Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > jus been flashed by a speed camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

Didn't affect my insurance at all. Weirdly they didn't care about the one-week ban, they were only interested in points and for some reason I wasn't given any. Strange people insurers.

Post #91973 14th Feb 2011 10:42 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Past Master - do you not have an endorsent on your licence from the ban?? In which case they might be interested in that? I'm not sure what it was for but for example if it was speeding, surely you have an SP30 (Speeding) for example which will be on your licence for 4 years??

I only say this as if you have an accident and your insurers use this against you, you might find yourslef without any insurance... Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #91977 14th Feb 2011 11:02 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

"What acceptable limit, the limit now is the speed limit and they allow you 10% error NO + I know as I was caught at 34 in a 30. The + was removed a few years when the rules changed allowing the authorities to keep some of the monies raised"

The speed at which you get a Fixed penalty ticket varies from police force area to police force area. The speed is agreed between the Chief constable and the Procurator Fiscal (Scotland) I assume its the crown presecution service in England and Wales?

I must confess that I have issued many speeding tickets in the past using HHR and using the Follow method.

Very Happy Very Happy

Post #91983 14th Feb 2011 11:56 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

AiiEEX wrote:

I have a built in radar detector ...... they're not allowed in the UK (legally anyway Wink ) DOH!

Most of the internet sites which still sell them don't think so. Many GPS units now have removable sensors so you can use them in France where they are definitely not legal.

Laser jammers are more questionable - perverting the course of justice.......

The things I hate are the flashing signs when they are set lower than the limit and flash at you when you are driving right on the limit (using a GPS indicator). Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #92117 15th Feb 2011 9:00 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Captain W - told them all about it and they weren't interested. Anyway it's long gone now, and I can genuinely say I've never had any points on my licence! Cool

Post #92314 17th Feb 2011 6:33 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Forget about the '10% +2' rule...I know a mate that was caught, apparently doing 85 on his bike in a 60. He replied to the NIP with a letter stating he wasn't going at anymore than 66 and would like to take the matter to court.

He proved he was doing 66 to the court and...got over £150 in costs and fines plus 3 points. If you're over the speed limit you're over the limit. Most cameras don't flash within the 10% + 2 rule, but if they do you aren't automatically off!!

I'd take it on the chin. My insurance after I had to go to court for doing 66 in a 30, in a van (don't judge I know I was a complete idiot Embarassed ) went up by the grand total of...£50, on a 4 figure insurance sum. Incidentally I walked away from court with 6 points and an £80 fine and no ban Very Happy Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #92318 17th Feb 2011 7:02 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

Skypilot617 wrote:
AiiEEX wrote:

I have a built in radar detector ...... they're not allowed in the UK (legally anyway Wink ) DOH!

Most of the internet sites which still sell them don't think so. Many GPS units now have removable sensors so you can use them in France where they are definitely not legal.

Laser jammers are more questionable - perverting the course of justice.......

The things I hate are the flashing signs when they are set lower than the limit and flash at you when you are driving right on the limit (using a GPS indicator).

Detectors that work by detecting the emissions from the camera are illegal to use, though not to own.

Detectors that work by GPS positioning and a database of camera positions are perfectly legal. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #92324 17th Feb 2011 7:49 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The stance on detectors are that you can use them perfectly legally, for both gps based systems and the detection systems using sensors. However, it's illegal to use systems which block the laser fired from the speed gun, therefore making it impossible for the police to get a speed reading. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #92372 18th Feb 2011 12:01 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Good news! On my way home from work yesterday and noticed that someone had set fire to a fixed speed camera Rolling with laughter

Post #92390 18th Feb 2011 4:29 pm
taztastic

England 

flycop2000 wrote:
Good news! On my way home from work yesterday and noticed that someone had set fire to a fixed speed camera Rolling with laughter

This site is a real tonic... http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2b.htm

Paul

Post #92391 18th Feb 2011 4:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Have you heard anything Question

After my one and only trip out today I have the two week wait now also Evil or Very Mad

Cameravan parked at side of road, saw him and was just over the 40mph, long straight road but it depends on his boundaries he can take readings from

Guess it's going to be a long 2 weeks Big Cry Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93785 1st Mar 2011 6:47 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

just been offrerd a Speed awarness course today instead of points and of course rang them and paid up front, better than points on the licence. cost 75 quid and localish at garforth, leeds

4 hours long though Big Cry freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #93787 1st Mar 2011 6:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

A chap I work with is there tomorrow on his Confused

I live in Garforth, hotels nice enough for a holiday inn, beers expensive if you have lunch with the instructors Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93797 1st Mar 2011 7:12 pm
EYorkshire

Two years ago I got flashed in a 30 mph limit just after I missed the reduction from 40mph in Bristol, I was offered the awareness course but only in Bristol as there was not a local alternative then. Set off from East Yorkshire at 4.00am for the 8.45am start, sat/slept through the course then drove home, I wandered how many points I might have gathered on that 450 mile jaunt! Luckily none.

Post #93830 1st Mar 2011 10:10 pm
dunroof

If you dont want the punishment and the possibility of a kid or somone actually wearing your bonnet on their skulls, dont speed - simples! Rolling Eyes

I've no patience with speeders or people making light of speeding. It kills, period! When will some people learn? When it happens to them?

Post #93845 1st Mar 2011 11:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>