'minor' speeding offences. Get caught doing 35mph in a 30 zone fine = £50, get caught doing 36-40mph fine £100, 41-45mph fine £150, 46-50mph fine £250, anything over 50mph in a 30mph zone should be £500 AND points.

Post #93883 2nd Mar 2011 11:30 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Speed cameras were intended to control speed in sensitive areas , accident blackspots etc.

Therefore they should be visible to be effective, what is the point of catching someone after the event, you need to prevent it happening.

Also if we have cameras and limits for speed then they should be realistic ( not just faster). There are many places where the limit is too high as well as too low.

Speed limits should also depend on road conditions , in France , for example the upper limit is reduced in rain and poor visibility.

Maybe motorways and major trunk routes could have higher limits at quiet times , maybe 1 am to 5 aam.?

Post #93884 2nd Mar 2011 11:32 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The road where i was 'possibly' caught is a long uphill dual carriageway and 40mph, big open grassland to the left, central reservation to the right and the other 2 lanes and then houses, the section they were set up on was just before the traffic lights were the accidents happen, but also there have been kids crossings at school kick out times

I hold nobody but myself accountable, if i was caught, after all it was only me in my car Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93885 2nd Mar 2011 11:43 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Quote:
They should scrap the points system and hurt your wallet instead for 'minor' speeding offences.

That would be fine for all the honest folk who would pay up but what about all the ones who dont pay insurance, tax etc? They would just ignore it.

Post #93888 2nd Mar 2011 12:34 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

dunroof wrote:
I dont knowingly speed and if I do and get caught, fine, it's my fault, no one elses.

Personally, I think that instead of the present points system, it should be a 200 quid fine and a weeks disqualification every time someone is caught speeding - you need a decent deterant and yes, if need be, the cameras should be covert.

I make no apology for seeing this as a major contributory factor in serious and fatal road accidents. It's all a game for people until something happens. Life is too precious to make light of it. Imagine if someone you loved was killed by a speeding driver who came out with the, 'I was only 5 miles an hour over the limit.' You'd always wonder if that 5mph was the difference between life and death.

If you cant abide by the speed limit, lock the car up in the garage and take the train!

All that is using a sledgehammer when a scalpel should be used. Many speed limits are inappropriate.

On the one hand many areas (eg outside schools) aren't restricted enough, on the other hand in many areas (eg on motorways) the current limits are too low.

And a lot of speeding-related accidents are caused in cars that aren't fit for purpose anyway (eg poor brakes).

Also, I'd be in favour of something along the lines of the French system where the speed limit is lower in wet / foggy conditions. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #93893 2nd Mar 2011 12:58 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

snappa wrote:
Quote:
They should scrap the points system and hurt your wallet instead for 'minor' speeding offences.

That would be fine for all the honest folk who would pay up but what about all the ones who dont pay insurance, tax etc? They would just ignore it.

crush their car - dont give them the 'we'll take it to a compound and you can collect when someone comes with you who is insured' crap! This country is to soft nowadays. If you cannot afford tax, insurance or an MOT you SHOULDNT BE ON THE ROAD!!

Post #93895 2nd Mar 2011 1:08 pm
dunroof

Drink/Drug Driving, Speeding, Carless/Reckless Driving, Construction and Use offences etc, are all designed so that individual motorists, pedestrians and the like can use the road/roadway/pavement in relative safety.

We are all drivers and we all drive a ton and a half of metal in the presence of others where one mistake, one slip could potentially maim or kill either someone else or indeed you, the driver. It wont matter then what model, colour or anything else your FL2 is. It all pales into insignificance.

The irony is how many times have people seen speeders and cursed them, saying they will cause an accident or kill someone, then the next moment, when we see a speed trap, we flash like it's going out of fashion! Let the cops catch them, rather that than the consequences. How would you feel if you flashed a speeder, then found out they had killed someone 10 miles further down the road? Would you get over it? Would you be stuck with the images of the dead in your mind when you went to sleep? Would it make it any better it was an adult as opposed to a kid? A man as opposed to a woman? The list is endless. Could you live with it, full stop?

The same senario applies to potential drunk/drug drivers, careless/reckless drivers, even going to mobile phone abusers or simply construction and use offences like tyres, bodywork condition or the likes of lighting offences, even seatbelt regs. Do you take the sitting on the fence option and say I am not getting involved, someone else will report it. As adults we all have a responsibility to ensure our roads/streets are safe. If you can't hack it, ship out. The amount of deaths and injuries on our roads is appauling and it wont get better without people taking responsibility not only for their own driving, but that of others.

Post #93911 2nd Mar 2011 2:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>