Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Speccing up a FL2 - Any Must Have's?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
hutchingsp

Speccing up a FL2 - Any Must Have's?

Speccing up an FL2 and would appreciate any feedback on any must have options please.

Still debating the sunroof so here's where I'm at right now, hopefully what I'd call a practical spec with nothing obvious missing and nothing crazy added:

Model & Engine
Freelander 2.2 SD4 XS - Automatic

Exterior
Stornoway Grey - Metallic
17 inch 5-Split Spoke Alloy Wheel Style 2

Interior
Ebony/Ebony Napoli Leather
Black Element (metallic effect)

Options
Rear tailgate mounted spoiler
Privacy glass
Stowage
Audio system – Digital Radio (DAB)
ARMREST PACK Front driver and passenger armrests and rear centre armrest with storage compartment and two cupholders

Thanks in advance.

Post #87209 9th Jan 2011 7:00 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I think the 11my XS comes with a heated screen but if it doesn't I would consider that a must have option.

Maybe a spare wheel too, I'm not a fan of tyre gunge on cars where the spare is omitted for weight or space reasons so I think it's madness on a car like the Freelander.

Last edited by weirdfish on 9th Jan 2011 7:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #87210 9th Jan 2011 7:07 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Weirdfish beat me to it, definitely go for the heated screen, it’s been great these last few weeks

Post #87211 9th Jan 2011 7:09 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

my xs has no front screen heater if thats an option do it (just think you can sit in the car and watch other people scrape as your screen magicaly defrosts Smile )

also individual arm rest on the front seats (if pos) and if your upgrading the stereo a 6 cd changer thingy)

Post #87213 9th Jan 2011 7:16 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

For me the sunroof was a definite - and its a lovely large one (two in fact) that makes all the difference to the lightness of the interior. Also its useful to leave open when the dog is in the car in the summer whilst we are in the shop - leaving the car in the shade of course.

That's assuming I can work out how not to put the volumetric car alarm on - one thing they could leave of every car so far as I am concerned. They are a total nuisance and, so far as I can tell, no-one ever calls the fuzz anyway when they do go off!

With all those extras wouldn't you be just as well going for a HSE which has them all included? Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #87214 9th Jan 2011 7:31 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

For me the winter pack - heated screen, washer nozzles, seats and xenon headlights - has been brilliant to have in the recent cold spell.

Although they can be nice to have, in my experience, sunroofs can be prove to be a source of (unwanted) leaks as the cars get older - seals deteriorate, drain tubes block etc. and difficult to sort.

Also, just to echo a point made above :- I bought a used XS which had been heavily spec'd up - basically everything except satnav but it still went for XS money. The extras just made it more desirable not really worth anymore. So I would be careful unless you are going to keep it for a good while. Dealers don't tend to look much past the trim badge when valuing them for trade-in etc.

Post #87215 9th Jan 2011 7:45 pm
hutchingsp

Thanks all so far.

Point taken on not going overboard on the options - coming from a Boxster believe me I know about the amount you can spend on options, but it's not something I tend to go crazy on as you can hopefully see from the reasonably small amount I've added to the XS.

The heated windscreen is standard on the XS, really the leather upgrade, DAB, privacy glass, and armrests are about all I'm fussed about and, as I said, I'm considering the sunroof and would probably add it as it's already a big old change from the Boxster.

Not bothered about Xenon's, not at a grand or so, not bothered about a CD auto changer as it's one thing I actually don't use.

Post #87218 9th Jan 2011 8:06 pm
geordiedancer71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

furry dice Thumbs Up Anyhoo off oot on me mobike.....

Post #87220 9th Jan 2011 8:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I think the 11 model year XS has a 6 disc cd changer, sub & 9 speakers. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #87221 9th Jan 2011 8:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Privacy Glass - Totally transforms the look
Winter Pack - As its getting colder, for longer
Bluetooth Integration - I'm always getting calls in the car Smile

XS - comes with the winter/cold climate pack and bluetooth as standard i think. A local firm will do post-factory privacy glass (film) for £220 or less

Last edited by maffs on 9th Jan 2011 9:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #87224 9th Jan 2011 8:48 pm
hutchingsp

Not as standard, just single slot.

http://www.landrover.com/content/gb/en/PDF...DF_GWS.pdf

Suggests that if you upgrade the XS to Napoli leather @ £410 it includes the armrests and you don't need to add the armrest pack.

Post #87225 9th Jan 2011 8:50 pm
maffs

hutchingsp wrote:

Suggests that if you upgrade the XS to Napoli leather @ £410 it includes the armrests and you don't need to add the armrest pack.

I like the thinking Smile

Post #87229 9th Jan 2011 9:04 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

maffs wrote:
A local firm will do post-factory privacy glass (film) for £220 or less

Be aware that the aftermarket will be film added to your glass whereas the oem privacy glass is actually tinted glass at the point of build. I wanted this also but there were no cars available with it fitted that also had the cold climate pack, and in the colours I wanted. The heated windscreen was more important to me so I passed on the glass with a view to getting it done later.

My only worry now is to have the tinting done properly the door panels need to be removed to access the rear door glass. I may leave it a couple months after I get the car so the worry of taking apart a brand new car feeling has faded a bit.

Post #87234 9th Jan 2011 9:33 pm
maffs

weirdfish wrote:
maffs wrote:
A local firm will do post-factory privacy glass (film) for £220 or less

Be aware that the aftermarket will be film added to your glass whereas the oem privacy glass is actually tinted glass at the point of build. I wanted this also but there were no cars available with it fitted that also had the cold climate pack, and in the colours I wanted. The heated windscreen was more important to me so I passed on the glass with a view to getting it done later.

My only worry now is to have the tinting done properly the door panels need to be removed to access the rear door glass. I may leave it a couple months after I get the car so the worry of taking apart a brand new car feeling has faded a bit.

Without question you'd have it done at the factory unless you have to buy used (like i had to).

Post #87236 9th Jan 2011 9:38 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Auto
Privacy Glass - better that after market film IMO
Sunroof - I love them (as do the kids) despite possible problems later and rattly ice in the winter
Quick clear screen
Arm rests are a must
Soft leather steering wheel (if not standard) I really miss mine out of the BM
Spare wheel

Dont bother with 6 disks... its slow and noisy - just get an iPod Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #87237 9th Jan 2011 9:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>